Project - Track Focused Atom 3

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Garmster

Re: Project - Track Focused Atom 3

Post by Garmster » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:33 pm

speedmachine wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:36 pm Huh, thats about what you get with the stock R upgrade isnt it? You have a completely build engine, how does it not have more power?
No replacement for displacement:

It's a misunderstanding to assume that a fully forged engine automatically is more performant than a stock engine. After all, if the displacement is the same, why should there be more horses? However, there will be a big difference in the engines enduring ability.
My Atom engine is built using high quality performant components and strokered to 2160cc. A stroker kit only provides for an extra 160cc over stock. Forged components don't necessarily provide more horses although you do get reliability. It's worth looking at page 1 and seeing the results of my previous stock engine and how the pistons let go. The performance bottleneck is not the engine, its boost and specifically the limitation of the JRSC. To get more power you need more boost i.e. a new turbo or a different supercharger. You could go down the route of changing the pulley but then your Air intake temps go up and then you'll need a charge cooler. This engine can now take a new turbo/SC and easily put out 500bhp but I don't need to spend another £10k just yet. It's a track car, not a race car, so my priority is reliability, endurance and then performance.

cvjoint

Post by cvjoint » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:52 am

The power output is great in my book. We live in fabulous times where lots of production cars make good power, and yet this will still be up there with the best in power/weight. Should be fun and easy to drive at the limit given the supercharger belt drive and flat torque curve.

While the dyno tells a story, it's only a small bit of it. How power is made matters, especially for track cars, and there are a myriad of performance aspects. Components should be chosen for the intended use. For e.g., with pistons I'd use stock Honda cast slugs for anything up to 350whp. Cast pistons have more ideal expansion rates, if you don't need forged construction you shouldn't use it. Say you have enough cooling on board to run the engine in 50*C until you run out of fuel on track. That same system may cool too much on a rainy day and your forged slugs now rattle in the bore, scar the walls, and require engine rebuilding much earlier. I don't think aftermarket is better, or best for all intended uses, rather there are always tradeoffs. Honda OEM for K series tends to be the durability choice, it's designed to run 100,000+ miles. Unless the piston melts or cracks, the engine is going to last longer. Low expansion rate vs. high melting point, can't have both.

That said you may be optimizing for future power adders. I ran 4032 forged pistons na in time trials last year knowing I'll supercharge it this year. When it rained and I couldn't hold engine temp up on track I just retired the car. I would have run it with OEM cast pistons.

Garmster

Post by Garmster » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:42 am

If anyone was wondering what Ohlins TTX settings to start with for the track, I been passed the following doc which originated from Ariel:
image.png
image.png (95.64 KiB) Viewed 671 times

Herohonda

Post by Herohonda » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:47 am

Its Interesting to see the above tyre pressures and suspension settings. Compared to "normal" road going cars.

As an example on my cup2's on my M3 Michelin recomends 36psi hot. Probably due to Atom veing so light lower pressures are recommended.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:23 am

Those pressures are actually quite high - For A048s on the road I used to run 12 front, 14 rear.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

stupot

Post by stupot » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:09 pm

I believe they're for Kumhos which were popular on the R. I ran them on mine based on those levels. The side walls were softer than the Yokohamas so needed higher pressures. I rated them highly with good grip and longevity.
Atom 2 160 (05-11) / Atom 3 245 (12-19 ) / Nomad 300 (22-)

Herohonda

Post by Herohonda » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:22 pm

thats crazy how low the pressures are needed. Barely any weight in the Atoms. So much fun to be had

Garmster

Post by Garmster » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:49 pm

Ohlins TTX installed. Atom has exactly the same ride height as it had with the Bilsteins and compression and rebound has been configured for dry track settings. Look forward to Silverstone.
image.png
image.png (1.68 MiB) Viewed 616 times

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:02 pm

Garmster wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:49 pm Ohlins TTX installed. Atom has exactly the same ride height as it had with the Bilsteins and compression and rebound has been configured for dry track settings. Look forward to Silverstone.

image.png

Did you need a re-alignment if the height didn’t change?

Garmster

Post by Garmster » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:44 pm

speedmachine wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:02 pm
Garmster wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:49 pm Ohlins TTX installed. Atom has exactly the same ride height as it had with the Bilsteins and compression and rebound has been configured for dry track settings. Look forward to Silverstone.

image.png

Did you need a re-alignment if the height didn’t change?
No, GEO remains the same.

Monza

Post by Monza » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:09 pm

I confirm that the tires pressure on the document are only for Kumho V70.😉

YannickFr

Post by YannickFr » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:55 pm

image.png
Hi, i'm a french owner of an atom 3 and i've just bought brand new Ohlins from Ariel (thx to Monza).
Before i had bilstein 10 positions with track springs (70nm front/80nm rear). Incomfortable on road, but enought good on track (using my car on track 90%)

After 2 small road runs with TTX, i was more than happy: it's much more comfortable and motricity seems to be another level.
The overall handling seems to be impressive, on the bumpy roads i can drive really much quicker than before (where i had near death experience several times :D ).
I first try with 15 clicks on rebound and 20 clicks on compression (as recommended).
It was good, but a little bit soft on rebound. So i try with 7 click more, and it was better. I let 20 clicks on compression, it seems good.
Let me know what do you choose as setup!

I run on big track on septembre 10&11.

About slicks:
i use Yokohama A005.
190-580-15 on front
210-580-16 on rear (but really short on gearbox)
or
230-630-16 (and the engine seems surprisingly faster with this, as when you run 245/45/16).

2 videos on a small french track "haute saintonge" (slick 630 on rear) and on Castelloli, great spanish track (210 on rear).

kwk246

Post by kwk246 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:32 pm

Hi Yannick,
Great videos!
What chrono/data overlay application do you use?
Cheers,
Karl