Paddle shift-equipped Atom 3

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
speedmachine

Re: Paddle shift-equipped Atom 3

Post by speedmachine » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:07 am

I’m just so damn curious about pricing...

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:31 pm

Am I not right in staying it’s approx £10k for the Quaife Box, then their cost for the kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

levo 1

Post by levo 1 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:54 pm

The box is a Quaife QKJ8E costs about £5500 you can buy extras i.e. gearstick and a geartronics flat shifter but you have to dipp the clutch on down shifts so in my opinion i went for the pro shift with the auto down shift blipper so as not to buy a new ecu and all that goes with it i have the gear shifter and all the brackets to fit in to the tunnel if any one is interested and a load sensing gear knob so all you have to buy is the box and a geartronics module if you buy a g box you have to use the clutch cover part of the original box AND one very important thing that Quaife don't tel you is to put the 2 thrust washers on the spigot shaft from the old box. All the parts are available from Momentum Motorsports in Ireland speak to Tom that are very helpful. cheers Paul.

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:34 pm

speedmachine wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:53 am
CAG3D wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:54 pm £10k is a lot cheaper than the SADEV box......

Not sure if it would de-value the Atom though

I think the SADEV box will certainly add value to a 3.5R (good investment)

Who said 10k?
That 10k kit is for the 4 👍
I said £10k, you can get it here with the gear options and looks like you can specify how long each gear is which is pretty nice:
https://www.dream-automotive.com/produc ... 1400741134

The factory prices are similar so probably make sense to buy from them, after all they have tested it for the Atom too.

I don't think this will devalue an Atom in fact I would say it would make it a lot more affordable and attractive than a car with a manual gearbox, and certainly makes way more sense than a SADEV imo.

DMZ

Post by DMZ » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:44 pm

Any issues with rebuild intervals or longevity in general on those Quaife gearboxes vs Sadev?

Italianpaul

Post by Italianpaul » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:50 pm

DMZ wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:44 pm Any issues with rebuild intervals or longevity in general on those Quaife gearboxes vs Sadev?
    I spoke to Henry about this. His view if I remember correctly (it's an age thing) was that over a ten year period of average Atom mileage with Track days, a Sadev would need a service/rebuild twice with hard driving and a Qualife three to four times, although the Qualife has no track record on an Atom. Only time will tell, but from the comments from Henry and initial first impressions, he seemed too like the gearbox.

My view is if you go for the Qualife, it makes sense to get Aerial.to do the work even if it is a little more money. If you do have problems then they are a one stop shop to sort it out rather than travelling all over the country.

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:05 pm

I don't believe Ariel have ever rebuilt a SADEV to date at least. I am not so concerned with Quaife not ever being used in an Atom they are used in pretty much everything else including Radicals that are used for racing and I think they are brilliant in those cars.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:20 pm

simonrhart wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:34 pm
    speedmachine wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:53 am
    CAG3D wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:54 pm £10k is a lot cheaper than the SADEV box......

Not sure if it would de-value the Atom though

I think the SADEV box will certainly add value to a 3.5R (good investment)

Who said 10k?
    That 10k kit is for the 4 👍
    I said £10k, you can get it here with the gear options and looks like you can specify how long each gear is which is pretty nice:
    https://www.dream-automotive.com/produc ... 1400741134

The factory prices are similar so probably make sense to buy from them, after all they have tested it for the Atom too.

I don't think this will devalue an Atom in fact I would say it would make it a lot more affordable and attractive than a car with a manual gearbox, and certainly makes way more sense than a SADEV imo.

Sorry for the late reply, but your link brings us to the quaife for the atom 4, this box is not available for the 3 or 3.5, nor does Ariel offer a quaife or anything else sequential for the 3 or 3.5, apart from the sadev box.

Mounting a quaife anyways, will definatly make it a hard to sell car. No doubt at all. Ariel does not support this setup

levo 1

Post by levo 1 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:01 pm

Hi All

So the Quaife box has done about 400 miles so fat and has been driven very hard at Doninton to day and appears to performing superbly
    with almost seamless up/down shifts i like it its a plesure to drive on track

Thanks Paul.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:43 am

levo 1 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:01 pm Hi All

So the Quaife box has done about 400 miles so fat and has been driven very hard at Doninton to day and appears to performing superbly
    with almost seamless up/down shifts i like it its a plesure to drive on track

Thanks Paul.

Did you make a video?

Must have been loads of fun

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:18 pm

speedmachine wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:20 pm
    Sorry for the late reply, but your link brings us to the quaife for the atom 4, this box is not available for the 3 or 3.5, nor does Ariel offer a quaife or anything else sequential for the 3 or 3.5, apart from the sadev box.

Mounting a quaife anyways, will definatly make it a hard to sell car. No doubt at all. Ariel does not support this setup
    Yes this was more for the Atom 4. I don't know about earlier cars other than the Sadev. Ariel supports the Quaife for the Atom 4 and I see this enhancing the car somewhat if one has it fitted. It's actually cheaper to get Ariel to fit the pneumatically activated seq gearbox than to go elsewhere like this electronic version. I looked into it, it's not a huge amount but to me it makes more sense to get Ariel to fit it all. I will purchase this gearbox at some stage once the car is run in etc, the seq will be much more fun than the manual.

levo 1

Post by levo 1 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:51 pm

Hi All the Atom is booked for another track evening at doninton on the 26th of this month i will stick a go pro on and make a vid for you all. I built the box myself and the internals are very strong ie well made the QKE8j box can handle a considerable amount of power i know some people who run in excess of 700/1000 hp drag cars with this box . PS Simon you can get ariel to fit it with Geartronics actuators system, and the thing is if you do cak it up you can buy each cog or any part separately from Quaife and they are in the UK.

