Atom 4 wins Autocar's 'Britain's Best Driver's Car'

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
markwetherall

Re: Atom 4 wins Autocar's 'Britain's Best Driver's Car'

Post by markwetherall » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:03 am

Peter255 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:10 am
markwetherall wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:09 pm Few laptimes for you from full circuit at Anglesey from the review

Dallara Stradale 1min 33.4
Ariel Atom 4 1min 35.2
McLaren 600lt 1min 35.6
Porsche 718 gt4 1min 39.6

That is one hell of a laptime from the atom. Quicker than the 600lt and only beaten by the dallara.
GREAT time there for the Atom 4 350. Nice. :tu:

I'll be honest i'd give my favorite left nad for that Dallara tho. Beautiful. 8) Shame its double my budget. :'(
In the review the Atom wiped the floor with the Dallara. It might be quick but the Atom was a much better car and much more fun and considerably less money

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:05 am

cvjoint wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:41 pm
markwetherall wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:09 pm Few laptimes for you from full circuit at Anglesey from the review

Dallara Stradale 1min 33.4
Ariel Atom 4 1min 35.2
McLaren 600lt 1min 35.6
Porsche 718 gt4 1min 39.6

That is one hell of a laptime from the atom. Quicker than the 600lt and only beaten by the dallara.
Amazing what the Atom can do without aero. I hope the wings they designed for the 4 are massive, it's also the kind of car that gives massive returns from little aero improvements. Should be neck in neck with the Dallara with the aero.
My understanding is that the Atom 4 Aero actually works this time so it will be interesting to see how much extra time it will make. Will find out next year when I add them to mine. Will add them at the end of the year so I get a really good idea on how much they help

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:48 am

Presumably the Dallara was sequential too?

Cheers,
Stu

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:04 pm

Can anyone download the article onto here? I couldn't find anywhere that stocked the original issue.

Cheers,
Hedge

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:17 pm

Hedge wrote:Can anyone download the article onto here? I couldn't find anywhere that stocked the original issue.

Cheers,
Hedge
Im sure there will be copywrite issues but it will be on their web site soon. PM me an email address and ill send a copy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cvjoint

Post by cvjoint » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:43 pm

markwetherall wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:05 am
My understanding is that the Atom 4 Aero actually works this time so it will be interesting to see how much extra time it will make. Will find out next year when I add them to mine. Will add them at the end of the year so I get a really good idea on how much they help
I'm sure the old one worked a little as well. It's a matter of how much does it work. I shaved off 4.1 seconds on a similarly long track with custom aero and I only have 249 whp naturally aspirated. The sky is the limit. The aero renderings are such a closely guarded secret, the curiosity is killing me

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:35 pm

cvjoint wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:43 pm
markwetherall wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:05 am
I'm sure the old one worked a little as well. It's a matter of how much does it work. I shaved off 4.1 seconds on a similarly long track with custom aero and I only have 249 whp naturally aspirated. The sky is the limit. The aero renderings are such a closely guarded secret, the curiosity is killing me
The factory have some excellent renderings of the Aero. I have seen the front wing and it looks pretty good. Suggest you contact them and ask for the renderings

Colzo

Post by Colzo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:43 pm

Here's a wee extract from Autocar online where they talk about how each car handled going round Church Corner. By all accounts one of the most challenging corners at Angelsey. Very impressive reading!

"An Ariel Atom 4 is perfect for Church if you don’t mind wrapping up against the breeze. It’s certainly worth it. The confidence you get from the chassis and steering here, and the feel you have for the grip level under the front axle, is like nothing else. The car’s light and can carry huge speed without rolling much at all. The pedal placement and brake action are a dream, so you feel like an immortal as you squeeze on the pads and prepare to commit. You can do no wrong. Next time, you tell yourself, I’ll be quicker. What a feeling."

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:55 am

It is refreshing to see some track action of the 4 finally. And what a great writeup. I subscribed to readly on the recommendation of someone here, thanks for that. I now pay for it, it has a 1 month free trial and it's so nice when reading mags on large 4k monitors.

Btw was it anyone here at the Monday Silverstone rma day a couple weeks ago? I was there and noticed an Atom on track.

kelvin12382003

Post by kelvin12382003 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:35 am

simonrhart wrote:It is refreshing to see some track action of the 4 finally. And what a great writeup. I subscribed to readly on the recommendation of someone here, thanks for that. I now pay for it, it has a 1 month free trial and it's so nice when reading mags on large 4k monitors.

Btw was it anyone here at the Monday Silverstone rma day a couple weeks ago? I was there and noticed an Atom on track.

Was it a yellow atom ? It might be me!!

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:27 pm

Yes I think it was, it went off across the grass at one point.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:52 pm

simonrhart wrote:Yes I think it was, it went off across the grass at one point.
Across the grass?! Brown trousers!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

kelvin12382003

Post by kelvin12382003 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:49 pm

simonrhart wrote:Yes I think it was, it went off across the grass at one point.
Yes, both car and driver were quite muddy ImageImageImage

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:48 pm

What happened because it looked like you drifted off on one of the straights? How did you find the Atom that day because it was quite greasy, cold and damp conditions. I was in Radicals all day.

kelvin12382003

Post by kelvin12382003 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:20 pm

simonrhart wrote:What happened because it looked like you drifted off on one of the straights? How did you find the Atom that day because it was quite greasy, cold and damp conditions. I was in Radicals all day.

The acceleration is just astonishing! Its the fastest car I have ever been driven on a track! I remembered the radicals were quite quick that day!