Sport brake package

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
GordonOttewell

Sport brake package

Post by GordonOttewell » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:29 pm

Does any body spec this what is the difference with the standard ones ,or best too just spec ap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Sport brake package

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:43 pm

I think the popular compromise option is to go for the AP option on the fronts and sport brake option on the rears although for mostly road use, the standard brakes will stop the car very well but you may not get as good a 'feel' nor the ability to modulate the stopping power so well.

On the older models, the sport brake option was a ventilated front disc and a solid rear disc with uprated pads over the standard brake option.

The factory web site for the '4' shows a photo with a ventilated, drilled and grooved disc for the sport brake option but it's not clear if that's just for the fronts or the rears too.

Best to ask the factory for advice and guidance.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

GordonOttewell

Post by GordonOttewell » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:56 am

Yes noticed the vented front disc and drilled looked good ,just wondered why not many people seem too have them ,I’ll have a word with factory near time cheers for your help very helpful

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:00 am

If you are going on track AP racing brakes all the way, I'd say. If you are only going to use it on the road probably sport brakes are fine. AP racing brakes are exceptional - they are as impressive as the speed. I went from 150mph down the Bentley straight to around 70mph for Brundle in 4th - but I was taking that corner too slowly. Nevertheless, I scrubbed that speed in about 2 seconds with a hard push of the brakes, astonishing performance.

Corky

Post by Corky » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:49 pm

You can’t mix the AP front and sport rear now. AP package comes with handbrake as well as std, but I am sure the price has gone up.
Atom 4
Porsche 992 GTS

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:38 pm

I have the before and after price lists, no change to the total.
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:03 pm

Having driven all flavours (standard brakes, sport front-only and sport F&R), I'd always go for sport all round. The stopping/slowing power is phenomenal. When you've just made a fast overtake on the road and need to scrub off speed fast, you'll be glad you have them.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:54 pm

What are the standard brakes like? I always got confused why some would spec alcon fronts and sports rear when more braking power is required on the back where the weight is. I have found and even with the brake bias in the middle much more brake dust on the rear than the front. If I were a betting man, I would bet the rear pads will wear out sooner.

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:06 pm

I'd say the standard brakes are adequate on the road, although I've not tried a 4 on standard brakes; just the previous models. Given how we drive on some of our trips, I love the confidence the sports give you.

On the track, standard brakes make your whites browner.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:19 pm

The majority of the braking effort is on the fronts despite the rear engined configuration.

Do some googling on the subject - it's not straight forward with many factors affecting the performance - tyre grip, road surface friction etc

This link is a relevant read :-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16916&p=290159&hili ... ar#p290159

Note the bit about bike racers lifting the rear wheel on heavy braking ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:58 pm

I knew this would get a debate! Speak to Ariel they say they replace the rear pads before the fronts. I have noticed much more brake dust on the rear than the front as well esp on track.

AMH 142

Post by AMH 142 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:59 pm

Hi Simon. Yes, more dust on the rears and yet I used to reach almost 60% front/40% rear when everything was warm and dry, and nearer 50/50 when really wet.
This was with the same pads/callipers/discs all round with the only variables being tyre and their pressures.
I have my calcs somewhere, with each 1/4 turn on the remote being worth almost .5% shift.(anyone else done the maths?)
As John says the physics of it are pretty complicated - I just know that if you want to brake hard on a bike, and not go over the front, then get your stomach on the seat.
Great dark night topic

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:18 am

Surely you would spec the ap’s because they look better??