Paul.

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:05 pm

levo 1 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:51 pm Hi All the Atom is booked for another track evening at doninton on the 26th of this month i will stick a go pro on and make a vid for you all. I built the box myself and the internals are very strong ie well made the QKE8j box can handle a considerable amount of power i know some people who run in excess of 700/1000 hp drag cars with this box . PS Simon you can get ariel to fit it with Geartronics actuators system, and the thing is if you do cak it up you can buy each cog or any part separately from Quaife and they are in the UK.

Paul.
    Thanks Paul, would love to see what it is like on track. How is it on the road at low speeds, I assume you need to use the clutch quite a bit with this gearbox?

I can ask Ariel, but not sure they would fit the pro shift system. My other worry is how much amp draw does this system use? because the Atom has a very small battery, I would be able to work out potential battery issues if any. If I remember correctly the whole setup without fitting was around £15k inc. the gearbox, quite a bit more than the pneumatically activated system from Ariel. How much better is an electronic system?

Atom ownership is depleting my stock! haha

levo 1

Post by levo 1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:30 pm

Hi Simon
    It changes gear as good as a 3.5r with a Sadev as my friend has one and i have driven both. The amp draw is about 100 amp but it is only for a millisecond so no problems there. It uses less electric than a compressor on the sadev or pneumatic set up it is gentler on the actuation than pneumatic as it ramps it in slow and slowly increases but all this happens in milliseconds. Roy at Pro shift will expand on this. This is a break down of costs - the gearbox from Quaife cost £5500 and proshift would charge you about £4/4.5 to fit all the electric's ie paddles, dbw, dbs with auto blipper, every thing you need. They will set it up. It also has a switch on the dash for a rain setting. Driving on the road is a little bit noisier. I use the clutch sometimes to change down at very low speeds ie 2nd and first gear or in the pits - driving it on track is amazing, you never miss a gear up or down just simply put you left foot on the foot rest and you can concentrate on where you are going . Simon you are welcome to come and have a ride or go in the car. If you fit a Sadeve to your car, the box alone is about £7500, then different drive shafts, bell housing adapter, a ecu to drive it. That's why (don t ) quote me but that conversion costs about £20k, so the Quaife will probably hit around £11.5 paying someone to do it all. I hope this helps - I am very happy with it in my car there are also quite a few options on the gear ratios and you can still have helical gears if you want it quiet, most atoms are geared to about 160 at full rpm and the engine is just not powerfull enough to get there so you could go with a slightly lower final drive and it would accelerate a lot faster. (options are nice) you have 5 gears and on mine 1st gear is sort of in-between 1/2 on a normal 2nd is almost 3rd on a normal car and as you know 1st is a waste of time on the normal atom. A lot to think about - I run 18 inch wheels on mine so picked the final drive ratios to equate back to 162mph at 8500rpm top speed. Other things to consider are a stage 3 clutch to hold the power but for track use, a sequential is essential. I am also sure my friend will give you a ride in the 3.5 r so you can compare but there is nothing between them apart from that he has 6 gears. Paul.

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:11 pm

levo 1 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:30 pm Hi Simon
    It changes gear as good as a 3.5r with a Sadev as my friend has one and i have driven both. The amp draw is about 100 amp but it is only for a millisecond so no problems there. It uses less electric than a compressor on the sadev or pneumatic set up it is gentler on the actuation than pneumatic as it ramps it in slow and slowly increases but all this happens in milliseconds. Roy at Pro shift will expand on this. This is a break down of costs - the gearbox from Quaife cost £5500 and proshift would charge you about £4/4.5 to fit all the electric's ie paddles, dbw, dbs with auto blipper, every thing you need. They will set it up. It also has a switch on the dash for a rain setting. Driving on the road is a little bit noisier. I use the clutch sometimes to change down at very low speeds ie 2nd and first gear or in the pits - driving it on track is amazing, you never miss a gear up or down just simply put you left foot on the foot rest and you can concentrate on where you are going . Simon you are welcome to come and have a ride or go in the car. If you fit a Sadeve to your car, the box alone is about £7500, then different drive shafts, bell housing adapter, a ecu to drive it. That's why (don t ) quote me but that conversion costs about £20k, so the Quaife will probably hit around £11.5 paying someone to do it all. I hope this helps - I am very happy with it in my car there are also quite a few options on the gear ratios and you can still have helical gears if you want it quiet, most atoms are geared to about 160 at full rpm and the engine is just not powerfull enough to get there so you could go with a slightly lower final drive and it would accelerate a lot faster. (options are nice) you have 5 gears and on mine 1st gear is sort of in-between 1/2 on a normal 2nd is almost 3rd on a normal car and as you know 1st is a waste of time on the normal atom. A lot to think about - I run 18 inch wheels on mine so picked the final drive ratios to equate back to 162mph at 8500rpm top speed. Other things to consider are a stage 3 clutch to hold the power but for track use, a sequential is essential. I am also sure my friend will give you a ride in the 3.5 r so you can compare but there is nothing between them apart from that he has 6 gears. Paul.
    Thanks mate for the offer to go out in your car, I'd love to!! I always made the decision that I will fit a sequential box to my car but seeing it in action will allow me to see what it's like in an Atom. I have an Atom 4, so Quaife is the option for me.

Let me know where you plan to be. I plan to do some track days later in July, around Snetterton, Brands Hatch and probably Bedford if that aligns with your plans pls let me know.

Cheers
    Simon