Project - Track Focused Atom 3

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Garmster

Re: Project - Track Focused Atom 3

Post by Garmster » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:03 am

Forgot to mention, also added the Dynamics 1050x Injectors for better fuel flow and consistency:
image.png
image.png (192.9 KiB) Viewed 415 times

Garmster

Post by Garmster » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:37 pm

All, any advice wrt to suspension. Money being no object, the obvious response will be to spend £5400 and buy the Ohlins TTX36. Are they really worth the money. What is people's experience of the TTX vs Bilstein 10 way dampers. I defo need stiffer suspension now that I have Aero doing its job. Ariel have suggested as a cheaper (£300 ish) alternative to the Ohlins TTX, to take my rear springs 60 NM and move them to the front and to buy new 70 NM springs from Ariel and have them to replace the rears. Any other suggestions will be much appreciated. Ps: if the post title hasn't given it away, I only drive on track, don't care about road use.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:24 am

When my Atom was completely rebuilt by the factory from the frame up as a 3.5R I upgraded from the 10 way Bilsteins and for me it was like night into day - not only are the Ohlins superb but they are also blessedly quiet as, unlike the Bilsteins, there is absolutely no irritating spring clatter.

The Bilsteins I found very 'edgey' on the road the Ohlins calmed the ride down and, in my opinion, massively improved both the handling and the driving experience!

Since your Atom appears to be exclusively track biased have you fitted the fast rack or are you still using the standard rack?
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Garmster

Post by Garmster » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:29 am

autobackup wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:24 am When my Atom was completely rebuilt by the factory from the frame up as a 3.5R I upgraded from the 10 way Bilsteins and for me it was like night into day - not only are the Ohlins superb but they are also blessedly quiet as, unlike the Bilsteins, there is absolutely no irritating spring clatter.

The Bilsteins I found very 'edgey' on the road the Ohlins calmed the ride down and, in my opinion, massively improved both the handling and the driving experience!

Since your Atom appears to be exclusively track biased have you fitted the fast rack or are you still using the standard rack?
Thanks for sharing your experience with Ohlins. I have a standard rack. Do you have any more info on the fast rack i.e. rough cost and benefits? Thanks in advance.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:59 am

I’ve driven a 3 with a quick rack. It is noticeably quicker on track, for sure. Whether it is “worth” it there is subjective & thus a personal choice.

However, just one word of warning. For road use I found it seriously tiring. It is just too quick, for me. You’re constantly adjusting the steering, on any given stretch of road.

I’d say it comes down to what percentage of time you’re going to be using it there, to be honest. Any more than 30/40% road use & I’d personally find it too much.

Cheers,
Hedge

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:21 am

Garmster wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:37 pm All, any advice wrt to suspension. Money being no object, the obvious response will be to spend £5400 and buy the Ohlins TTX36. Are they really worth the money. What is people's experience of the TTX vs Bilstein 10 way dampers. I defo need stiffer suspension now that I have Aero doing its job. Ariel have suggested as a cheaper (£300 ish) alternative to the Ohlins TTX, to take my rear springs 60 NM and move them to the front and to buy new 70 NM springs from Ariel and have them to replace the rears.
I had bought 8 new Eibach springs directly in Finnetrop, Germany.
The main springs are 20mm longer and 10NM harder now. I don't remove the helper springs and I renewed them too. The main spring are now red and the helpers are black.
The bilstein damper clicks had to be readjust.
Yes the helper springs are clattering but for quick spring reaction they are needed and also for little bit comfort.
My AA feels now like an other car. :vroom:
A very cheap tuning (400€) for an much much better car.
KHAY5654.jpg
KHAY5654.jpg (730.05 KiB) Viewed 357 times
Better pic
ariel springs.jpeg
ariel springs.jpeg (285.81 KiB) Viewed 351 times
Last edited by Curves Junkie on Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ariel Atom 3 [2010] Honda 2.0 K20Z4 with JacksonRacing SC only 370PS :H: - never, ever for sale
Abarth 595 Competizione [2016] - now my daughters car
Porsche 718 Spyder [11/2019] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHb3-aNuZzQ

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:44 am

Hedge

I would 100% heartily endorse your comments about the quick rack as absolutely terrible for road use.

When I first bought my Atom it was delivered to my house in Newbury from Scotland on a car carrier and 20 minutes later I left to drive down to the factory for a pre-booked full 'going over', a full service and a new set of road grippers!

It came with 2 racks (fast & standard) with the fast rack actually fitted - it frightened me half to death on the drive down to Crewkerne because whenever I hit a bump in the road, coughed or sneezed the Atom violently twitched all over the road - so as part of the 'going over' I had the standard rack refitted which was hugely better on the drive back to Newbury!

