350bhp power option, what do you get?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Hedge

Re: 350bhp power option, what do you get?

Post by Hedge » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:25 am

I’ve been in a 350 bhp car.

Cheers,
Hedge

Italianpaul

Post by Italianpaul » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:40 am

but because I am getting the sequential gearbox and just want it all to work in harmony I went back to Ariel for it.

Please let me know how you get on with the Sequential as it is on my list of possibilities if I can get the money from somewhere, legally!!

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:15 pm

I'm out for a ride in Ariel's sequential demo next Saturday. Already gotta sell some of my organs on the black market to fund this thing :roflp:

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:14 pm

Italianpaul wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:40 am but because I am getting the sequential gearbox and just want it all to work in harmony I went back to Ariel for it.

Please let me know how you get on with the Sequential as it is on my list of possibilities if I can get the money from somewhere, legally!!
Ok, so I went out in the sequential car earlier in the week and I am blown away by it. I planned to get a video but Steve said he'd rather not for obvious reasons. So sadly the only video I have is showing the paddles and the actual gear kit and sump in the engine bay. I will upload it today at some point.

But...onto the gearbox. At low speeds you are better off using the clutch but at high speeds it's pretty smooth, at least as smooth as most sequential gearboxes. I still think Radical's are smoother however but this may be because most of those cars are not turbo charged and Atom 4 has loads more torque, who knows. You can't hear the straight cut gears at speed over the intake, turbo spool and exhaust. The demo car has stock exhaust with 350bhp power upgrade and I can honestly say this gearbox makes the car so much faster because the turbo only briefly stops during gear change so you can stay on it, so because of this it feels very quick indeed.

I just loved the drama of it, the ka-clunk, ka-clunk noises when going from one gear to the next, the pump noise, you can very clearly hear the whistle/wine noise of the gears at slow speeds. The pump is pretty loud and I just love this drama. Changing down is epic, you get a nice little throttle blip on each down shift.

Neutral button is placed on the centre console right in front of the gear lever. In fact every Atom 4 has the sensor, if you look at your car carefully you will see the sensor where the button would go. I would prefer this button on the steering wheel however. I think it can be done. Unlike a Radical it's REV, Neutral, 1st, 2nd etc.

The removable steering wheel can accommodate the paddles with no wires which is really slick - this is very similar to the 3.5R sadev in that there are pins inside the end of the steering boss and these mate with pins inside the top of the steering column. On the 3.5R Ariel mount buttons either side of the steering wheel on the dash in case the pins fail to line up or happen to fail to work preventing you from changing gear - like a fail safe mechanism. I don't think anyone has ever had a problem with this, but this is there in case you have issues. Paddles are finished in carbon fibre, drilled for lightness.

But I love it!! I am now waiting for a retro fit price as Ariel have never done this before - only at Build. The box needs to go back to Quaife who fit the gear kit to the existing gear case and then Ariel fit once it comes back to your car and wire up the actuator, paddles etc.

ProShift is also an option instead of pneumatically air based changer. I still don't quite understand the difference. Would love to experience this before making my decision. But I was very impressed with this. I think it's still usable on the road, you just use the clutch at low speeds. But on track this will be epic. The downside is, if you get one will will not stop smiling and not stop driving it!

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:19 pm

That is what, 11 or 12k if done at build time?

What is the maintenance requirement on it, do they need regular rebuilds?

Can’t afford it, just interested :-)
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:27 pm

@simonrhart is proshift an option through Ariel? Very curious about price differences and recommendations from Ariel

Herohonda

Post by Herohonda » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:14 am

Thanks for the input guys. Im not sure why there isnt many mappers out there tuning the Atoms.

Many moons ago I had a Honda type R with the K20, Had a supercharger and then turboed. I would have thought the likes of TDI north or CPL racing who were big into their honda tuning would do something with the Atom.

Might be down to the ECU possibly? Most of us ran a Hondata ECU back then, probably all sorts out now.

I do like using my cars on trackdays, so the 350bhp which also requires/has decat might not meet the noise limits. Oulton park 105db static and 92db drive by.

Love the video by Simonhart. like few others have suggested go for stock power and if needed upgrade at service.

My only issue with a new build is the 2 year wait....hence why im looking at the second hand market too.

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:34 am

The map for the 4 was developed by TDI
My website: Skunkwurx - Create an account and PM me for forum member pricing
Ariel Atom Parts and UpgradesRace Technology Dash2

Herohonda

Post by Herohonda » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:38 am

Tge only way of me getting into one with a sequential would be a atom 3 or a 3.5. The Atom4 with a sequential would ve way out of budget for me unfortunately.

I struggle to understand how most of you had the patients to wait 2 years for a build, hats off!

Herohonda

Post by Herohonda » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:39 am

hamtt wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:34 am The map for the 4 was developed by TDI
Thats interesting. theyre not far from me, they also did all my turbo tuning on my k20 back then...

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:58 am

I doubt they'll supply you the map. The factory will have contracted them to not to supply to anyone else, as they do with all other custom products.

I hear they're working on a 400bhp map.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:26 am

hamtt wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:58 am I hear they're working on a 400bhp map.
Yes, I heard that too.

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:01 am

Start saving up 5k

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:23 am

hamtt wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:01 am Start saving up 5k
If you're lucky, I reckon this'll be the New 4R, (albeit I think it'll have a different name), so I expect it'll be priced higher and will bundle in other high-end goodies, to make it expensive to upgrade (if possible) from a normal 4.

Herohonda

Post by Herohonda » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:06 pm

Just seen TDI north do a turbo kit for the atom 2 and 3 for £9000, drive in and drive out. It can put out 400bhp, but the actual kit is capable of a lot more with other fueling supporting mods, not sure if id want any more than 400bhp tbh in such a light car.

Might be worth looking at a cheaper n/a atom 3 and going for this kit. If its bang for buck what your after.
Residual wise atom 4, or a 3.5 SC will always be worth more. However if its for keeps then the atom3 with a turbo kit can be a option.