Anyone know what wheels are on this Atom please?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.

thomas_fr

Re: Anyone know what wheels are on this Atom please?

Post by thomas_fr » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:03 pm

Tecnomagnesio (alloy, nothing to do with magnesium)

thomas_fr

Post by thomas_fr » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:06 pm

From what i remember, heavier than Team dynamics (which are lot heavier than Dymags ;) )

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:15 pm

Thanks. I am looking for another set of wheels. Dymags might be the ticket

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:56 pm

simonrhart wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:15 pm Thanks. I am looking for another set of wheels. Dymags might be the ticket
Dymags are the biz Simon. 8)

But be a bit careful with second hand wheels as they damage quite easily, and regular crack testing is essential. They are super light but also quite delicate in comparison to other alloys.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Anon

Post by Anon » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:41 pm

It seems to be hard to find wheels with the standard 4x95.25 PCD bolt pattern. Has anyone tried an adapter like this: https://www.classiccarperformance.com/p ... l-adapters this will then allow purchasing a 4x100 wheel for which there is a lot of choice.

thomas_fr

Post by thomas_fr » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:57 pm

On 4x95.25 PCD, you will find :

- Tecnomagnesio wheels on this advert
- Team dynamics 1.2
- Dymags (thin 5 spoke style)
- Rota Slipstream (large 5 spoke style)

And you could find :

- Lotus Elise S1 wheels, but with wrong ETs

thomas_fr

Post by thomas_fr » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:59 pm

simonrhart wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:41 pm It seems to be hard to find wheels with the standard 4x95.25 PCD bolt pattern. Has anyone tried an adapter like this: https://www.classiccarperformance.com/p ... l-adapters this will then allow purchasing a 4x100 wheel for which there is a lot of choice.
I wouldn't recommend spacers or adapter on a car that will see track / abuse.
You can change your uprights for Palatov ones with custom PCD (you can order the uprights with 4x100PCD)

tuscanracer

Post by tuscanracer » Tue May 05, 2020 8:13 am

simonrhart wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:15 pm Thanks. I am looking for another set of wheels. Dymags might be the ticket
I have a set of Mint Dymags for sale if you are interested!
4C31900D-4379-4AC5-B0C6-FF7A0C7E0F09.jpeg
4C31900D-4379-4AC5-B0C6-FF7A0C7E0F09.jpeg (3.79 MiB) Viewed 671 times
12FA81A6-5E6A-4B50-870D-BBE03336A7BE.jpeg
12FA81A6-5E6A-4B50-870D-BBE03336A7BE.jpeg (5.02 MiB) Viewed 671 times

Anon

Post by Anon » Tue May 05, 2020 9:57 am

This is for an Atom 4. What size are your Dymags?

phil4

Post by phil4 » Tue May 05, 2020 10:16 am

simonrhart wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:57 am This is for an Atom 4. What size are your Dymags?
16" rear, 15" front.

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue May 05, 2020 11:19 am

I still have the original set of Technomagnesio wheels that came with my Atom in 2006, as I've kept as much original equipment I can, like those wheels & the Aluminium Wings, so I could pass it all on if, and that's a big IF, I ever part with my Atom.
I also now have two sets of Team Dynamics wheels, after selling on a set of Dymags I'd bought from another Atom owner, as I found out how delicate they were, plus how ridiculous their design is for normal road use.
The Dymags protrude out proud of the Tyres, so can be prone to damage from the slightest touch, such as pulling up too close to a kerb.
That isn't what happened to mine though, as a Transit Van with double wheels at the back, squeezed through in a very narrow street, with their rear wheel touching mine after we both thought he'd got past safely.
It was too narrow to go after him, but he most probably didn't even know what he'd done and disappeared on his way.
After sending the damaged wheel back to Dymag and being told the cost of repair & refurbishement, I couldn't justify the outlay, so sold them off as "Buy three, Get one Free".
Unless you're only going to Track or Race your Atom, and are worried about the slightest savings in weight, I'd avoid Dymags like the plague, and go for something more practical and cost effective in the long run, such as the Team Dynamics I have.

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue May 05, 2020 11:25 am

I've just read through that advert, and what a strange phrase to use "This Atom is supplied with its factory original chassis still in its original colour."
As if it wouldn't have its factory original chassis, and it might look like the original chassis colour, but everything including the Technomagnesio wheels and parts that are never usually painted, have been resprayed, with the only exception being the seats, which are as originally supplied.

Anon

Post by Anon » Tue May 05, 2020 12:00 pm

I see what you mean about the Dymags wheels protruding the tyres, they do look cool but as you say this would be easily prone to damage. I like most petrol heads are really particular about kerb rash and the only option is a proper respray and fix when it does happen.

I do like the forged wheels Ariel sell, they look amazing but not cheap though. Ideally I was looking for something more affordable. My plan was to use the stock team dynamics wheels on the track with slicks. In hindsight I should have gone for the Avon ZZS tyre for road use instead of the ZZR that come with the car, but anyway the ZZR will be good for the time being until I find some wheels as I feel this will likely take some time to source. I did reach out to Dymags because they said in some of their PR they are making wheels for the Atom 4, but it turns out they do not.