Noob Atom maintenance question

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Anon

Noob Atom maintenance question

Post by Anon » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:37 pm

I have searched back into the forum about checking and changing oil and the type of oil needed - I plan to change my oil quite regulary due to heavy track use - at least when I can actually book them. I feel like an idiot asking this, but has anyone else struggled to see where the oil level is when removing the dip stick? Also same question for the max level of the coolant - there doesn't seem to be a max line - at least from what I could see.
20200901_194446.jpg
20200901_194446.jpg (3.17 MiB) Viewed 867 times
oil.jpg
oil.jpg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 867 times

autobackup

Re: Noob Atom maintenance question

Post by autobackup » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:34 am

For the 2.x / 3.x series of Atom's the factory uses ,:

Castrol Magnatec 10W/40 Fully Synthetic

I personally, due to the high summer temperatures in Cyprus, use :

RedLine High Pro 15W/50 Fully Synthetic Racing Oil

But I think that most high quality fully synthetic oils are probably acceptable.

However I don't know what oils are recommended for (or used) in either the Atom 4 or the Nomads.

The dipstick in my K20Z4 engine is definitely fiddly to insert and needs aligning precisely to fully slot home properly.

In regard to the coolant fluid level I usually ensure that the header tank looks to be circa 50% full
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:00 am

Its a different oil for the Atom 4. NOT the same as the older cars. 0w/20 Fully Synthetic. They recommend Motul 300V High RPM.

Dipsticks are always good fun IMO. When the oil is new and clear it can be hard to see the level.

But when its been used and picked up some colour the darker oil is easier to see. The key is to let the oil settle before dipping after running the engine.

The levels are marked on the stick. I agree it can be frustrating though especially when the car has been running and the oil is new and clean.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:37 pm

I will order some Motul oil as per the manual. Problem is it's really hard to see because the dipstick is a yellow marker - against light yellow oil. I know it will get darker over time but I will likely change it before it goes black.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:54 pm

I sold my ‘3’ with 10k miles (mostly road), 7 years old with annual factory oil changes and the oil was always a clear colour, never saw it go black.

Good old Honda ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

reg

Post by reg » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:30 pm

How much oil are the 4’s using out of interest, guessing as they rev much lower nothing like the K20?

Always kept it to 1500 miles or so. Always changed after winter layup and at least once in between factory services. Cheap insurance tbh at £70 or so?

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:48 pm

My 4 hasn't used a drop in 1 year and 2500 miles (inc 3 track days).

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:51 pm

Peter255 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:48 pm My 4 hasn't used a drop in 1 year and 2500 miles (inc 3 track days).
Are you able to see the level? maybe I should go to spec savers

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:09 pm

It's the bit that's wet Simon :roflp:

Or maybe you don't have any oil in there at all :o

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:25 pm

I have what they call a dry sump - so no need for oil correct?

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:35 pm

Exactly. Or maybe it's like the fuel gauge - you think it's empty but there's actually 107 litres in there; somewhere.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:49 am

simonrhart wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:51 pm
Are you able to see the level? maybe I should go to spec savers
I can see there is oil all across the dipstick at the max level. Thats fine for me. The oil has a little colour after a year.

I am not worried even if i miss-read it by a few mm. Its near max if not max level. Or in other words its a long way from the min level. No issue. :tu:

Does anyone know if the road going FK8s use any oil? Even if they do i think our mildly tuned cars won't due to the lower mileage.

Monza

Post by Monza » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:18 pm

To see the oil level, clean your dipstick, put it carefully in the engine , put it out and approach a cleaning paper from the top , going down along the dipstick, you'll clearly see the oil on the paper when touching the oil level. Will work even with water to 😉

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:20 pm

Oil aside, fair point on the coolant level question.

The manual (my Nomad manual) says don't let the tank run dry otherwise 'Crewkerne we have a problem'.

I agree that not knowing what a normal level is when the car is cooled down is tricky. No discernable indications on the reservoir from what I have seen.

At least the wet stuff is pink though. Probably don't want that on your dipstick, although it would save a trip to Specsavers.