Unusual Clutch Slip

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Nick C

Unusual Clutch Slip

Post by Nick C » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:18 am

Hi all,

I just had a brand new OEM Honda standard clutch put in...
I did a few gentle laps to "bed it in" and all was fine...
But then I took out a passenger, who weighed about 120kgs + my 90kgs, and after 1 lap, above 5000rpm, the clutch started to slip...

So, back to the pits. Contacted the mechanic that fitted it and he said it this was normal... sometimes they need to bed in.
I let it all cool down and went out again, by myself. This time no slip.. did about 10laps. Let it cool down again and then took out another (lighter) passenger and all seems fine now.

Ok, so I have not experienced need this before, even in my racing days...

The clutch was on advice from Ariel themselves, as they said, it's what they fit..

So my questions are..
Is a OEM or Blueprint standard clutch upto the job of trackdays in my 320hp S/C?
Has anyone else experienced this before ?
Or should i be concerned and expect an engine out job again and clutch refit for an uprated one?
And If so, what clutch would ylunall recommend for track days ?

Thanks
Nick

phil4

Re: Unusual Clutch Slip

Post by phil4 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:28 am

Only personal, and I’m a cautious sort, but I’d be running a new clutch in, not taking it on a track day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reg

Post by reg » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:28 pm

It’s in now so I’d wait and see. Usual advice for running in is not to overheat it early on, if it’s not a new flywheel it’ll not need much. I wouldn’t worry too much. Standard clutch seems durable enough for the sc car. I’ve never run a clutch in personally, just drive it normally for 100 miles or so. If it slips repeatedly then there’s something up.

Nick C

Post by Nick C » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:47 am

Thanks...
I took it out yesterday for a longish drive and all seems fine.
I will know for sure on the next trackday.

Still curious as to the best clutch people use for trackdays ?