Atom 4 - Build and Collection

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Tompy

Re: Atom 4 - Build and Collection

Post by Tompy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:31 pm

Luckky wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:22 pm Very nice and very stealthy looking machine there, did you go for the 350?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!
Yes 350
Also aerokit, but that will be ready beginning of the year

Anon

Re: Atom 4

Post by Anon » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:44 pm

Badders wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:00 am Thought I'd post a quick note as I've now had my car since Monday and have had the chance to do a couple of hundred miles. It's my first Atom, and it's been on order for a little over two years.

First, the build. Fit and finish is exceptional. I have an Ace, which I've always considered to be something of a work of art, and the car is no exception. The mouldings, switchgear, panels and absolutely everything is so precise and well manufactured. And the welding. I could stare at it all day.

It's surprisingly comfortable. The seats are great and very well shaped. I may need some self adhesive foam pads (can anyone recommend?) as I have a bad back, but it's not the cars fault. It's not that windy either, which surprised me. The little perspex screen is very effective.

The dash is great and clear, although I'd like a more prominent rev counter. It isn't very clear at a glance as RPM is indicated as decimal numbers and a tiny dial (for example 4,200rpm is shown as 4.2). It may be possible to change it, but there are no manuals for the car yet, and I haven't found a method while I've been playing with the dash. My car is a 350, and I have the variable boost controller. The three stages are as follows: rapid, OMFG, and time warp. Or 290, 320 and 350bhp.

The engine. Oh my sh*t. The engine is fantastic. So, so tractable and smooth. No noticeable lag to speak of in any gear, at any RPM. The throttle is so progressive, and lower in the rev range, it is very docile and smooth in town traffic. Further up the range, once on boost, it's a case of feeding it gears as fast as you can. Relentless. I've spent many years on 1000cc superbikes. This car matches the majority of the performance specs on paper. On the road it's so much quicker because you can use it without fear of falling off the back, or punching a motorbike shaped hole in the hedgerows.

The brakes are tremendous. I have the AP big brake kit. I was a bit concerned as they were poor to begin with, and lacked feel. I shouldn't have worried. Now they're scrubbed in, they are fantastic. Lots of feel, and very, very effective.

Noise. This is one thing I will never tire of. The whooshes, chatter, and whine of the turbo is incredible. It sits about 10 inches behind your left ear, but sounds like it's in your ear canal. Wear ear plugs. Seriously. The exhaust note is great (sports exhaust on my car), and sounds excellent for a 4 cylinder engine. It's not that loud from the drivers seat, but my family have informed me it is very loud from outside. May be a problem at track days. I'll find out soon.

The keyless ignition is great, and very convenient. It can be disabled with an additional fob if desired for track days etc.

Rear visibility is great through the mirrors and utterly hopeless for reversing. I gather that's something you have to get used to if you have an Atom.

I had a bit of a hoo-ha with Tracker trying to get my unit subscribed. It's a battery powered Retrieve unit. Fit and forget. It doesn't need ignition to move the car, and will only be activated when a call is made to the centre if the car goes missing. Subscription is reasonably priced. They're aware now, and it won't be an issue going forward.

I think that's it. Happy to answer any questions anyone has, but probably not until a bit later. I'm going out in the car. :vroom:
Did you find out if the sports exhaust is too loud for the track. Tom told me it would be, but but does sound nice for sure.

Badders

Re: Atom 4

Post by Badders » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:07 pm

simonrhart wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:44 pm Did you find out if the sports exhaust is too loud for the track. Tom told me it would be, but but does sound nice for sure.
No, I haven't yet. Any plans I had to get it tested didn't happen unfortunately. It my be the spring now before I can get to a track.

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Peter255 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:58 am Put it this way.

Get traction control and boost control AFTER the following:
  • First get big brakes front and rear (similar price)
  • Second get adjustable suspension (£500 more minimum)
  • Third get the 350 pack minus the sports exhaust (similar price).
If you have all three above and still have cash to spend i'd suggest looking into the other suspension options (MDS and Ohlins) or traction and boost control.

The any / all of the 3 above will make a massive difference for ALL drivers and increase your resale value more than something an experienced driver will just turn off. I wouldn't pay a single penny for boost control. Traction control i might have specced if it was cheaper. Traction will add some value for some people, but not all.
Well said. I spent my money on Ohlins because I want the ability to adjust the shocks, plus they are like night and day difference.

SvenTheHammer

Post by SvenTheHammer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:55 pm

Bit of a late Christmas present to myself. Been told mid to late February or early March for my 4. Really missed my 3.5 since selling her.

MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:25 pm

Mine’s a year away so I bought the makes your whites browner T shirt to keep me going.

Anon

Post by Anon » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:44 pm

SvenTheHammer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:55 pm Bit of a late Christmas present to myself. Been told mid to late February or early March for my 4. Really missed my 3.5 since selling her.
Congrats! what is your spec?

SvenTheHammer

Post by SvenTheHammer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:45 pm

MingtheMerciless wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:25 pm Mine’s a year away so I bought the makes your whites browner T shirt to keep me going.

I ordered one of each today too👍

SvenTheHammer

Post by SvenTheHammer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:20 pm

MingtheMerciless wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:25 pm Mine’s a year away so I bought the makes your whites browner T shirt to keep me going.

350 upgrade
Titanium chassis
Traction and launch control
3 stage boost control
Baffled oil sump
Limited slip diff
Ohlins TTX dampers
High performance sports core radiator
AP Racing 4 pot callipers front and rear
Cockpit adjustable remote brake bias
Battery master cut off switch
Quick release steering wheel
Stainless steel fixings
Machined aluminium wing mirrors
Aero screen
High level brake light
Locking fuel cap
Reversing camera system
Passenger + clutch footrest
Carbon instrument panel
Carbon headlight covers
Carbon rear fog/reverse/tail tidy
Road legal wheel and track day package
Stainless steel fittings on brake and clutch lines

That’s about it😁

SvenTheHammer

Post by SvenTheHammer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:21 pm

Oops, I was supposed to reply to Simon’s question.🤣🤣🤣

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:48 pm

Bleedin Nora Sven! Congrats! That's fully loaded! :o :tu: 8)

Might be worth adding the handbrake tho. Will be pricey to add later and its not in the way anymore. ;)
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

SvenTheHammer

Post by SvenTheHammer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:53 pm

Sorry I forgot to put that on. I have that with the AP’s.

Anon

Post by Anon » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:53 pm

Very nice spec similar to mine except I don't have any driver aids but I have a black regular chassis. TTX Ohlins should be mandatory! 8)

The handbrake is now included when you spec the AP racing brakes on the 2019 spec sheet.

SvenTheHammer

Post by SvenTheHammer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:59 pm

The only thing I’m not sure is what colour bonnet/air intake to have.

Anon

Post by Anon » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:02 pm

SvenTheHammer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:59 pm The only thing I’m not sure is what colour bonnet/air intake to have.
I went for carbon.