Atom 4 - Build and Collection

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
woodsypedia

Re: Atom 4 - Build and Collection

Post by woodsypedia » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:25 am

Like a few others - I haven't had a front plate on my Atom or Aston for around 7 years.

I've got two mates in traffic at Surrey Police who both say - messing with the spacing / letters is classed as evasion (with intent) so carries a £100 and 3 points penalty. NOT having a plate at all is avoidance - and can only be dealt with by a fine (£100) and no points. If they're feeling prickly - you can be given a producer - but this is very rare - and generally only if you fail the attitude test :D

wasp

Post by wasp » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:41 am

robfitz wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:40 am Has anyone specced the lightweight flywheel on their 4?

I have a very light clockwise motion flywheel on the k20 in my Elise and one of the things I will miss about that engine - as well as the noise as it closes in on 8800 - is the way it gains and loses revs so crisply. Anything that closes that gap has to be worthwhile in theory but I wonder whether it is actually worthwhile on a turbo engine?
Yes, few of us have got it on our 4's. I think for track use it really helps the engine spool up but wouldn't imagine it was vaguely worthwhile for road use. It's hard to say how much better it is than the standard car as all 4's have incredible torque. So, nice to have but absolutely not as important as better brakes/suspension.

Cheers,
Stu

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:28 am

Thanks Stu

I intend to go for the Ohlins / AP on mine anyway but has the flywheel pretty near the top of my spec list. Also not an easy retrofit later.
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

wasp

Post by wasp » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:04 am

robfitz wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:28 am Thanks Stu

I intend to go for the Ohlins / AP on mine anyway but has the flywheel pretty near the top of my spec list. Also not an easy retrofit later.
Good shout, the Ohlins are just sublime.

Cheers,
Stu

SvenTheHammer

Post by SvenTheHammer » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:22 pm

I missed the first batch of wings. Ariel contacted me the other day, and they’ve got a set of wings for my 4😁. Off to Crewkerne to have them fitted on Saturday morning. With them on, mine has every option I want.

cannon24889

Post by cannon24889 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:31 pm

Have any 4s been registered in Europe yet does anyone know of

Tompy

Post by Tompy » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:40 pm

cannon24889 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:31 pm Have any 4s been registered in Europe yet does anyone know of
Mine is registrated in belgium

cannon24889

Post by cannon24889 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:12 pm

Did you have any issues, im hearing 20 plates are quite difficult to register because of the emissions? Im struggling to find the detail

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:06 pm

So.....

finally I have got there.... my build slot is in and im about to send in the following so give me your views please:
350bhp - because who doesn't want a faster car
Slip diff / baffled sump - essential
AP front and rear standard i.e. 1 piece not up for debate
stainless fixings both brake lines and fixings
remote bias adjustment
Ohlins - everyone tells me these are amazing on the road and i will be doing 4-6ish track days a year so not up for debate
quick release wheel - went back and forward on this one but decided i want it to feel like a race car, only reason :)
Standard wheels and tyres but black powder coat
aluminium wing mirrors - i think the big ones are ugly
aero screen
locking fuel cap
usb socket
footrests
battery optimiser - i can get one for £60 but why skimp on £30 when im spending £60k
Carbon fibre everything excluding wings - im so torn on this one but it looks amazing and the tightness in me thinks i will change my mind and its nearly twice as expensive to buy seperately. £3.5k is hard to part with so not definte here
Gunmetal grey chassis as like the offset agaisnt the black
IVA/Tax

So that leaves what i cant afford:
Towing eyes, i wont be going on track straight away, are these just screw in at a later date or do i need to order them? £240 for front and rear feels expensive, can i add these myself?

Traction control - love the idea of safety, think this goes against the ideal of Atom, love the launch control, think id rather have the raw car and the carbon goodies - thoughts?

Willans seat belts, just cant get my head around the £600+ will look to source some separelty

Titanium bolt set, is this on top of the other bolt costs or instead of and going on the fact i want the car quite black, would this be better?

Fianlly ZZS / ZZR is it worth paying extra to start seeing as it will 90% road?

Please give me your words of wisdom!

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:20 pm

Buy the 3" seatbelts direct from Willans - MUCH cheaper!!

They also offer them in a range of colours and fastening options - which seeing that you appear to have an all black car contrasting colour seatbelts might look pretty dramatic as the only splash of colour on your Atom?
Last edited by autobackup on Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:21 pm

Are the wings 2x the price retrofit? Are you sure? Why is that, do they need something difficult what cant be done retrofit?

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:22 pm

Sorry the standard carbon is much more expensive excluding the wings... wings are same price I believe but as an example the light covers or mudguards are much more expensive!

Does that make sense?

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:46 pm

Luckky wrote:So.....

finally I have got there.... my build slot is in and im about to send in the following so give me your views please:
350bhp - because who doesn't want a faster car
Slip diff / baffled sump - essential
AP front and rear standard i.e. 1 piece not up for debate
stainless fixings both brake lines and fixings
remote bias adjustment
Ohlins - everyone tells me these are amazing on the road and i will be doing 4-6ish track days a year so not up for debate
quick release wheel - went back and forward on this one but decided i want it to feel like a race car, only reason :)
Standard wheels and tyres but black powder coat
aluminium wing mirrors - i think the big ones are ugly
aero screen
locking fuel cap
usb socket
footrests
battery optimiser - i can get one for £60 but why skimp on £30 when im spending £60k
Carbon fibre everything excluding wings - im so torn on this one but it looks amazing and the tightness in me thinks i will change my mind and its nearly twice as expensive to buy seperately. £3.5k is hard to part with so not definte here
Gunmetal grey chassis as like the offset agaisnt the black
IVA/Tax

So that leaves what i cant afford:
Towing eyes, i wont be going on track straight away, are these just screw in at a later date or do i need to order them? £240 for front and rear feels expensive, can i add these myself?

Traction control - love the idea of safety, think this goes against the ideal of Atom, love the launch control, think id rather have the raw car and the carbon goodies - thoughts?

Willans seat belts, just cant get my head around the £600+ will look to source some separelty

Titanium bolt set, is this on top of the other bolt costs or instead of and going on the fact i want the car quite black, would this be better?

Fianlly ZZS / ZZR is it worth paying extra to start seeing as it will 90% road?

Please give me your words of wisdom!
Whats £2k when ur spending £60k Image....im opting for it for piece of mind, something to play with and another blank space on dash filledImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:50 pm

How about the battery cut-off switch? This has the benefit of added protection if you're leaving the car anywhere - IIRC from the video [mention]simonrhart[/mention] made, you can turn on the dash and lights without the key which might be a pain if you're leaving it about and someone messes with it.

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:53 pm

I hear that, there’s pros and cons in my head, the argument for me is that I don’t think I’ll leave the car that often, there is a risk that someone takes your battery cut off switch with them and then you are totally stuck etc and I’ll be honest.... I’m way above my budget.

(Please don’t let the wife read this)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk