Minefield

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Fastlane

Re: Minefield

Post by Fastlane » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:07 pm

cvjoint wrote:
Fastlane wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:55 am 3.5 steering upgrade
Any more info on this steering update? :pop: :pop: :pop:

My steering is a bit lazy with initial input, if this is fixed in later models that would be super!
I don't really know the details but I believe it involved some shims to alter the steering geometry slightly. Mine was done back in 2014 by the factory. It just says "3.5 steering revision" for which they charged 2 hours and replaced the steering rack boots.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:14 pm

hamtt wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:55 pm If you drive an upgraded 3 on its own you won't be able to tell any difference.

Drive a 3.5 and an upgraded 3 on the road and you won't be able to tell any difference.

On the track its a different story. An experienced track driver will be able to tell the difference.

An 'untouched' 3 drives completely differently to a 3.5.

The 3.5r handles and drives closer to the 3.5 then a 3.5 does to 3.

This all ofcourse all things being equal in terms of suspension/setup/tyres and all cars drive 'as new'.

A dog of a 3.5r or incorrectly setup 3.5r will drive worse than a well maintained 3.
How does this compare to a 4? given I only have had a 4.

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:22 pm

cvjoint wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:44 pm My steering is a bit lazy with initial input, if this is fixed in later models that would be super!
When you say lazy, what do you mean?

cvjoint

Post by cvjoint » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:02 pm

Fastlane wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:07 pm
cvjoint wrote:
Fastlane wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:55 am 3.5 steering upgrade
Any more info on this steering update? :pop: :pop: :pop:

My steering is a bit lazy with initial input, if this is fixed in later models that would be super!
I don't really know the details but I believe it involved some shims to alter the steering geometry slightly. Mine was done back in 2014 by the factory. It just says "3.5 steering revision" for which they charged 2 hours and replaced the steering rack boots.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk
That is going on my to do list. Thanks!

simonrhart wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:22 pm
cvjoint wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:44 pm My steering is a bit lazy with initial input, if this is fixed in later models that would be super!
When you say lazy, what do you mean?
The first few degrees I put into the steering rack seems to have no effect on the tires. I suppose play would be a better word. It's the quick steering rack too.

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:57 pm

simonrhart wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:14 pm
hamtt wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:55 pm If you drive an upgraded 3 on its own you won't be able to tell any difference.

Drive a 3.5 and an upgraded 3 on the road and you won't be able to tell any difference.

On the track its a different story. An experienced track driver will be able to tell the difference.

An 'untouched' 3 drives completely differently to a 3.5.

The 3.5r handles and drives closer to the 3.5 then a 3.5 does to 3.

This all ofcourse all things being equal in terms of suspension/setup/tyres and all cars drive 'as new'.

A dog of a 3.5r or incorrectly setup 3.5r will drive worse than a well maintained 3.
How does this compare to a 4? given I only have had a 4.
The 3.5/3.5r are completely different to drive than the 4. They're more 'raw' and IMO what the atom was originally about.

The 4, especially with the sequential, is almost too easy to drive. Half the fun with the older cars was you were living on the edge of your wits on the track and you just knew you were gonna get punished for getting something wrong so made you more alert. Also the weight transfer etc could be felt more in the older cars. I missed having the 3.5 at the track last time I went but at the same time enjoyed the 4.

I've had three 4's now. The first one was fairly basic and didn't take it on the track, the second one was high spec but I just couldn't get any grip on the track and really didn't enjoy it much on the track, was just more frustrating than anything else. I really really missed the 3.5 on that track day. The third one is much better even though it has practically the same setup, only difference being carbon wheels on the new one, and wings. But I've had the wings off and it still had a lot more grip than the first. Really don't know why. Oh, and sequential, but that wouldn't affect the grip.
My website: Skunkwurx - Create an account and PM me for forum member pricing
Ariel Atom Parts and UpgradesRace Technology Dash2

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:24 pm

What setup do you have for the track?

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:17 pm

An older post discussing the Steering Rack Alignment Upgrade :-

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15766

and Henry from the factory trying to explain it and how it can't really be a DIY job ! :-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16631&start=36
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:32 pm

[mention]John Scherrer[/mention] - you Sir are a legend.

This forum is a gold mine of information based on years of firsthand ownership knowledge, all laid bare for anyone who wants to use the search function.

The search function is especially useful when threads are focused on the topic in hand and not side tracked by seemingly random left turns.

Glad to have you on board as a forum moderator Sir!

cvjoint

Post by cvjoint » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:47 pm

John Scherrer wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:17 pm An older post discussing the Steering Rack Alignment Upgrade :-

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15766

and Henry from the factory trying to explain it and how it can't really be a DIY job ! :-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16631&start=36
Very useful. I did some searching all the way through 2013 but didn't find these two threads, the first one I cannot access due to privileges. The second one is pointing to the same shimming job I found in other posts, sounds like a fine-tuning job more than a different rack but maybe the improvement are that good.

Sorry to derail either way. Back on track.

Ja5on

Post by Ja5on » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:27 am

Once I'm back from offshore and had time to finish the decorating I started then I'll be on the hunt.

Fingers crossed mr Covid gets lost aswell