Annual services

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
autobackup

Re: Annual services

Post by autobackup » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:40 pm

Others have investigated setting up a collection/delivery service using their own covered trailer but discovered that the cost of the insurance to cover the value of someone else's Ariel (various types) is prohibitively expensive.

That said Ariel themselves offer a collection/delivery service using their own 'in house' covered trailer!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

GordonOttewell

Post by GordonOttewell » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:50 pm

I think Ariel mentioned to me it would be around £400 for collection in enclosed trailer where I live ,just makes it a expensive service then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:53 pm

Paying anyone to transport your car is very expensive - and eventually makes more sense to just buy a trailer. I use http://sterlingmotortransport.co.uk. The cost to me is approx £2.60 per mile, this tends to be the 'going rate'. So all you need is a few trips and you could of at least bought an open trailer with the money. I always make sure my insurer is aware of the car being transported by whom and where it will be so if anything bad happens it's covered under my insurance.

GordonOttewell

Post by GordonOttewell » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:01 pm

Cheers I’ll remember that

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:47 pm

I do know that Ariel try to coordinate pick ups and drop offs where possible to both avoid dead mileage and pass cost savings on to owners.

There was talk only today about trialing a "where's the trailer" thread on here. The idea being that Ariel could post things like: car drop off in Cambridge area 21st July, available return trip to Crewkerne.

Would something like this from Ariel be of interest / use to owners???

GordonOttewell

Post by GordonOttewell » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:53 pm

Yes it would be Handy if in right area at time ,how many cars does Ariel carry at one time is it just the one

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:56 pm

That is a great idea Karl.

I know someone based in the midlands who charges £1 a mile, he used to take my Elise up to HPE is Bromsgrove for service.
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:11 pm

GordonOttewell wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:53 pm Yes it would be Handy if in right area at time ,how many cars does Ariel carry at one time is it just the one
Don't quote me, but I think their fleet is 2 X covered single car transporters.

Henry said today that they are on the road constantly, covering the whole country.

With a bit of coordination (and flexibility), there is scope to get significant discounts on transporter rates by Ariel.

This is also very useful over the Autumn / Winter months IMO because - as you can probably imagine - in the Spring, 300 people (made up number) want their car servicing and get miffled (made up word) that there is very limited flexibility and longer wait times.

Something to think about...

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:22 pm

When I asked Ariel to pick my car up they quoted me a silly sum shall we say the sort of money that would buy my carbon lights. But I understand the costs are high to do this, payment for the person doing the driving, fuel, insurance and time.

Another option is, and I am not entirely sure this would work, but what about having a club trailer like we have a club cat for MOT time. The person that wants it needs to fetch it from the last person with their tow car.

Personally I need a trailer not just for going back to Crewkerne but for track days further a field like Angelsey, Combe etc. But would the above work? Open bed trailer is around £2400 divided across all members - I am happy to chip in.

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:28 pm

Will you come and pick it up from Glasgow? Lol

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:15 am

Simon

Where on earth can you find a suitable (extra wide) open trailer for £2400?

Anything at that price would be second hand and probably very well used?

For a new good quality bespoke extra wide dual axle open trailer the budget would need to be much nearer to £5000 - alternatively for a suitable wide closed trailer - maybe nearer £8000+ !

Given the likely annual utilisation/usage of a communal members trailer a dual axle trailer would be essential as a single axle trailer would simply not be robust enough to cope.
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Rob Evans

Post by Rob Evans » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:09 am

Gordon,

I also live bang on 200 miles away from the factory.
I treat the annual service as a mini break. Drive down, drop the car off, stay a night or 2 night in a local hotel, food, wine, etc.
Very civilised.
No worries about entrusting the car with a third party and most likely cheaper than the transport costs.

Cheers,
Rob.
From Atom 2 245 to Atom 4 350, via Atom 3 300 and Atom 3.5 310

GordonOttewell

Post by GordonOttewell » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:18 am

Hi rob don’t mind the ride down it’s just if it’s heavy rain all day when your booked in my luck it will be,once you have booked a service in if it’s looking like rain that week would you be able too change the week ,or are they too busy too change dates at short notice,Where are you at

GordonOttewell

Post by GordonOttewell » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:37 am

Rob
Could do with hiring an enclosed trailer self drive if anybody’s does that near me

Yogiatom

Post by Yogiatom » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:52 am

Brought this brand new for 2400 pounds last november.
tr.jpg
tr.jpg (51.09 KiB) Viewed 343 times
marc.jpg
marc.jpg (606.72 KiB) Viewed 343 times