Autocar review

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Peter255

Re: Autocar review

Post by Peter255 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:14 am

markwetherall wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:27 pm I like the wing mirrors. At least I have great visibility when driving and they don't look as bad as you say.
I'll just leave this here. The mirrors are in line in the picture. The size difference is that much! :o
Peter255 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:58 am Here are the mirrors for comparison. And that's not perspective! Stock one above aligned with the lower optional one.Image
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:22 am

Wow!!!!

DMZ

Post by DMZ » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:25 am

I note that the American manufacturer/distributor creates specific models at least for the Nomad, which was initially something I thought would make sense as traversing the Ariel options lists can be a bit of challenge if you're not in the business of let's say manufacturing cars. Everything has about three options and half the stuff are things I don't even know what they do. But... the whole point of an Ariel product is surely that you can make it into whatever you want and we wouldn't really have anything to talk about if it were that simple? And the whole the spec is a living thing that you can continuously improve is very cool as well. Within reason I'm not particularly stressed about the initial spec, much can be changed later.

Re journalists, pretty much everything they test is a high end launch version and they rarely mention the kit that has been fitted that makes it sing or how much it costs. Even on something as fairly humdrum as a Porsche, you're talking £20k+ in options on most cars for a lot of fairly basic stuff. On an Atom it's something like £10-20k without going crazy.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:20 pm

phil4 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:22 amWow!!!!
Agreed. I was shocked too. Thats why i took and shared the photo. The stock ones are massive and very cheap looking plastic. In comparison the optional ones look much smarter in machined anodized alloy.

Plus the smaller optional ones are larger than those on my old 2 and commonly seen on 3's. I have never had issues with the small mirrors in the past so no need to go up in size so much. I honestly think the stock 4 mirrors are 10 times larger than those i had before on my 2.

From memory the stock mirror size is due to another EU regulation. So an understandable selection from Ariel for type approval reasons.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:14 pm

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:29 pm

More misleading journalism from EVO. No mention the price as tested was over £60k. :doh:

Featuring:
Sports Exhaust, Traction Control, Boost Controller, AP Racing 4 Pot Front & Rear, Handbrake System (assumed), Bilstein MDS, Carbon Wheels, Aluminium Wing Mirror Set, Aero Screen, High-Level Brake Light, Rear Tail Tidy, IVA Test, & Road Tax + Registration

And thats before paint and other stuff I can't see in the pictures. That might well be a £65k car. :o

And i'm sorry but with the boost turned down to 260 BHP a 4 is not going to be "about as fast" as the older charged cars. With 10% more weight and 15% less power its not going to be is it? ::)

phil4

Autocar review

Post by phil4 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:44 pm

I’d have mistakenly got the impression traction control was standard.

And yes, I’m not sure I buy the dialled down is as fast as the old supercharged. Wasn’t it described as “your gran could drive it”? I’m pretty sure that doesn’t describe the old supercharged cars.

Finally... isn’t the locking fuel cap the same as the old car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:08 am

... the diapers down is as fast ... ?!

Autocorrection struck again?
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

phil4

Post by phil4 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:39 am

John Scherrer wrote:.. the diapers down .. ?!

Autocorrection struck again?
Lol, yes, and hopelessly beyond guessing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:58 am

The Evo write up was from last year. At the time no price list or spec was available. They have just re published it on there website