Aero screen or full windscreen not sure which to have

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Anon

Re: Areo screen or full windscreen not sure which to have

Post by Anon » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:22 pm

Do you need a windscreen in a Nomad? Ever since I was made aware of the UTV Can Am Maverick X3 on facebook, I have been besotted with it haha! and that doesn't have a windscreen.
image.png
image.png (268.16 KiB) Viewed 400 times

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:26 pm

simonrhart wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:22 pm Do you need a windscreen in a Nomad?
You do if you have windscreen wipers :tu:

GordonOttewell

Post by GordonOttewell » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:33 pm

Not sure what to do about the screen I’ve got a few years too decide only just ordered Atom 4 a few months ago ,carnt stop thinking about it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GordonOttewell

Post by GordonOttewell » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:53 pm

What about traction control on atom 4 spec it or not think I will be

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:03 pm

Gordon, welcome to the world where many of us search the forums, ask loads of question and try and take our minds off the endless wait!

I have put I’m my final spec and the wait definitely gets harder now as I’m 10/16 weeks away roughly!

I personally didn’t want the traction control as I wanted the raw car but I eventually decided I would get it. It’s a bloody expensive option to retrofit, if I don’t want it I can always turn it off and I do like the idea of having it in the rain. Many here will tell you it goes against the spirit of the atom but I can’t afford to write mine off so I went for the option.

I believe over 80/90% don’t have the Windscreen, me personally; I think it’s ugly and expensive and takes away the feel of the car but go with what you want.

This is exactly why Ariel’s options are awesome, they are so wide ranging and suit many different peoples needs, if you are like me you will end changing your mind many time’s!

If you want to chat through anything feel free to pm or call me.

Mark

GordonOttewell

Post by GordonOttewell » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:19 pm

Cheers mark think I’ll be having traction too ,windscreen god nos ,will be my 1st atom got m5 f10 at min will be big difference

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:23 pm

simonrhart wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:22 pm Do you need a windscreen in a Nomad? Ever since I was made aware of the UTV Can Am Maverick X3 on facebook, I have been besotted with it haha! and that doesn't have a windscreen.

image.png
Define NEED? :) In my case I do need, with wipers and a heated screen.

The Can-Ams and Polarises are a not quiet the same are they Simon?. Let us know how you get on with one and yes after Art mentioned them, I've looked at the cost of them - half price of a Nomad at £30k for a reasonable power.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:47 pm

Don’t forget guys, you can have both full windscreen and aero screen. The changeover takes about 20 minutes.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:42 pm

The talk about the windscreen partially obstructing the air intake intrigued me so this evening I strapped a bit of plywood to the front towing eye of my Atom and stuck a pencil orange smoke flare (left over from my last boat) into a wodge of bluetac that I stuck to it - fired it off and went for a drive.

At speeds over 30mph about 50% of the smoke flowed smoothly up the bonnet and and windscreen then was sucked down by the low pressure area behind the windscreen and entered the air intake about 1/3 up from the bottom of the intake - at 50mph almost all the smoke was sucked into the intake!

It was only a very brief, less than 2 minute, test before I stopped as I wasn't too sure how the engine would like it if I drove any longer but it was quite enlightening to see how the smoke flowed up and over the windscreen into the intake!
Last edited by autobackup on Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:46 pm

autobackup wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:42 pm The talk about the windscreen partially obstructing the air intake intrigued me so this evening I strapped a bit of plywood to the front towing eye of my Atom and stuck a pencil orange smoke flare (left over from my last boat) into a wodge of bluetac that I stuck to it - fired it off and went for a drive.

At speeds over 30mph about 50% of the smoke flowed smoothly up the bonnet and and windscreen then was sucked down by the low pressure area behind the windscreen and entered the air intake about 1/3 up from the bottom of the intake - at 50mph almost all the smoke was sucked into the intake!

It was only a very brief, less than 2 minute, test before I stopped as I wasn't top sure how the engine would like it if I drove any longer but it was quite enlightening to see how the air flowed up and over the windscreen into the intake!
Brilliant! Which one were you? Jeremy, Richard or James?

image.png
image.png (412.3 KiB) Viewed 374 times
:laugh:

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:51 pm

All smoke no fire!! :roflp:
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:00 pm

Jerry wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:23 pm
simonrhart wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:22 pm Do you need a windscreen in a Nomad? Ever since I was made aware of the UTV Can Am Maverick X3 on facebook, I have been besotted with it haha! and that doesn't have a windscreen.

image.png
Define NEED? :) In my case I do need, with wipers and a heated screen.

The Can-Ams and Polarises are a not quiet the same are they Simon?. Let us know how you get on with one and yes after Art mentioned them, I've looked at the cost of them - half price of a Nomad at £30k for a reasonable power.
You are right they are not the same, you will probably get dirtier in the Cam Am with no screen. You can get them for £21k for the 172bhp version so even cheaper that your quoted £30k - quite amazing really. I have a friend who drove one in Dubai across the sand dunes and rates it highly and he is a Jeep fan boy.

I don't know if I will get one yet, it depends if I can actually drive it anywhere, so far we seem to lack off road tracks or big rally type trails. The idea is to have a winter fun car while the Atom is all tucked up inside the garage waiting for the tracks in the spring.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:08 pm

simonrhart wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:00 pm I don't know if I will get one yet, it depends if I can actually drive it anywhere, so far we seem to lack off road tracks or big rally type trails. The idea is to have a winter fun car while the Atom is all tucked up inside the garage waiting for the tracks in the spring.
You've just described a Nomad. Without the need for a garage queen...

:fence:

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:12 pm

I would love a Nomad, it's just the price that is the sticking point so I am not Ariels customer in this segment. At £21k you can just hose it down with the jet wash and not worry about it and no need for ppf etc.