LED bulb replacement for 2017 3S

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Deane

LED bulb replacement for 2017 3S

Post by Deane » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:25 pm

I only tried the headlights once in the daytime but they looked really weak, like they were old style incandescent bulbs. I would like to update the bulbs to high power LEDs. Has anyone done this? Any good info on how to open them up?
Thanks.

Karl V

Re: LED bulb replacement for 2017 3S

Post by Karl V » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:44 pm

Hi [mention]Deane[/mention]

You are right, the 'normal' bulbs are a bit weak, but in my experience, they are also an afterthought to get the car through an IVA.

I stumbled across this challenge a little while ago - https://www.ariel.club/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=17222

My experience was to focus (pardon the pun) on alignment. Personally, I've not seen the need to swap bulbs - and I drive the Nomad most days regardless of lighting conditions. With a bit of tweaking, I can almost see where I am going in the dark.

I know others have replaced the whole light fixture. I did look into replacing bulbs with LED options, but I couldn't work out those tricky dual function bulbs that are side lights / dipped beam. When I say 'work out' - I mainly mean work out how to get the bulb out without dismantling most of the car.

I know this probably doesn't help you, but I'm hitting 'Submit' anyway. You are not alone...

Deane

Post by Deane » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:39 pm

Thanks Karl. Does anyone know what the factory bulbs look like? Is there a number on them. I could probably build an LED replacement if I knew what the socket looks like.

samgo

Post by samgo » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:26 am

I appreciate this is an old post but I don't want to re-post the same question. After 4 years owning the nomad I drove it in the dark and the lights are rubbish. I will try to improve the alignment but I know the lights are far weaker than my other cars. Has anyone actually upgraded to LED?

StephenCM

Post by StephenCM » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:22 am

I put a pair of LED light bars in place of the ( frankly rubbish) roof lights.
The light bars are so bright the I did have occasional problems with being dazzled by reflective signposts.Never got round to sorting out the dipoed beam though!