Atom 4 on Fifth Gear

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Peter255

Re: Atom 4 on Fifth Gear

Post by Peter255 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:43 am

If you compare the fully optioned up 3.5R with sequential etc etc it a lot more focused than the current 4's.

Maybe thats why he preferred it. In the past he also did track tests where the Atom comes alive.

A 4-320 with lower spec on a motorway isn't going to shine like a top spec 3.5R on track! A ridiculous comparison tbh.

Shame they didn't give the new car the time to shine in the right conditions. :(

Still at least it will help control the waiting list! ;)
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:05 pm

What a rubbish review. Of course you feel exposed on the road, however that is part of the car. I wished he had spent a bit more time on the track and less on the road. A few interesting snippets like Epic on track and the handling of the car but would have been much better if they did another test against something like the BAC mono or Caterham 620R. Real shame how he did that review.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:24 pm

I've just watched it and thought it was quite balanced.

The Atom's strength isn't driving on motorways, nor in the cold or wet, but it will, and as he said (and as I have) many owners drive it to and from the track, and it's worth a view therefore on what it's like doing that.

His view of it on a "track", was very positive, likewise the mention of boost control and traction control, and his overall view of the car as being very good.

In all I take far more seriously a review that actually highlights any downsides/issues, rather than just being a paid piece of advertising that just spouts superlatives as the manufacturer likes (there's enough of that on youtube).

I'm not saying anyone is wrong, the above is my point of view, not what's right.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:08 pm

Can I see this on youtube or such too?

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:16 pm

speedmachine wrote:Can I see this on youtube or such too?

https://www.dplay.co.uk/show/fifth-gear ... HD_258240C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:13 am

It's a fair review, he does say from the outset he's knows it's great on the track but he's taking Ariel to task with their claim it can handle traffic equally well in this review. And he doesn't really knock the car in the summary, again he says its a great car but he'd have a trailer to take it to track rather than drive it there, which is understandable.

You forget we as atom owners all have atom-tinted glasses on and sometimes don't see things impartially. The atom was great when it came out as it was fairly revolutionary but 20 years on the evolution to the next model maybe isn't evolutionary enough, and there's a lot of non-ariel cars that are maybe more refined in certain areas and less so in others. I can completely understand the noise getting annoying, it's OK on the track when your fixated on looking ahead but a few hours of casual driving and even on a normal road car it would start bugging you.

On a sidenote it's starting to irritate me the blurb about just the pedals and fuel cap being carried over from the old car. I haven't seen one in person yet and tbh and not paid much attention to any other videos except this one but straight from the outset I can see plenty of other parts carried over. The Tilton bias adjuster, the rotary headlight switch (the print on it has changed buts that's purely because the original print isn't available from duratec anymore but the switch is the same), the hella headlamp assemblies (indicators are different), the spa steering wheel, the passenger footrest, the seat belts. Granted all small and petty stuff but if you're going to use the fuel cap as a reference then they're all fair game. I'm sure there will be other parts too that have been carried over.
My website: Skunkwurx - Create an account and PM me for forum member pricing
Ariel Atom Parts and UpgradesRace Technology Dash2

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:38 am

hamtt wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:13 am On a sidenote it's starting to irritate me the blurb about just the pedals and fuel cap being carried over from the old car.... I'm sure there will be other parts too that have been carried over.
That's just lazy journalism, they're taking the press release from Ariel and quoting it or very slightly altering it, rather than actually investigating/checking. If you read a few reviews where they all start like this, you'll find they differ on what they say was carried over.

As I say, not Ariel's fault, just lazy journalists.

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:04 pm

hammt wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:38 am pedals and fuel cap being carried over from the old car
I always took this as just a sound bite from Ariel as a way to emphasise its a NEW car to the wider world. It's a little hook that journos like.
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

dunny

Post by dunny » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:45 pm

Still out in mine!
No soft-sorn up north!😁

VickersUK

Post by VickersUK » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:43 pm

If your going to drive it slow enough on a motorway to be overtaken by a lorry then I’d agree your probably going to have a sh1t time and feel more vulnerable.

I’m all for a non bias review but as others have said, it’s just not in a way for the car to shine. Might as well do a review on how a smart car goes on an off-road track (I exaggerate to make the point...)

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:17 pm

Plato's 5th Gear Atom 4 road test - now available to watch on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EayV0sKzWOU
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

A7DUO

Post by A7DUO » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:54 am

I'll check it out, thanks. The footage I've seen of A4 so far reminds me of the road-going Formula Ford Ecoboost (remember that a few years ago).... I was really up-for buying one of those if it ever went into production, but it didn't. Atom4 is the closest thing I've seen and heard to that and it does appeal. That said, I'm a fan of the supercharger in the Nomad for now (that reminds me of my old Mini GP from a few years ago, that was good fun, for a modern mini). I look forward to catching the 5th Gear clip later, thanks for the pointer

cvjoint

Post by cvjoint » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:20 am

Saw the review. I have a track only Atom, and I do trailer it. So this should all ring true for me right?

Not so sure. A good test of whether this review is any good is whether it can distinguish the Atom 4 from the Atom 3 or other superlights. I think it fails miserably. Open cockpit superlights would all get the same on road review, so it lacks substance. More importantly it misses the point altogether. Why not review a speed bike and argue why it's not as safe as a 9 airbag 3,000kg SUV? It would make just as much sense. The reality is that speed bikes and Atoms make you feel like you are grabbing the devil by its tits, and that's the charm. The review covers zero of what makes the Atom shine even on the road, it is precisely the exposure to the elements!

I would however option one with a windshield for the road because wearing helmets around town is more confining. We get two big bonuses over a speed bike, we don't have to wear a helmet (with windshield) and we can drift and ride on the edge and just past it.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:59 pm

cvjoint wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:20 am I would, however, option one with a windshield for the road because wearing helmets around town is more confining.
I presume you're in the US (windshield not windscreen)

Around town (in London) the speed limit should be between 20-30 mph, and you don't need a windscreen or a helmet for that velocity - even up to 40, the aero screens and a pair of shades suffice.

Having said that, a lid can be a good idea in town, because you're very exposed in terms of identity. With a lid on - especially with a tinted visor, people can imagine you have the looks of a racing god without their being disappointed!

Also, you can stare back at people when they're staring at you without them knowing that you would have found it embarrassing being stared at.

...and you WILL be stared at.

You can always store the lid in the passenger area, or strap it to the scaffolding - you can't do that with a windshield