Polishing the exhaust

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Anon

Polishing the exhaust

Post by Anon » Sat May 30, 2020 10:12 pm

I polished the exhaust today, I had to do it the spot welds was giving my OCD a flare up.

It's not bad, I would prefer a more of a mirror finish. Another going over is in order I think. A lot, I mean a huge amount of black crap came out of it. I am pleased with the result, it's much improved over the stock exhaust.

After:
20200530_200852.jpg
20200530_200852.jpg (5.58 MiB) Viewed 904 times
Before:
20200528_163828.jpg
20200528_163828.jpg (4.25 MiB) Viewed 904 times

Caterham+7

Re: Polishing the exhaust

Post by Caterham+7 » Sun May 31, 2020 7:51 am

Looks good Simon.
Do you have the carbon tail tidy i wondered what it looked like in relation to non carbon
Cheers

Anon

Post by Anon » Sun May 31, 2020 11:17 am

I have the standard tail tidy, I did forget to spec the carbon version. You can see the carbon version looks better:

Carbon:
Carbon Tail tidy.JPG
Carbon Tail tidy.JPG (8.42 MiB) Viewed 864 times
Standard:
Standard tail .JPG
Standard tail .JPG (1.56 MiB) Viewed 864 times

Caterham+7

Post by Caterham+7 » Sun May 31, 2020 12:10 pm

Thanks does look good i must say.
Did you spec the polished exhaust if so how often do you have to polish to bring back as per your piccy.
I got a decent quote from A plan yesterday i have to either fit a garage door or tracker i am thinking garage door makes more sense.
I do like the style of yours is it a up and over i need it to fit in with period property .

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sun May 31, 2020 2:59 pm

Polishing the shiny stainless exhaust is like Sisyphus rolling his boulder up the hill.
I discovered that I needed to spend nearly as much time polishing my exhaust as I spent driving my Atom.
My solution was to have the whole exhaust (inside and out) zircotec'd in Volcano Black - so I never need to polish the bastard ever again!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Anon

Post by Anon » Sun May 31, 2020 3:26 pm

Caterham+7 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:10 pm Thanks does look good i must say.
Did you spec the polished exhaust if so how often do you have to polish to bring back as per your piccy.
I got a decent quote from A plan yesterday i have to either fit a garage door or tracker i am thinking garage door makes more sense.
I do like the style of yours is it a up and over i need it to fit in with period property .
I think it looks good as well, much better than stock. I did not spec the polished exhaust because I knew I could do it myself with relative ease and save £500 doing so (I am cheap!). Basically, if I can do the work myself I will. My recommendation is to use a dremel if you have one. Or even easier, spec it if you don't mind spending the money. I suspect it will need redoing every few months in order to maintain the nice shiny look the first time being the most labour intensive. I do like the look of the polished look much more than ceramic coating the exhaust - which is quite expensive as well (again, I am cheap).

Yes the garage door is a up and over, simple affair, fully lockable. I will get some security cameras for it as well.

Anon

Post by Anon » Sun May 31, 2020 3:28 pm

This is the kit I used, pretty good price and has loads of different polishing bits: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/18-piece-polishing-kit/

Caterham+7

Post by Caterham+7 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:07 am

Thanks guys appreciate the responses.
Gives me food for thought for sure
Cheers

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:44 am

I got fed up with polishing the exhaust. Now I don't have to touch it
exhaust2.jpg
exhaust2.jpg (843.46 KiB) Viewed 787 times

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:56 pm

I guess I am just a nerd, I enjoy tinkering. I was out there earlier this morning with my laptop loading tracks and playing around with the software. One thing though, got to put the car battery on charge because having the ignition on drains the battery pretty quickly. The day time running lights are on by default. I suspect this is a configuration setting in the dash.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:25 pm

I think DRLs are compulsory now aren't they? Or at least they are if the car has type approval.

I tend to have the car plugged into a trickle charger whenever it's in the garage. The CTEK charger does a grand job of keeping the quite small motorbike battery in optimal condition.

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:01 pm

Karl V wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:25 pm I think DRLs are compulsory now aren't they? Or at least they are if the car has type approval.

I tend to have the car plugged into a trickle charger whenever it's in the garage. The CTEK charger does a grand job of keeping the quite small motorbike battery in optimal condition.
I am not sure, perhaps but it's a great safety feature plus it looks cool. On the Atom 4 they are LEDs so they look really nice.

I have the CTEK charger from Ariel as well and there is a nice cable that extends under the battery box so you can plug it in without removing the bonet - nice touch. I assume number 6 on the AGM setting is fully charged?

Caterham+7

Post by Caterham+7 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:47 pm

Simon following on from earlier message i got a half decent quote for electric garage door which saves me putting tracker on car plus cheaper insurance with a plan
I note the length of the 4 is given as 11 ft 2 inches is that the absolute length i don't want to put a door on and find too tight
Cheers

Deane

Post by Deane » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:17 pm

Here in the US almost everyone has electric garage door openers with coded radio controls. They are only $130 or so.

curvedvision

Post by curvedvision » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:58 pm

Caterham+7 wrote:Simon following on from earlier message i got a half decent quote for electric garage door which saves me putting tracker on car plus cheaper insurance with a plan
Out of interest - what sort of costs are involved with having a tracker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk