What sort of mileage before taking a new car to the Track?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Anon

What sort of mileage before taking a new car to the Track?

Post by Anon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:12 pm

As per the title, what is the recommended miles for the clutch and brakes etc to be bedded in on the Atom before giving it full beans on track? I am trying to plan my track event calendar for this year.

I assume the engine is bench run in?

Cheers
Simon

Peter255

Re: What sort of mileage before taking a new car to the Track?

Post by Peter255 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:06 pm

The engine is NOT bench run in AFAIK.

The key step is the 500miles engine service (oil change). After that you can give it the full beans. I was advised to stay off tack till after then.

The clutch and brakes also need use to bed in but after having NOT screamed it for 500miles they will be fine.

I have done 1,000 miles now so am looking at dates for the track! >:D

Ariel will also confirm their suggestions if you drop them a line.

:vroom:
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:59 pm

I have done 1,000 miles now so am looking at dates for the track! >:D
Let the games begin! :tu:

I am thinking about staying down in Crewkerne during pickup, put on 500 miles while down there then back to the factory. Otherwise, I will have to trailer the car to my house for pick up then trailer it back to the factory for it's 500 mile service which will be a very short time frame I think.

What do other people do here? for me I live ~300 miles away. The car will only ever be serviced by Ariel but for future servicing this is not a big issue. Another thing I thought about is driving it to East Anglia to get it's PPF and detail then drive back to Ariel when done that should be 500 miles. Take the A303 for some nice roads.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:54 am

Remember to avoid constant throttle and rpm cruising during running in where possible.

You are supposed to use a range of throttle opening and rpms when running in.

I was told to avoid cruising back home down the 303 for this reason. I took the back roads.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:33 am

^ It's not just the engine that needs running in. The gearbox and brakes need a suitable workout too.

And I wouldn't be hung up on hitting exactly 500 miles either. Arguably it is better to only do 400 miles of varied driving than bang on 500 miles of straight line 6th gear driving. Mine went back after 650 miles of 'running in', after consultation with Crewkerne.

I think the general advice is not to floor it out of the factory gates!

Italianpaul

Post by Italianpaul » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:09 pm

I think when the time comes to collect mine(12 agonising months to wait) and as I want to get its PPF done as soon as I collect it. I would rather get that done first, as if you do the running in first you are liable to sods law of averages and get hit by every stone or other bit of crap thrown up by every vehicle you pass or passes you.
That way when you get it home you can enjoy a drive out on roads you know in weather of your choice.

I know this is the long way round and a lot more miles to drive with it in the trailer( I am 360 miles away from the factory ) but I think in the long run probably the safest to avoid any early stone chips.

Just thought I'd put my 10 pence worth in .

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:27 pm

I drove mine for 7 years from new without ppf and it had very few stone chips evident at sale time.

Just avoid those dirty airfields ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:31 pm

That is a great idea, get it tailored to the PPF shop, this was my other idea to do this then drive from there. The benefit of this is as you say Paul, you would avoid damage on the way home. Ariel do not offer PPF, I don't think there are any shops down there that does it otherwise I would have had it done at build.

My concern without PPF is all the carbon I have spec'ed on my car, damaged carbon looks unsightly.