To PPF or not

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Italianpaul

To PPF or not

Post by Italianpaul » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:42 pm

i am looking at the possible benefits of getting the 4 ( due early 2021) a full rap in PPF including wings.

Firstly, is it worth it as there have been comments in previous posts regarding insurance companies having a problem with PPF whether declared or not.

Secondly, the 4 will spend 70% of its life on track.

Thirdly, the 4 is going to be in full carbon livery.

So far, out of 5 companies that I have contacted, (two have been mentioned in previous posts) only one company has come back to me with a price.
I should have had a LARGE scotch in my hand when I got the quote. It came in at :

All external painted sections, lights & carbon fiber lacquered panels.
£2,395.00 + VAT

All of the above options include a full paintwork decontamination, cleanse and multi-stage wash. Following this, the car would receive a full clay-bar to eradicate any stubborn contaminants on the paint's surface. The car would then undergo a thorough inspection prior to any film being laid to ensure the paint is in the best possible condition.

Is it just me, or does that seem a massive amount for some stick on self healing film.

I know there is a lot of preparation work involved. and it is a time consuming operation. I had a figure of £1200 to £1500 in mind. Am I being totally unrealistic and a tight-arse or or is the above figure within the ball park.

As I have no comparison and failing to get further quotes, is there an issue ( lots of unexpected hard work) with the 4.

The two companies mentioned in previous posts have not quoted yet but were both asked about 4 weeks ago.

Any comment both positive and negative welcome.

Paul

phil4

Re: To PPF or not

Post by phil4 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:51 pm

full paint work decon and clay bar? you've said it's lacquered carbon fibre... no paint to mess with. So yes, I think they're taking the piss/just putting in standard posh sounding sales tosh in there.

But, depending on which bits you were doing it might be about right. ie if it's just the CF panels then yes, I think it's way over the top. If it goes into the framework etc, then I suspect there's a lot more work involved.

And I think that's mainly what you're paying for, the labour required to prep, and do it properly. But equally I think you see so many places doing this now because there's so much money to be made in it.... with quotes like that.

As to whether you go through with it, that's entirely down to you. I've yet to PPF any car, nor my Atom and never lost any money on resale because of the odd stone chip. Sure if you're using on track, you'll likely get more, but I still can't see the price suffering much.

Just my thoughts, as someone who's never bothered :)

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:25 pm

I’m glad you asked this - I’ve never bothered and similarly contacted a few places for quotes for next spring. Also haven’t made my mind up about doing it but can see me regretting not doing it if it ends up peppered. Quote was lower but then I’m not getting wings.
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:58 pm

Very serious question, but does PPF actually guard against stone chips?

I get that a layer of clear film can protect paint from splattered tar, bird shite and other paint contaminats, but does it work on stone chips? I know the factory ship new cars with certain areas protected by 'helicopter tape', but there are reports of this being more delicate to scratching than the actual paintwork itself.

I've no idea how thick this PPF stuff is, so it may well do. I have no idea.

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:09 am

Karl V wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:58 pm Very serious question, but does PPF actually guard against stone chips?

I get that a layer of clear film can protect paint from splattered tar, bird shite and other paint contaminats, but does it work on stone chips? I know the factory ship new cars with certain areas protected by 'helicopter tape', but there are reports of this being more delicate to scratching than the actual paintwork itself.

I've no idea how thick this PPF stuff is, so it may well do. I have no idea.
I think the PPF is typically pretty good. Here's a video of some guy going pretty wild with a key and it looks like it has protected the paint:

I wish I'd got some on the front of the Tesla because the paintwork is like chocolate :doh:

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:49 pm

:tu:

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:43 pm

There are really only three parts of the car that get battered. Bonnet paintwork, front third of the rear mudguards and the rear wishbones and drive shafts. That’s all I would cover, for a very clean car when you come to sell. There is a point at which the PPF job far exceeds the cost of leaving it uncovered and making a few cosmetic repairs.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Italianpaul

Post by Italianpaul » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:10 pm

Thanks Steve, that is the conclusion I have come to. There is no need to do the whole of the Atom with PPF as it doesn't really get the abuse with the exceptions of the areas you have mentioned.. That will save a fortune as I have had a couple more quotes around the 3k mark. Silly money, its nearly cheaper to replace the panels.
As Phil said more people are jumping on the gravy train and doing PPF and charging top dollar for it. After watching numerous videos on the subject, it appears that small areas are well within the capability of most of us.
So I'll be testing my ability in the very near future.

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:45 pm

There is a fitter about 15 miles from Ariel. He did the bonnet on my 4 a few weeks before delivery. James at South West Tinting on 07787 575878. Very thorough job.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

SvenTheHammer

Post by SvenTheHammer » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:29 am

Steve Gibson wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:45 pm There is a fitter about 15 miles from Ariel. He did the bonnet on my 4 a few weeks before delivery. James at South West Tinting on 07787 575878. Very thorough job.
That’s very handy for new owners, not wanting to risk picking up a stone chip on the way home from pick up. Most of us live quite a distance from the factory.👍

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:25 pm

Steve Gibson wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:45 pm There is a fitter about 15 miles from Ariel. He did the bonnet on my 4 a few weeks before delivery. James at South West Tinting on 07787 575878. Very thorough job.
Thank you for that :tu:
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:56 pm

Get the front face of all the wishbones (front and rear), pushrods, and driveshafts done as well as the bonnet and front of the mudguards minimum.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.