Project - Track Focused Atom 3

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Garmster

Re: Project - Track Focused Atom 3

Post by Garmster » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:02 pm

The atom has completed its 100 miles running in, all that's left is a engine oil change and reconfigure of the Dash2 before I go for a remap on the 27th of Feb. Thought I'd do a quick video to show the meth kit, oil cooler and catch tank. ;D ;D ;D

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:01 pm

You didn't reply to my post so I assume you are leaving the MAF sensor connected and not converting to a proper IAT set up to enable the ECU to read the actual temp of the charged air?

What PSI of boost are you expecting? Anymore than around 10psi and the standard sensor cannot cope, you would need to upgrade to something like a Hondata 4 bar MAP sensor. Another reason to bypass the MAF sensor and convert to an IAT/MAP sensor set up.

Garmster

Post by Garmster » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:10 pm

Toilet Duck wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:01 pm You didn't reply to my post so I assume you are leaving the MAF sensor connected and not converting to a proper IAT set up to enable the ECU to read the actual temp of the charged air?

What PSI of boost are you expecting? Anymore than around 10psi and the standard sensor cannot cope, you would need to upgrade to something like a Hondata 4 bar MAP sensor. Another reason to bypass the MAF sensor and convert to an IAT/MAP sensor set up.
Sorry for not replying and I do appreciate your comments as it has had me thinking. I agree with your notion that I need to replace the MAF with IAT/MAP sensor set up but Im thinking I have run out of time. Getting Romain's time on the Dyno is very difficult so I cannot move my Thursday date.

Will PM you now.

levo 1

Post by levo 1 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:52 pm

Hi All so who made the aero kit for Stuarts atom that front wing and rare wing look impressive is there any info on this car and more picks

Thanks Levo.

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:39 am

Front and Rear Wing on my car complete with all mounting brackets came from http://www.djracecars.com/

If you ring them and ask to speak to Del I'm sure he will be able to help

Cheers Stuart

Garmster

Post by Garmster » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:33 am

levo 1 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:52 pm Hi All so who made the aero kit for Stuarts atom that front wing and rare wing look impressive is there any info on this car and more picks

Thanks Levo.
I'm considering the aero, will make a massive difference but 5k + vat is not cheap.

Ps: I assume the Aero comes with all the brackets etc.

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:02 pm

It uses the Ariel front mount but with additional brace in centre to reduce flex. Rear bracket all brand new and bolts round chassis legs and to rear lower wishbone mount so really solid with very little movement at all.

Get them ordered although I would say wider tyres and wheels very good too, oh and Ohlins TTX

Oops there goes £15k lol

levo 1

Post by levo 1 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:05 am

Hi Stuart thanks for the info how much hp did the car have and what was the top speed as i do track days rather than time attack so need bit more speed on the straits and bends to P of the mclarrens and ferraris i already run 275 /18 on the rear and 225 /16 on the fronts slicks of course. Word has it you are building a 4 to a similar speck? thanks Paul.

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:31 am

Hi Paul

My car was running 485bhp at the rear wheels and 310 ft lbs torque. My tyres were 305 rears and 245 fronts but in a 15" size as that's all that is available in a Pirelli Corsa Classic (I had to run e-marked tyres in the Sprint Series)

Top speed is hard to say as I have only just had gearbox gearing altered to suit the 15" rim and now sold the car before really trying. But I removed 1st gear in the Sadev and moved 2-6th gears down and installed a new 6th gear (if that makes sense).
Speed in gears at red line should be 67/88/109/131/153/167 mph. Which I believe the power will run plus I gained a 6 speed box as I never used 1st before.

Hope this helps but I'm sure your 275 and 225 tyres will be way better than standard especially slicks.

Yes it all starts again with Atom 4 already researching mods. Engine/High Pressure Fuel Pump /New Turbo oh and of course wider wheels and tyres.

Cheers

Stuart

Garmster

Post by Garmster » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:32 pm

Yorkshire wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:31 am Hi Paul

My car was running 485bhp at the rear wheels and 310 ft lbs torque. My tyres were 305 rears and 245 fronts but in a 15" size as that's all that is available in a Pirelli Corsa Classic (I had to run e-marked tyres in the Sprint Series)

Top speed is hard to say as I have only just had gearbox gearing altered to suit the 15" rim and now sold the car before really trying. But I removed 1st gear in the Sadev and moved 2-6th gears down and installed a new 6th gear (if that makes sense).
Speed in gears at red line should be 67/88/109/131/153/167 mph. Which I believe the power will run plus I gained a 6 speed box as I never used 1st before.

Hope this helps but I'm sure your 275 and 225 tyres will be way better than standard especially slicks.

Yes it all starts again with Atom 4 already researching mods. Engine/High Pressure Fuel Pump /New Turbo oh and of course wider wheels and tyres.

Cheers

Stuart
Should have just bought your car and be done...lol

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:44 pm

I can cancel my sale and do straight swap for the yellow car in earlier post if helps lol

levo 1

Post by levo 1 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:04 pm

Hi stuart just bought a K24a3 car to get the engine i will build it over summer with some nice bits n bobs looking to run about 500hp and lots of torque mine is geared to 167 at 9000 with a Quaife box and diff at the moment so when the K24 is done i might move up to 20 inch wheels on a high speed track to get the top speed back re a lower rev limit i run nitron shocks with a pro shift paddle shift with auto blipper i would like the car to keep up with a radical on the bends and just push through that 130 barrier up to about 155mph any thing faster i probably don't have the bottle .would you not prefer to supercharge your new car as it would be a smother up take on the throttle
i live in Nottingham and go to Blyton a lot so hope to meet you one day and compare notes Paul.

Garmster

Post by Garmster » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:43 pm

Update: took the Atom for a rolling road map session and all did not go to plan. Apart from the wrong flashpro (thanks to [mention]IanG[/mention] for sorting that out) and the drive shaft popping out the gearbox (easy fix), we had two issue which need to be fixed with the IAT's and the Meth kit.

First the meth kit, DO NOT inject pre-charger, there is no point and you will lose power, not gain. I know some of you are saying "I told you so". We live and learn. The plan is to tap the meth injector to the inlet manifold as seen in the pic below. This also gets round the potential for any water that's not vapourised getting in to the charger as water cannot be compressed. On the AEM Meth kit you have three nozzles, I'll use the medium. If anyone has any experience here, please comment.

Secondly, the MAF IAT sensor is useless, its giving you the ambient air temp as opposed to the charge temps which is what you need. The MAF sensor is located by the air filter and shows IAT's around 15 degrees. No idea why Ariel even bother with this as its pretty much meaningless. So going to take the signal and ground wire from the MAF sensor and re-rote it to a new IAT sensor where I will need to tap a hole into the inlet manifold (as seen in the pic below, taken of [mention]IanG[/mention] engine).
image.png
image.png (4.3 MiB) Viewed 420 times
So just as a reminder, this won't work and you will lose power:
image.png
image.png (2.88 MiB) Viewed 420 times
Attachments
image.png
image.png (4.28 MiB) Viewed 420 times

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:50 pm

That's exactly what my car has (only mine are the other way round) IAT sensor in centre under where brace bar bolts as was nice flat area to tap into and create a seal.

The side entry one I had to have a boss welded on for the water meths as wall thickness not great there.

I don't think it makes a difference just I did IAT at start and water meths at the end of project so best flat surface had been taken.

Hope it all works I was only 4 years sorting mine to run ok lol

Stuart

Garmster

Post by Garmster » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:10 pm

Yorkshire wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:50 pm That's exactly what my car has (only mine are the other way round) IAT sensor in centre under where brace bar bolts as was nice flat area to tap into and create a seal.

The side entry one I had to have a boss welded on for the water meths as wall thickness not great there.

I don't think it makes a difference just I did IAT at start and water meths at the end of project so best flat surface had been taken.

Hope it all works I was only 4 years sorting mine to run ok lol

Stuart
Cheers Stuart, don't suppose you can validate my wiring assumption below.

So the MAF Sensor is currently wired as follows:
MAF sensor                        3 wires                  
Yellow/red (VCC1)                                          
Green/red (MAP)                                           
Green/white (SG1)

IAT Sensor:
Looking at the KPRO table below for the wires, for the IAT sensor which has two cables, can I assume I will re-use the SG1 wire as my Sensor Ground and the VCC1 as my IAT Voltage sensor cable. The MAP Sensor - Manifold Absolute Pressure seems to be redundant and I assume will remain redundant. Any thoughts, please let me know.
image.png
image.png (1.28 MiB) Viewed 409 times