Part for help for new owners / part sharing my excitement

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
robfitz

Re: Part for help for new owners / part sharing my excitement

Post by robfitz » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:35 pm

That phone mount looks very neat 👍
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:02 pm

Latest instalment, I’ve finished off my carpets. The floor started showing wear and tear already by both heel rubbing and stones scratching. I haven’t stuck them down as the bottom layer is sticky rubber so doesn’t appear to move an inch but need to take it for a spin at the weekend to test!

Any thoughts or ratings, for £30 I thought they weren’t a bad feel but sadly it’s not Astro turf Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:10 pm

Awesome, I wouldn't mind doing something like that as the tub does seem to get easily scratched. Where did you buy the carpet? I'm guessing you just cut to size?

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:19 am

A friend helped me order, basically 3mm rubber cut to size and then sub woofer cloth glued on top. Easier than expected.

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:52 pm

Dragging up an old thread - is the base quadlock kit the motorcycle handlebar mount?

Do you just plug the wireless charger into a USB socket or is it hardwired?

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:26 pm

Hi Rob,

I selected for the USB charging ports when I bought the car, it’s a simple USB to USB-C lead.

As for the mounts, I bought 3 90* elbows, a vibration dampener and finally a weatherproof wireless charging head.

Have to say it’s priceless, you can fully adjust it and the weatherproof wireless charger is great for either music to my packtalk bold or for keeping the phone charged whilst using google maps.

Hope that helps

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:44 pm

Thank you - does sound ideal.

Just wanted to check those bits weren’t on top of one of the round a bar clamps (below) to connect to a chassis tube, the first elbow just bolts to a flat panel?
0F92BD41-C8D3-46AF-BBB3-7DD3B3BD7B95.jpeg
0F92BD41-C8D3-46AF-BBB3-7DD3B3BD7B95.jpeg (236.63 KiB) Viewed 402 times
Haven’t got the car yet so will probably be easier when I have it in front of me.

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:51 pm

I didn’t use this, I simply bolted one of the 90* elbows on to the rail where the brake bias is attached. They already have pre drilled holes so easy.

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:52 pm

Excellent - thank you

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:24 am

In the down time, I’ve tried to keep myself a little busy with some minor changes, two down, one to go.

Firstly I went for the black titanium bolts. On reflection; would the average person immediately notice the difference? Probably not but I have to say I love them.

Two more to get as I ordered a couple of 16’s when I needed 20mm’s so they will be complete soon enough:

Secondly I took the exhaust off. Tried some wet and dry then went down the polishing levels of grit. Overall it’s ok, not quite happy with it so will try the final stages again but it’s much better than it was for a non factory polished version.

You can see in the first photo when I’m half way through that the top pipe was quite the different colour:

Lastly, I bought some clear acrylic 4mm in a large sheet (enough to make 4x side panels) that’s my next job. Again I’ve ordered some matching black bolts to keep the aesthetics as close as possible.

Any tips on the final finish on the exhaust or making the acrylic finish look good? I think I’ll try the router to cut and then some wet and dry plus a gas torch to try and finish it.

Luckky

Part for help for new owners / part sharing my excitement

Post by Luckky » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:23 am

So, my latest attempt to pre occupy myself in the colder months was to make some side panels. I bought a clear acrylic 4mm sheet from the local plastic store with enough to make 4 panels with some left over.

I cut out the rough side panels leaving 2mm spare to sand off. After some testing, the router did a better job than a jigsaw so I went with that.

After checking the fitting for sizing, I sanded with a mouse sander from 40 grit, all the way up to 3000 grit. I could go further and polish all the edges but they look good enough, completely smooth, the hardest part was the 40 grit as the router at time did leave some gouges so this took some time.

On to attaching the panels then. After a few tests drilling the holes, some cracked going straight to the 6mm bit so I started with 3mm pilot holes first, then I bored them out to the right size.

I used masking tape to hang the panels in place and then marked out where to drill. I bought some black m6 20mm bolts and nyloc nuts to match the ones that I recently fitted to replace the stainless steel ones. I fabricated some 2mm rubber washers to go in between the acrylic and the chassis and black stainless steel washers behind the nyloc nuts.

Anyone got any views on how they hold up with wear and tear? I didn’t know if it was worth PPF’ing them seeing as it’s an easy job?