Rear View/reversing camera

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
autobackup

Rear View/reversing camera

Post by autobackup » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:59 am

A question or two about the Atom 4 Reversing Camera option as I am considering whether it would be feasible/possible to retrofit one to my 3.5R?

1. Is this only active when reversing or can it be set to be permanently on? (i.e. so as to act like a rear-view mirror)
2. How wide (horizontal & vertical) is the field of view?
3. I assume that the monitor head is fully waterproof?
4. Who is the manufacturer?

If it is set by Ariel for use only as a reversing monitor I suspect that the camera is probably wired via the reversing light so it only is activated when the car is in reverse gear - if this is so can it be alternatively wired via an ignition controlled 12v feed so it activates with the ignition and then acts as a rear-view mirror during normal driving?

If the unit can be set to be permanently on is the monitor rated for continuous use?
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Peter255

Re: Rear View/reversing camera

Post by Peter255 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:03 am

I believe the reversing camera uses the dash for the picture, so it cannot be used when driving.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:14 am

You may also want a different angle of view (vertical) if using it as a rear-view as opposed to reversing camera.

As Peter says it uses the dash display, which pre 4's don't have, you'd be using an external display, in which case there are many many options available for "normal" cars, that I'm sure could be adapated without too much trouble.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:58 am

Thanks for that - I didn't realize that on the Atom 4 it uses the dash display.

You are right in that there are many options available but, unfortunately few, if any, with a waterproof head display unit which I consider essential for use in an Atom

Sent from my Mi Note 10 using Tapatalk

Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:34 pm

I plan to put a rugged tablet device in my Atom 4, something like a Dell Lattitude, but may go for something smaller: https://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/shop/la ... ol7212emea and it can then be used as a; rear on-track camera screen so I can see behind at all times (connected to rear camera), sat nav, lap timing software, music and loads of other stuff. Given it runs Windows 10, it will be easier to write and deploy custom software for it.