Atom 4 - Just a no no no...

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Anon

Re: Atom 4 - Just a no no no...

Post by Anon » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:42 pm

I'm a slow skinny runt on track, you'll be faster than me for sure. You have had your Atom a while as well? I have only just got mine and it's still being run in.

I do get my AIM gps 08 module fitted hopefully next week for some proper lap timing data in the car - can't wait!

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:47 pm

Simon, what exactly does that do, just lap times? Who is fitting it for you?

I bought my Atom 18 months ago, only done 2 Track days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wasp

Post by wasp » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:39 am

So,
I bought the wings for my 4 as I fell in love with the looks (appreciating subjectivity) but I also wanted the aero benefit on track.

I have done so far 1 day without the wings (Combe) fitted and 2 days with them (Snetterton and Cadwell.)

I still have a lot to learn about the car but having run with a mate in a 3.5R on my second day I can definitively say that the drag feels significant. The stability and grip around faster corners is excellent but the trade off for acceleration and top speed feels pronounced.
On the first day at Snetterton I was just bedding in but the car felt like it was being held back down the two main straights (sort of like the 3.5 did above 120) and I was struggling to haul in cars that should have been easier to catch. It was capable of 100mph around Coram though (I'm not sure how that would compare without the aero as the grip on the A052's is epic.)

Without wings at Combe, the car felt like a beast, with them for the other days it felt like it could take a fair chunk more power >:D

I'm doing Bedford in a few weeks and if it's dry< I'm going to run with wings in the morning, then take them off at lunchtime to compare the feeling.

Cheers,
Stu

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:45 am

What was your lap times around Combe?

wasp

Post by wasp » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:06 am

Didn't record overall lap times this time but top speed was recorded at 144.6mph. Was running road tyres zz's.

I think with A052's and pushing it could easily have been 10mph more tbh. It was my first day with it and I was being super careful.

Felt faster than my 3.5 but without pushing too hard. Previously ran in the 1.13's in the old car.

Cheers,
Stu

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:08 am

That’s very quick indeed

Nice

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:49 am

CAG3D wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:47 pm Simon, what exactly does that do, just lap times? Who is fitting it for you?

I bought my Atom 18 months ago, only done 2 Track days.

In Atom 4, it has a AIM msxl dash but it's more than just a dash it's also a datalogger and there are a ton of sensors and data it captures as it connects to the ECU. One additional module you can add to it is the GPS08 module - doing this gives you your lap times, sector times, braking zones, lateral forces etc etc. If you are a data geek you will have a lot of fun with this. The GPS08 uses the tracks stored in the dash, these can be updated based on new track layouts but in mine there are hundreds of tracks also. Ariel pre-load them, but you are able to update, delete them.

Then you can use AIM's software called Race Studio 3 to download and analyse your laptimes to see where you were slow, faster. The AIM stock dash Ariel created has a screen that shows whether you were faster/slower than the previous lap - it's nice right there in the dash. You only see this when the GPS module is connected.

I have my own GPS08 module but it needs to connect to the EXT+ and EXT- pins of the dash using a CAN connection. I could not see this exposed in the wiring loom so as my car is going back this week for it's service, I will ask Ariel to help rather than me pull it apart.

Race Technology has something similar it's just an additional box for their DASH2 and less sophisticated. Called DL1: https://www.race-technology.com/wiki/in ... troduction

I am familiar with AIM because this is used in Radicals and Ultimas.

tuscanracer

Post by tuscanracer » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:25 pm

Proper wind tunnel tested and proven Aero, thank you Mr Drewell 👏
A9C397A9-EB2F-41FB-8D2A-492B1F49F45B.jpeg
A9C397A9-EB2F-41FB-8D2A-492B1F49F45B.jpeg (103.99 KiB) Viewed 460 times

Italianpaul

Post by Italianpaul » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:44 pm

wasp wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:39 am So,
I bought the wings for my 4 as I fell in love with the looks (appreciating subjectivity) but I also wanted the aero benefit on track.

I have done so far 1 day without the wings (Combe) fitted and 2 days with them (Snetterton and Cadwell.)

I still have a lot to learn about the car but having run with a mate in a 3.5R on my second day I can definitively say that the drag feels significant. The stability and grip around faster corners is excellent but the trade off for acceleration and top speed feels pronounced.
On the first day at Snetterton I was just bedding in but the car felt like it was being held back down the two main straights (sort of like the 3.5 did above 120) and I was struggling to haul in cars that should have been easier to catch. It was capable of 100mph around Coram though (I'm not sure how that would compare without the aero as the grip on the A052's is epic.)

Without wings at Combe, the car felt like a beast, with them for the other days it felt like it could take a fair chunk more power >:D

I'm doing Bedford in a few weeks and if it's dry< I'm going to run with wings in the morning, then take them off at lunchtime to compare the feeling.

Cheers,
Stu
Are you running with 320 or 350 with/without wings?

I am very interested as to how you got on at Cadwell with the Atom as its my local and hopefully will be doing a few days there in the new year once I collect my 4 due early next year.

I would have thought that Cadwell would really suit a 4 with wings due to the long sweeping turns.

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:16 am

Italianpaul wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:44 pm

I am very interested as to how you got on at Cadwell with the Atom as its my local and hopefully will be doing a few days there in the new year once I collect my 4 due early next year.

I would have thought that Cadwell would really suit a 4 with wings due to the long sweeping turns.
350 with wings.

Cadwell is awesome in an Atom, it really plays to its strengths.

The wings are definitely adding to the stability, I haven't pushed too far beyond mechanical grip yet but fast corners and in the rain (again) at Donnington the car felt incredibly planted.

I haven't had a consistent weather day yet to be able to try and really see what the aero feels like but fingers crossed I'll be at Spa for a couple of days later in the month which should really show how well it works.

I will say that the 320 car is still a very fast car, the 350 car in map 2 is probably the best all-rounder though. 350 in map 3 is proper hooligan mode. It may well not be quicker over a lap than map 2 but it's a lot more entertaining.

Cheers,
Stu

Italianpaul

Post by Italianpaul » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:44 am

wasp wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:16 am
Italianpaul wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:44 pm

350 with wings.

Cadwell is awesome in an Atom, it really plays to its strengths.

The wings are definitely adding to the stability, I haven't pushed too far beyond mechanical grip yet but fast corners and in the rain (again) at Donnington the car felt incredibly planted.

I haven't had a consistent weather day yet to be able to try and really see what the aero feels like but fingers crossed I'll be at Spa for a couple of days later in the month which should really show how well it works.

I will say that the 320 car is still a very fast car, the 350 car in map 2 is probably the best all-rounder though. 350 in map 3 is proper hooligan mode. It may well not be quicker over a lap than map 2 but it's a lot more entertaining.

Cheers,
Stu
Thanks for that Stu, I like the look of the wings( I know its a emotive subject) but I just wonder if my heart is ruling my head as the cost is quite substantial against any gain in performance.

I look forward to your review once you have been to Bedford with and without wings(weather permitting)

Thanks

Paul.