PRG E Tech 77 trailer and GT covers

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Anon

PRG E Tech 77 trailer and GT covers

Post by Anon » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:44 pm

Hi all,

I searched the whole forum for posts on trailers and many members recommend the PRG or the Brian James. Other friends have recommended the Brian James race shuttle but they are very expensive. To fit the Atom they are about £12k.

So I looked at the cost of a PRG E tech 77 trailer and it comes to around £4k inc VAT and this includes a winch a trailer that is 1.95metres wide so it will fit my other car.

But I really wanted a covered trailer and came across these guys: http://www.gtcovers.co.uk/race-tech-77- ... ilers.html
9103266_orig.jpg
9103266_orig.jpg (331.24 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
Has anyone come across these guys before, or have any feedback on this setup? They manufacture a PVC cover and sell both the trailer and cover for about £6k inc VAT. This trailer includes a manual winch, 2.5m pull out ramps, decking. So it's about £1500 or so for the cover. I didn't think it was that bad a price. It sits a little tall though, not sure if they could make them not so high.

robfitz

Re: PRG E Tech 77 trailer and GT covers

Post by robfitz » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:51 pm

The Brian James I was looking at worked out £8400 inc VAT for a comparable spec. The RS2 looks a bit more solid but 2 and half grand is a decent saving.

https://www.brianjames.co.uk/trailer-ra ... _PartnerId

Specs page doesn’t load for me on the PRG - any idea what it weighs? Edit - it is on the press release, 670kg which makes it viable for use with lighter tow cars. The RS2 is around 800kg.
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:55 pm

Simon I have a Brian James C2 126-1221. Perfect for the Atom. Useable bed area 2mx3,7m. Cheaper than PRG. Ok its not closed, but one of the very few quality trailers wide enough to take an Atom, plus fit in my garage

Anon

Post by Anon » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:31 pm

robfitz wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:51 pm The Brian James I was looking at worked out £8400 inc VAT for a comparable spec. The RS2 looks a bit more solid but 2 and half grand is a decent saving.

https://www.brianjames.co.uk/trailer-ra ... _PartnerId

Specs page doesn’t load for me on the PRG - any idea what it weighs? Edit - it is on the press release, 670kg which makes it viable for use with lighter tow cars. The RS2 is around 800kg.
I would prefer a race shuttle - the only problem with the PRG enclosed add on is it's massive - it's really tall and for the type of cars I plan to tow it doesn't need to be this tall. The Race Shuttle is much lower. Question is, is it worth spending another £2.5k on the Brian James...

Anon

Post by Anon » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:37 pm

GraemeW wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:55 pm Simon I have a Brian James C2 126-1221. Perfect for the Atom. Useable bed area 2mx3,7m. Cheaper than PRG. Ok its not closed, but one of the very few quality trailers wide enough to take an Atom, plus fit in my garage
Interesting, I did not consider this trailer it looks very cheap too. How do you find a single axle? is it stable enough?

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:38 pm

With the options I’ve got about £3K. I’ve only towed that trailer so can’t compare but it’s super stable at the legal limit of 60. I have gone upto 75 or so to overtake and it’s fine. Atom is reversed on. If the engine was at the back I think it would be less stable

wasp

Post by wasp » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:33 am

I have had a couple of gt trailer covers on previous Brian James trailers and they work very well. The only problem is that they really do catch the wind compared to an open trailer or a molded fibreglass one. This can make the trailer move around a lot and over time also frays the bungee straps that hold the cover in place. naturally they are not quite as secure as a hard cover but in fairness I never had any issues.
In preference I'd go for one of the newer Eco Trailers if you find the enclosed Brian James ones a bit too much.

Cheers,
Stu

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:51 am

I was in the same situation and really didn't want to spend nearly 10k on a PRG or Brian James trailer. In the end I ordered a Beavertail from PRG which seemed the best solution. I know it is not enclosed but the weight penalty of the enclosed trailer meant that I would have to get a bigger car to tow it. The trailer and Atom is 1300kg and the trailer is 2mtrs x 4mtrs. Trailer should arrive in 6 weeks time

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:49 am

Is the manufacturer "Pongratz" perhaps known in the UK?
Although not enclosed ones the LAT 350 G-K and the LAT 400 T-K might be worth a look.

I have the 350 which is very light (starts below 400kg) and priced at 2100€ as basis.

As low budget solution I bought a used one, added a welded framework and bought a cover.
Works very well and only weighs about 490kg incl. spare wheel and 6 straps to tie the Atom. :)

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:02 pm

Pongratz is not available over here or known, at least to my knowledge.

I swear spec'ing a trailer is harder than spec'ing the actual car!!

[mention]wasp[/mention]
I did look at the Eco Trailers, they look nice but there seems to be mixed feedback on them at least when I read about peoples feedback with regards to quality on ph a while ago. Thanks Stu for your valuable info on GT covers. They seem a little tall, perhaps this is why it causes wind issues?

[mention]markwetherall[/mention] I know, it's a hard thing to swallow at those prices (and especially when you are cheap like me!) Sounds like you will have a nice trailer, I have not read anything bad about those PRG trailers.

[mention]GraemeW[/mention] Don't suppose you have a picture of your Atom on the trailer handy do you? 3.7m long is just long enough and that is what I like actually. Many of trailers are around 4.5m long in order to get the 2m width that we need. Almost like trousers, to get the waist I need I have to go for a really long leg :roflp:

MartinsAtom

Post by MartinsAtom » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:41 pm

I've literally just picked up my trailer yesterday. Brian James Car Hauler with 4x2 bed. Open trailer, twin axle with tyre rack and flooring + high quality winch and tilt bed hydraulics and fuel carrier £ 4500 all in

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:59 pm

MartinsAtom wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:41 pm I've literally just picked up my trailer yesterday. Brian James Car Hauler with 4x2 bed. Open trailer, twin axle with tyre rack and flooring + high quality winch and tilt bed hydraulics and fuel carrier £ 4500 all in
Not bad at all, sounds very nice. Do you need the tilt bed? Would the 2.5 metre ramp not work as well?

What is the turn around time for delivery?

MartinsAtom

Post by MartinsAtom » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:51 am

Probably get away without tilt as it comes with ramps too!! That would save about £500. Trident trailers at Maidstone. Trailer available in stock but just had to wait a week for tyre rack.
If I could work out how to post a pic on here I would!!

Anon

Post by Anon » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:24 am

[mention]MartinsAtom[/mention]
If you press the "Post Reply" button at the button of the post, then scroll down to "Attachments" tab, you can click the "Add files" button to upload files.

I think [mention]Karl V[/mention] did a video recently on how to do this if I remember correctly...

MartinsAtom

Post by MartinsAtom » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:33 am

20200818_112856.jpg
20200818_112856.jpg (3.92 MiB) Viewed 862 times
20200818_112829.jpg
20200818_112829.jpg (4.28 MiB) Viewed 862 times