Atom 4 on Top Gear

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Karl V

Re: Atom 4 on Top Gear

Post by Karl V » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:32 pm

ace_cox wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:18 pm I probably agree with the too scared to buy a motorbike LOL!!
I owe my first Atom to this fact. I told the missus I wanted a bike and we 'compromised' on an Atom.

And then recently, I said I wanted another Atom and we 'compromised' on a Nomad.

The things I do to support her midlife crisis :laugh:

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:00 pm

You are a good man Karl.....selfless...

I came from motorbikes - it wasnt fright ! Just got fed up of falling over....

foxie

Post by foxie » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:14 am

Love having an excuse of mid life.... love bikes though they don’t like me... last time out broke c2 with little high side ending in me going though incoming car headlight and she had the cheek to park her car on me too . For me loved Haris review and completely encapsulated the reason I have build slot 180 .... rawness... even as passenger when down seeing the guys at atom... for me best review is with Henry on Carfection....

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:51 am

For me the review was pretty good. I bet some of us did buy an Atom as part of there mid life crises. I did with my first one, however the 2nd one was not mid life crises it was me missing the fun of the Atom after I sold it and wanted to make sure I got an early 4. Great to see how he agrees with the fact of how much the handling has changed on the 4 and he certainly loved the performance of it. Cannot wait to see how fast it is around the track in the dry just such a shame that the weather was wrong for the lap time. At the end of the day, the 4 is still true to what an Atom is all about. Having Serious Fun and Chris Harris's face still proves just how much fun the Atom 4 is.

Great Car, Great Company to deal with, Low depreciation and excellent reliability. What more could we want

Anon

Post by Anon » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:26 am

Agreed. A lot of people want, doors, windscreen, a heater, carpet, roof etc. But I don't care about that, there are plenty of other cars. With this, it's just man/person and machine strapped together.

cvjoint

Post by cvjoint » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:49 am

It should also be said that the road clearance the Atom has makes it one of the few superlights that can be used on the road. It doesn't rely on a low composite body with huge overhangs to go fast, which makes it very usable on the road. On track, it can be driven aggressively over bumps, berms, etc which again is quite different than something like a Radical. Lots more road to have and very hard to upset the chassis, quite unique in the superlight class.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:56 pm

I finally watched the entire TG episode.

Harris is just repeating the understeer comments i have heard in at least one other review (5th Gear from memory). Of course its all really rubbish and any understeer is actually due to driver technique, the suspension setup, tyre type, temp, pressures, etc etc. The only element of "truth" in it is due to the engine layout and weight distribution. But its a characteristic not an issue. If Ariel had wanted 50-50 weight distribution they could have designed the car in that way.

But i have to say he obviously loved the car, and his mid-life crisis comments are not so far from Clarkson's all those years ago.

The real shame is the weather conditions, and the time around the track. VERY disappointing. :( Track day tyres in wet / damp conditions not up to temp are going to be rubbish. I have been there myself and there is no grip. You can argue the Stig was rubbish (maybe), but I am sure if it had been dry he could have got some heat into the tyres and the car would have put in a great time. I can only hope they do (as suggested) get the car back on a warmish dry day in the summer. Then we will see. >:D
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Monza

Post by Monza » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:28 pm

The only reason i can see about "understeer with Atom 3.5" is in this case : 3.5 R with Sadev gearbox, hard setup Ohlins and cold/damp track.
In this case, as for the V8, the friction Discs LSD in the Sadev makes the front tires much less directive at the end of the braking till the Apex of the corner.
On a very cold dry day, this is the same situation but after some track laps, the heat begins in front tires and understeer disappears.
Perhaps last tests of these journalists with 3.5 R + sadev were made in these situations.

ace_cox

Post by ace_cox » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:46 am

Karl V wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:32 pm
ace_cox wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:18 pm I probably agree with the too scared to buy a motorbike LOL!!
I owe my first Atom to this fact. I told the missus I wanted a bike and we 'compromised' on an Atom.

And then recently, I said I wanted another Atom and we 'compromised' on a Nomad.

The things I do to support her midlife crisis :laugh:
I have to say that is something I’ve considered seriously .... wife would definitely prefer an Atom to a bike! How do you get on the waiting list - I’d like to test drive a 4 (Obvs when we’re allowed to) is it still years?

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:30 am

Stick down a healthy deposit and forget about it for 3 yrs

....or wait till someone flips one and be prepared to pay a £10k premium for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:11 pm

Not sure there will be a £10k premium now.......

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:33 pm

CAG3D wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:11 pm Not sure there will be a £10k premium now.......

Not everyone is affected by the Coronavirus. There was a 4 for sale on here a few days back and it sold within 2 days and was asking £69k if I remember correctly which is over the odds for it. Not quite £10k though, granted. So there is still plenty of people with cash.

I am about to order an Ultima RS, my dream for many years. The plan was to order a car I could build during lock down, but there is a 24 week wait for the chassis. My 4 is waiting to be collected but I can't get it yet, I am hoping the gov't will relax lock down next week so my dream of driving an Atom comes to life sooner than later.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:41 pm

simonrhart wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:33 pm My 4 is waiting to be collected but I can't get it yet, I am hoping the gov't will relax lock down next week so my dream of driving an Atom comes to life sooner than later.
I'll meet you there Simon! I'm keen to get my Nomad out of Crewkerne's way as soon as we are able to. Although... I'm not sure I relish the trip by train (going via the London Underground). I may have to investigate a drop off service...

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri May 01, 2020 8:44 am

simonrhart wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:33 pm I am about to order an Ultima RS, my dream for many years. The plan was to order a car I could build during lock down, but there is a 24 week wait for the chassis. My 4 is waiting to be collected but I can't get it yet, I am hoping the gov't will relax lock down next week so my dream of driving an Atom comes to life sooner than later.
Ultima RS :drool: .

PLEASE do a build thread. :tu:
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri May 01, 2020 9:08 am

Karl V wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:41 pm
I'll meet you there Simon! I'm keen to get my Nomad out of Crewkerne's way as soon as we are able to. Although... I'm not sure I relish the trip by train (going via the London Underground). I may have to investigate a drop off service...
Yes I was planning on going by train. I need to get some nice Norfolk ale for the chaps at the factory, could be tricky carrying on the London Undergound. One thing is for sure, I am on a look out for of these:
51UQ8kH0HGL._AC_SX466_.jpg
51UQ8kH0HGL._AC_SX466_.jpg (29.12 KiB) Viewed 438 times