Transporting the Atom

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Anon

Re: Transporting the Atom

Post by Anon » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:17 am

Thanks for the tips Stu. I think you have convinced me I need a covered trailer. Now how to do it at the least cost...

Funny you say about people touching your Atom. Parked in McDonalds couple days ago - like you do...and had the old CCTV on and caught some kids red handed while we were in the fine restaurant dining....I heard one kid say "wow, it even has a fire extinguisher....wow"
child.jpg
child.jpg (348.25 KiB) Viewed 174 times

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:22 am

At least they didn’t fire the extinguisher....
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

stupot

Post by stupot » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:24 am

Get used to that Simon. I've had kids try to climb in when I have been near it. The parents couldn't give a damn and shot me a look when I asked them politely to stop.

Not everyone is so disrespectful. I've had kids and adults in UK and Europe ask if they could take a picture with it. Usually makes their day when I say they could sit in it as well 😁
Atom 2 160 (05-11) / Atom 3 245 (12-19 ) / Nomad 300 (22-)

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:46 pm

Karl V wrote:Gents,

Sorry to poke my nose in here, but this topic does come up a lot. Do you think it would be worth the Club doing some form of 'guide to trailering' write up?
That is all...
Sounds like a good bit of content.

My tips are:
Tow with your Atom on backwards (very stable)
Remove rear wing to reduce drag - I have heard tell if wings become detached.
Don’t strap over the wheels, use the front wishbones and the rear of the engine bay. There is a picture that HenryJS posted that shows how the factory strap down a car. Going over the wheels can mess up your alignment apparently.
Don’t forget to put the handbrake on/leave in gear once loaded. Very embarrassing if you loosen the straps at your destination and the car starts rolling! Never happened to me....
A hydraulic tilt is very useful if you want to avoid your front wing from grinding on the tarmac.
Avoid reversing your trailer for as long as possible. Especially round corners. But then you get into it and see it as a challenge. And then you jackknife it in a tight spot and have to de-couple and man-handle it back into position. Hard to look cool when you are hot and flustered.
Get used to really poor fuel economy when towing at motorway speeds (60 is the limit according to Highways EnglandImage)
Do buy a rubber duck, but do not buy a CB radio.
10-4 good buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#BananAtom