Winter Storage Prep

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Carl

Winter Storage Prep

Post by Carl » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:50 pm

I'm going to be putting my atom in storage for the next 3/4 months or so as won't have access to a garage until some time next year, so it's likely it won't be driven for some time. I can access it if I want to, so it might get driven but I'm going to work on the assumption it won't.

So 2 question regarding storage for that period of time, is it sufficient to just run it up to temp every 4 weeks to keep the battery happy or should I stump up for a trickle charger? It has a battery master cut-off so presumably it won't be pulling any/hardly any charge.

What about inflating tyres to avoid flat spots, it will be moved a bit during storage to help relieve this, but is it worth inflating the tyres, and if so, what sort of pressure do you think would be good?

TIA

Jerry

Re: Winter Storage Prep

Post by Jerry » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:28 pm

Tell me about it, ordered my Nomad 2 years ago, while in Dubai. Received it this year while in Hong Kong and only achieved 300 miles after collection in the UK.

It's just in the garage, without specific storage organised.

It's currently parked in the garage at home with CTEK charger connected. Starting to think what's the point, as with COVID and quarantine restrictions I can't get back to the UK to drive it. https://jerryflint.co.uk/vehicles/cars/nomad/

phil4

Post by phil4 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:48 pm

I stored my Atom over one winter away from home (garage was being rebuilt). I just inflated the tyres a few more PSI than normal, and kept the battery on a CTEK. It was fine 6 months later.

Unless you're going to drive it, I'm not sure I'd recommend running it every month. I appreciate you saying you'll do it up to temp, but I still wouldn't. Can't be sure you'll get the oil warm enough, and not sure it has any real benefits.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:42 pm

If you've got a tracker installed, it 'should' still draw power for that if the battery master switch is off.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:04 pm

Laying up for Winter?

Here's some relevant reading from a previous thread :-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13221
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Alec

Post by Alec » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:12 am

Firstly, I always have a Trickle Charger plugged into my Atom if it's going to sit in the garage for more than a couple of days, and it's still running on the original battery that came with it in 2006.
As for petrol going off, I wouldn't be concerned for such a short time, as I've just sold Nadine's old Golf GTi, which came off the road in 2013 and then wasn't even turned over after the battery failed in 2015.
Not long before it was taken off the road, when she bought her MR2, the tank had been filled up, and due to it having some sort of "anti-syphoning" fitting in the filler hose, the petrol sat there in it on the drive for seven years.
The buyer freed up the clutch by pumping it a number of times, then to my amazement, it started on the first turn of the key and sounded as though it was running fine, and able to be manoeuvred around on the drive before getting driven onto a breakdown vehicle to be taken away.
If a tank of petrol left in a car for seven years outside did that, then I think a couple of months in a garage over winter should be fine.