Basic New Owner Questions

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
travelbug63

Basic New Owner Questions

Post by travelbug63 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:55 am

OK I'm taking delivery of my first Atom in a couple of months and have a couple of very basic questions:

If people don't want to carry their crash helmet around with them when you're out of their car, how do you securely leave it in the car ?

Can anyone do the first 500 mile oil service ? If it's as simple as an oil change anyone can do it can't they. Whilst I'll have all the other services done at Ariel. I'd really like to avoid the time and cost of a 300 mile round trip to Crewkerne
Atom 4, Jaguar I Pace, Honda cr-v (dog carrier), Mini JCW (wife's)

markwetherall

Re: Basic New Owner Questions

Post by markwetherall » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:59 am

I use a bike padlock which I attach to the frame to secure a crash helmet which works well.

The factory do a bit more than just an oil change. they check over the car to make sure everything is as it should be. I would recommend that you get the first service done by them at the very least. Also when I had mine done they also upgraded the ECU software as they had just changed it

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:13 am

I never locked my helmet up, and never had it lost.

Even left a pair of Oakleys on the rear tray for a few hours... and they were there when I got back.

I'd usually just put the helmet down in the passenger "footwell", and as I say, no issues. YMMV for sure.

As Mark says, the first service is checking all the nuts and bolts to check everything is still done up etc. It's a fair bit more than an oil change, and takes a few hours.

cannon24889

Post by cannon24889 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:15 pm

I also pick the car up in a few weeks so will be following this closely as its my first atom.

I wasn't aware of the 500 oil change, and again its a 5 hour drive to the factory from where I live so it maybe better to spend a few days down there and get it done... How are ariel for fitting servicing it, if this is what I wanted to do how much notice do they need? Also what costs are involved in the first service etc?

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:24 pm

You need to book the car in with the service department. There is often a few weeks to wait, but you might be lucky.

The first service is £100 from memory, and takes a few hours.

Give them a call and schedule and collection and first service 2 days later.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:46 pm

Same as Mark. I have a sleeved bike combination lock down near the passenger footwell. Handy for locking up a helmet or a travel bag with no valuables in it.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

travelbug63

Post by travelbug63 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:31 am

Excellent, thanks for the replies Gents.

A bike chain and a trip to Crewkerne it is then.

Cheers
Atom 4, Jaguar I Pace, Honda cr-v (dog carrier), Mini JCW (wife's)

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:01 pm

travelbug63 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:31 am A bike chain and a trip to Crewkerne it is then.
Sounds ominous :H:

:roflp: