Atom 4 on Top Gear

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
markwetherall

Atom 4 on Top Gear

Post by markwetherall » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:39 am

Chris Harris is driving the Atom 4 on Top Gear on Sunday. lets hope he does a better review than fifth gear.

Peter255

Re: Atom 4 on Top Gear

Post by Peter255 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:50 am

Yeah i spotted that. I have been avoiding TG due to flat earth Freddie and that other comedy prat with the terrible hair transplant.

Harris is testing it (and he is pretty good) so i'd watch it if i was in the country..... but i'm not. lol ;D
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

jaylatti

Post by jaylatti » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:15 pm

jaylatti

Post by jaylatti » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:16 pm

Zoom

Colzo

Post by Colzo » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:46 pm

Looking forward to seeing this. That wee clip was much more informative than 5th Gear's effort. Monkey Harris knows how to pedal a car as well, so his feedback will be great to hear. Looks like the waiting list might be about to get a bit longer!

Anon

Post by Anon » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:26 pm

So it looks like Chris is finally happy with an Atom with the 4 :tu: I don't have a TV licence so will need to wait until it's up on YouTube or somewhere else.

DMZ

Post by DMZ » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:04 am

Other than production quality and some YouTube friendly slides, not sure I see the big difference between this and the Fifth Gear test. Both saying it’s fast, it’s raw, and great on track. Chris Harris likes a narrative about how the previous version of much anything is a bit rubbish (despite having fawned over it previously) and here he’s not exactly complimentary of the Atom 3 which apparently can’t do corners. I’m sure the 4 is a big step forward but surely a bit unfair on the 3?

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:36 am

DMZ wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:04 am I’m sure the 4 is a big step forward but surely a bit unfair on the 3?
It did seem quite harsh. The Atom 3 will go round corners, it's not a yank tank or similar. Perhaps he was just trying to "simplify" for a non-petrol head audience.

And you're right about the comparison with Fifth gear. In this bit alone he just drives it around a track... something it's great at. Whereas the fifth gear test went a bit more back to reality, driving it on normal roads before getting to to the track.

If you are new to Atoms and going to only drive on the track and trailer it there and back, then this seems to be the review for you. If you're more like most members here and drive it on the road, either to/from track or just for a Sunday blast then I'd pay a little heed to the Fifth gear stuff.

Anon

Post by Anon » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:57 am

It was a bit of an exaggeration, but Chris Harris is a Caterham lad.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:04 pm

Is there a link for this available (with the complete scene instead of just 2,5 min)

DMZ

Post by DMZ » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:41 pm

It’s on tonight and after that I’m sure it will be available on your favourite download site.

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:38 pm

Didn’t really sell it to the world did he?

Atom 3 can’t go around corners.... ? An odd statement.

The track time, damp wet conditions etc, nobody cares, all they’ll remember is that it’s a the bottom of the table.

I hope they do get it out in the sunshine, to see what it is capable of.

Also, why do they always get the stats wrong? £40k (he did say it starts from, BT they should and this one is.....), 320bhp, isn’t it the 350 power upgrade?

And just to end..... CRIPPLING MIDLIFE CRISIS. What a plonker!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:41 am

He was pretty enthusiastic, so thumbs up, I was very glas to finally see some track miles on tv in the new Atom, that took some time.

I almost think Ariel dont want them to say 350hp, could it be that the upgrade isnt exactly legal or homologated?

In the wet these things dont go fast, so pitty that it was wet, but cant have it all.

They are not going to put it up again, filming is long ready

Badders

Post by Badders » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:45 am

CAG3D wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:38 pm And just to end..... CRIPPLING MIDLIFE CRISIS
Yep, that quote ensured my phone started pinging relentlessly. All the nearest and dearest will be reminding me of that for months. ::)

It's a shame about the time, but at least they've committed to trying again when it's dry.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:45 am

I found it curious that Harris stated categorically that the Atom 3 has aggressive understeer because I generally experience a degree of oversteer in my 3.5R with Ohlins and 'sticky' tyres fitted - when I had the Bilsteins on the car it did understeer but only very slightly - and only if I was somewhat over enthusiastic with the throttle!

I was disappointed in that the lap-time test was done on a cold and damp day as this obviously prohibited the direct comparison with a 3.5R.

- personally I doubt, given the same conditions and the 350BHP version, if there would be much (if anything) between the 3.5R and the 4 - but as the tested car was apparently the 320BHP version - I rather suspect that it would probably have gone around the lap a bit slower than a 3.5R as the Atom 4 Top Gear tested is both heavier than a 3.5R and with a lower power output!

Like others I am surprised that they didn't review the 350BHP version!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)