Atom 4 350bhp remap

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Anon

Atom 4 350bhp remap

Post by Anon » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:18 pm

Hi chaps,

I have been going round and round on whether to spec the 350bhp out of the gate. I originally spec'ed it, then when the chassis was ordered in Dec and final spec put forward I took it off after reading from some people that the throttle response is a little aggressive. So I figured I would take the car on the stock remap try that, if it's not enough power or too tame, go out in the 350bhp car so I can "feel" what it's like from the passenger seat and make a decision during the first 500 mile service as to whether to have it remapped at that time. Now I am thinking twice about this and just getting it at build if it's not too late.

I know it's been mentioned briefly already, but for those that have the 350bhp upgrade can you give some feedback to how it feels throughout the rev range compared to the red 320bhp car, any regrets and is it overall a better map? This is my first Atom, but I do know how to drive track cars ;)

Thanks
Simon

markwetherall

Re: Atom 4 350bhp remap

Post by markwetherall » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:38 pm

I had the 350 from build and am really happy with it. Certainly wouldn't say it is aggressive, there is a lot of torque but really easy to manage. Peter had the 320 and switched to 350 at first service but it did cost more money as they have to take the fuel tank out to do the upgrade. Have a look at some of the previous posts as he certainly was happy with it. For me I am really glad with the power upgrade but I did not have the sports exhaust and have stayed with standard exhaust due to noise on tracks and didn't want the police to hear me coming

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:41 pm

I did 500 miles in my car before upgrading at the first service.

Its a safe way to do it but will cost you an additional 5 hours labour (£330inc VAT) to take the fuel tank out to fit the downpipe.

It is a more aggressive ECU map. Not sure the throttle map is different tho. The 320 map is very smooth and almost underwhelming IMO.

The more aggressive power delivery is quite manageable with some heat in the tyres and throttle modulation.

If you know how to drive track cars I don't think you will have an issue. It is far easier to control that my old s/c Atom 2.

I suspect on track when "trying" care will be needed coming out of corners due to the additional torque and aggressive map, but the old cars are hardly easy to drive eh? I think we will be driving one gear up on track to control the torque. A very different approach to the old cars. I am looking forward to trying to master it.

I think the new car comes alive with the extra power which takes it back to (and in some cases beyond) the power to weight of the older but lighter cars.

My only concern is the price. If your happy with that, go for it. :vroom:

If you want to pop by Newbury sometime i am happy to demo (if its dry).
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:43 pm

Thanks Mark.

I read Peters feedback on it. I am wondering how linear it is? Do we know what extra boost the remap gives? I think the 320bhp map is 1.3bar if memory serves correct.

The other thing I was thinking about is the 4R (assuming there will be one) will likely have other power upgrades. It may make sense to wait for what those look like.

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:08 pm

Thanks Peter for the write up, it's very interesting and the offer of going out in your car. I will let you know if I am in the area anytime soon.

Regarding the price, it's not cheap but on the grand scheme of things not a big deal either. I am wondering what the power upgrades will be for the 4R because this is different to the older cars where power was mechanical and to get to the 3.5R you had to get a supercharger upgrade then other power additions like supercharger enhancements and charge/oil coolers etc at cost. This time at least with this new engine it's software and a pipe. Of course I am over simplifying it but this time it should be easier to tune the 4R. I am trying to find technical specs on the Honda K20C engine to see it's efficiency beyond 1.3 bar.

Tompy

Post by Tompy » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:38 pm

simonrhart wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:08 pm Thanks Peter for the write up, it's very interesting and the offer of going out in your car. I will let you know if I am in the area anytime soon.

Regarding the price, it's not cheap but on the grand scheme of things not a big deal either. I am wondering what the power upgrades will be for the 4R because this is different to the older cars where power was mechanical and to get to the 3.5R you had to get a supercharger upgrade then other power additions like supercharger enhancements and charge/oil coolers etc at cost. This time at least with this new engine it's software and a pipe. Of course I am over simplifying it but this time it should be easier to tune the 4R. I am trying to find technical specs on the Honda K20C engine to see it's efficiency beyond 1.3 bar.
When i picked up my 4 i asked henry about the 4 r. There will be a 4 r in about 2 years. They certainly will change the pistons so it won’t be a cheap upgrade

DMZ

Post by DMZ » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:42 am

Personally I’m not going for the upgrade out of the box. It’s an easy thing to add later if I for some reason conclude that totally bonkers performance is insufficient. It’s less than an additional 10% in power so I really doubt it fundamentally changes anything that isn’t in reality limited by my skills or commitment.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:13 am

DMZ wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:42 am Personally I’m not going for the upgrade out of the box. It’s an easy thing to add later if I for some reason conclude that totally bonkers performance is insufficient. It’s less than an additional 10% in power so I really doubt it fundamentally changes anything that isn’t in reality limited by my skills or commitment.
A solid plan. :tu: Its not much more £££ to upgrade later in the grand scheme of things. I would say though that the 10% more power is definitely noticeable. It not just the top figure thats different. The delivery is different too. When Ian's beast is ready we will get some power runs on the RR done and i would like to compare a 320 to 350 as the delivery feels quite different.

:vroom:

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:38 am

I think it would be rude not to add the extra power!!

I also suspect you would notice the power come out of corners on track, if the guy in front is on 350 and you are 320 you would probably see him/her with more drive. It's the same with the Radicals, if you are in a SR3 and the guy in front is in a SR8 the SR8 just pulls away on corner exit although power difference between those two is a lot wider than this.

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:52 pm

Simon,

Happy new year mate.... I think you know what you need to do!!!

Make that call to Ariel today! No one has ever regretted adding 30bhp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:21 pm

Luckky wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:52 pm Make that call to Ariel today! No one has ever regretted adding 30bhp ImageImageImage
Unless their partner / wife see's the CC bill for £3k? :o

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:22 pm

He’s a highly skilled man! So you are right, she might see it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:02 pm

Luckky wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:22 pm He’s a highly skilled man! So you are right, she might see it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks matey!

Will speak to Tom when he is back on Monday if it can be tagged on. A downpipe needs to be ordered hope it's not too late.