Part for help for new owners / part sharing my excitement

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Luckky

Post by Luckky » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:47 pm

Hi all,

The purpose of the thread is to go back to the start of my atom journey quite a few years ago, track my journey through to now and keep posting photos and logging my experiences.

Im keen to get the people with loads of experience to jump in and add to my thoughts or give differing opinions as the beauty of an Ariel is that they can be built for your personal requirements so what’s right for one won’t always work for the next person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luckky

Re: Part for help for new owners / part sharing my excitement

Post by Luckky » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:59 pm

Part 1 - where it all began February 2007

Like many of us I was captured by Clarkson’s first video, the moment I saw his face getting twisted into something more grotesque than usual, I was hooked. He described it as one of the most beautiful cars in the world.... I agree.

From then on I researched Ariel, their motorbike history and their renewed focus on performance cars.

I couldn’t afford to buy one at that point and couldn’t see an option on how I would so the dream was parked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:35 pm

Part 2 - May 2015

I finally saved up some money for a car and started looking. I joined this forum where I found some really knowledgeable people, some great information how to guides, lots of opinions and much much more.

Still probably the best way to find second hand, clean version of Ariel for sale.

Started looking seriously in to how I could scare myself in an Atom.

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:38 pm

Part 3 - 2016

Procrastinated my way through last year...... fell in love with my wife, moved to a house I couldn’t afford with no garage to even put a car in, bought an engagement ring I really couldn’t afford and accepted my poor company car would have to take back to the abuse of driving ‘swiftly’

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:55 pm

Part 4 - July 2018

The 4 is finally released at Goodwood and I couldn’t wait any longer, I asked for the options list off Tom and Henry at the factory, there wasn’t one... but I robbed the wife of her next holiday and put a deposit down..... just 2yrs to go and still no garage to keep it in

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:06 pm

Part 5 - July 2019 a trip to the factory

This was really useful, what a brilliant group of people.

I was able to understand loads of the options on the spec sheet, talk through how I will be personally using my car when it was built and therefore with the help of Tom, start specc’ing the options that were right for me. I had a strict budget of £48k so knew I couldn’t come over that which was tough.

Still no garage... but I did get to see a 4 in the flesh!Image

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:17 pm

Part 6 - August 2020

After frankly annoying Tom (he would never say it) with a monthly call to see when my build slot was up, I got a ‘I was going to call you today, we think we are getting ready for your spec’ from Tom.... months of chatting on the forum, months of constantly changing my mind on options, getting frustrated on my £48k strict budget came down to having to fill out the form and send it off.

Do I delay it and procrastinate some more, what if I pick the wrong options.... will delaying it delay the delivery.

So I did the only right thing, realised I couldn’t afford the car I wanted, went through the options that were much more costly to retrofit and got the cheapest possible Atom I could get for my use.... so pleased I stuck to my guns and didn’t spend anywhere close to £15k above my budget.....

Spec locked in, worried will the wife find out (new worry, will the wife read this forum) my order was sent off after some great insight from people like [mention]markwetherall[/mention] and Simon who’s no longer on this forum.

So many different and conflicting views it was tough but I got what I wanted and just had to figure out how I’d pay for the second half but that was a future problem to sort.

I doubt I’m close to being the richest owner of an Ariel Atom more likely the opposite, the 5 kids between me and my wife see to that but it was a great feeling that I was one step closer.

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:21 pm

Part 7 - The day after I locked in my spec and sent the second deposit

Tom, what would happen if I changed my spec, could I add a few things in and change some bits around..... no.

I think if Tom hadn’t of been that blunt it would have been a nightmare for him so good decision Tom.

Thoughts now where;
I went for basic seatbelts as I was thinking of getting Red ones and frankly that’s how tight I pushed my budget so a problem to resolve later.
What extra gear would I need to pick it up in, I had an Arai helmet so tick, no gloves and starting to worry it might be getting a bit cold when it would be due to be picked up.Image

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:35 pm

Part 8 - 03 November 2020

A great start to the afternoon, the first photo of my car.

I really wanted to see the build and as yet another visit was cancelled to see her in build, Tom was really accommodating of me sending an old digital camera down to the factory to keep my up to date on the photos.

Here she is, not much to her at the moment but you can see the beauty being created. For the eagle eyed person, you will see the pure basic options that my small budget allowed for, I couldn’t possibly have got a car without the carbon lights, number plate tidy and body work so like I say, I only went for the bare essentials.

I’m starting to worry now that Tom has said she could be ready before Christmas if an IVA slot can be accommodated.

What’s wrong with a 350 mile drive back home from the factory with no gloves and an overpowered go cart (as my friends have called it) in Winter?

Still very excited to see the first photo though and I really must sort a garage!

apr1962

Post by apr1962 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:46 pm

Thanks for your write up. I was there yesterday to spec mine.

Out of interest what options did you go for in the end.

Thanks
Andrew

Colzo

Post by Colzo » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:11 pm

A great idea of a thread and lovely to see your dream coming to fruition.

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:14 pm

Here is my spec.

I’ll be doing c. 10/20% track time hence the AP’s and Ohlins.

A few what some would say are ‘not needed safety features’ but this is my first Atom and they can be turned off.

Finally some nice carbon pieces as I wanted these longer term and the upgrade cost is bloody expensive to retrofit.

Thoughts?

Corky

Post by Corky » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:18 pm

Nice spec. Keep the updates coming
Atom 4
Porsche 992 GTS

apr1962

Post by apr1962 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:39 pm

What happened, in part 6 you said you were sticking to the £48k budget, did you get a big discount😉

Yours is almost identical to mine, but mine is no where near £48k

What colour frame ar3 you going for, mine will be titanium.

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:44 pm

Good question re budget..... I’m normally quite well reserved and controlled but seeing as this is the first ever new car I have bought, my impulse got the better of me.

You can see my car in build above, it’s the gunmetal grey, seeing as I had carbon panels I wanted something slightly off black to try and give it some tone.