As Hedge says the fast rack is absolutely horrible for use on the normal public roads use but I can see it's advantages for track use.

The full lock to lock of the fast rack is - on a clock face - approximately from 20 to the hour - to 20 past the hour so it's VERY fast!

As to the current cost/availability you would need to give Matt a call at Ariel spares to check?

Alternatively you could see if anyone on the forum has one for sale?
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Garmster

Post by Garmster » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:38 pm

Christmas has come early. A set of Ohlins TTX 36 are on there way as we speak. They'll be going on next week in time for Silverstone on the 27th this month. Should be fun. Alternatively, if the Ohlins don't work out, I will defo give the Eibach springs a try, so I really do appreciate that information. And I'm sure someone else will find that information of interest.
image.png
image.png (3.93 MiB) Viewed 337 times

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:49 pm

Garmster wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:38 pm Christmas has come early. A set of Ohlins TTX 36 are on there way as we speak. They'll be going on next week in time for Silverstone on the 27th this month. Should be fun. Alternatively, if the Ohlins don't work out, I will defo give the Eibach springs a try, so I really do appreciate that information. And I'm sure someone else will find that information of interest.
image.png
Awesome! Did you find a used set? If so, what did you search for? Is this an Atom set or something a like?

Garmster

Post by Garmster » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:11 pm

speedmachine wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:49 pm
Garmster wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:38 pm Christmas has come early. A set of Ohlins TTX 36 are on there way as we speak. They'll be going on next week in time for Silverstone on the 27th this month. Should be fun. Alternatively, if the Ohlins don't work out, I will defo give the Eibach springs a try, so I really do appreciate that information. And I'm sure someone else will find that information of interest.
image.png
Awesome! Did you find a used set? If so, what did you search for? Is this an Atom set or something a like?
It's a used set that I do not believe have had very much use. I never searched for them, they came to me via friends I have made on this forum. Its the Atom owner way of doing things. :)

Garmster

Post by Garmster » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:24 pm

Automatic throttle blipper on down shifting gears. I know there will be the purist out there that think its sacrilege not to use heal and toe but for those of us who are too old and can no longer bend in certain ways, get yourselves the Auto-blip device from https://www.auto-blip.com/ it works really well with the Atom. The AUTO-BLiP automatically blips (opens) the throttle when downshifting gears on the Atom. This allows the driver me to focus 100% on braking while simultaneously downshifting through the gears. Ps: I actually did break my leg a long time ago and since the injury cannot turn in my right foot, so heal and toe is impossible for me.
image.png
image.png (2.37 MiB) Viewed 327 times
Can be switched off when you're driving on the road.
If you need details on the wiring, let me know. It's not rocket science, just had to mount a foot pedal switch for the clutch.

Garmster

Post by Garmster » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:55 pm

As far as Slicks tyres are concerned, I have tried 3 brands and two tyre size combinations:

I tried a combination of 15 front 17 rear and the standard 15 front and 16 rear. I've tried Pirelli, dunlop and Avon slick tyres. I have found the following combo to give the best performance as far as slicks go using standard wheels from factory:

Avon Slicks (A53 which is a soft Compound) 190/570R15 £264 + vat
Avon Slicks (A545 which is a medium Compound) 240/600R16 £300 + vat

Don't be scared to use the Soft and medium compounds together. They are sitting independently on separate axles and work perfectly. I originally used the A53 compounds on the rear of my Atom and they were blistered by the midday second trackday.

For Atom slicks, see James on the details below:
Tel: 01373 302964
Other Tel: 07855 333182
Email: info@walthamservicesgroup.co.uk
Web: www.walthamservicesgroup.co.uk

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:28 pm

Garmster wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:11 pm
speedmachine wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:49 pm
image.png
It's a used set that I do not believe have had very much use. I never searched for them, they came to me via friends I have made on this forum. Its the Atom owner way of doing things. :)

If they dont work for you, let me know!!

Garmster

Post by Garmster » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:11 pm

If I'm to be honest, I was hoping for some more power as its just shy of 320 horses at the wheels. JRSC has nothing more to give but its more than enough power for now. Meth is currently turned off as it's not giving me any performance gains and needs more investigating.
All said, Brands Hatch test day showed me the car has more than enough grunt to pass most cars on track and lots of scope for power gain later down the line.
image.png
image.png (705.27 KiB) Viewed 298 times

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:36 pm

Huh, thats about what you get with the stock R upgrade isnt it? You have a completely build engine, how does it not have more power?