Atom 4 - Build and Collection

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Anon

Re: Atom 4 - Build and Collection

Post by Anon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:12 pm

markwetherall wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:48 pm I went for both traction and also boost. The reason is when driving in the rain which I have had to do a few times it is nice to turn the power down, it makes it much less twitchy in rubbish conditions. Reason I went for traction is I am not a great driver and wanted a safety net. It has already saved me a couple of times on road and track.
Did you not consider a different car like an M car, the BMW M2 CS could be a great alternative because it has all the computer aids to save the driver. The whole point of the Atom, at least to me is to remove all driver aids, luxuries etc and to put the driver first. If you add computer software in the mix then it just removes the fun of such a car. It's the same with the Ultima, Caterham and Radicals. None of them have driver aids and that is why they are awesome.

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:42 pm

Did you not consider a different car like an M car, the BMW M2 CS could be a great alternative because it has all the computer aids to save the driver. The whole point of the Atom, at least to me is to remove all driver aids, luxuries etc and to put the driver first. If you add computer software in the mix then it just removes the fun of such a car. It's the same with the Ultima, Caterham and Radicals. None of them have driver aids and that is why they are awesome.
You must be joking. I traded my Atom 3 in for a Nissan GTR and after 1 year I put money down for a new Atom 4. Nothing is as much fun as an Atom and its only when you don't have one do you realise just how much fun they are. The added benefits of the electronics are great when you are driving from 1 place to another but the nice thing is your have full control over them and you can turn them off so once again a proper analogue car. Electronics are brilliant if used correctly and in the Atom they are used correctly, 7 stage traction is superb. When raining you have maximum on when on track and in the dry you reduce it to about level 4 or less. I would also say after driving all 3 of the other cars none of them are any where near as much fun as the Atom, the Ultima being awful

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:33 pm

Not joking at all. The M2 is a brilliant car. The point I was trying to make is adding driver aids to an Atom or any car like it is akin to sun bathing fully clothed and if you need driver aids on such a car maybe there are better alternatives. I have never heard anyone say an Ultima is awful!

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:01 pm

simonrhart wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:33 pm ...The point I was trying to make is adding driver aids to an Atom or any car like it is akin to sun bathing fully clothed and if you need driver aids on such a car maybe there are better alternatives....
+1 tbf.

The more electronic assistance you get the less point in getting an Atom IMO. The Atom is all about the driver, not the programmers skill. If you work the car hard you are working hard, and if you do it right you are rewarded with an exhilarating (pure) driving experience. You can feel the chassis and tyres responding to your inputs. If the ECU does stuff for you its less of a challenge and less fun. :(
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Corky

Post by Corky » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:18 pm

But you can turn them all off.

All he is doing is wasting his own money if he doesn’t use them.

The Atom will still be analogue
Atom 4
Porsche 992 GTS

kelvin12382003

Post by kelvin12382003 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:34 pm

Corky wrote:But you can turn them all off.

All he is doing is wasting his own money if he doesn’t use them.

The Atom will still be analogue

AGREED

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelbug63

Post by travelbug63 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:50 pm

Pretty strong views re the Traction and Boost control. I'm obviously in the minority but I too have ordered both, however in hindsight I'm wondering whether if I've got traction control do I actually need the variable boost, I could save a bit of money leaving that off.
Atom 4, Jaguar I Pace, Honda cr-v (dog carrier), Mini JCW (wife's)

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:57 pm

Isn't it better to have and not need it, than need it and not have it?

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:31 pm

@travelbug, it’s a personal thing like all options. If you want the pure thrill of no driver aides which is where Ariel started, go for the power and breaking and reduce these aides.

If you are new to driving fast or might be driving all weather both options will undoubtedly help.

If you are tracking the car, having at least traction control allows you to progressively take more control as you reduce the level of traction.

There’s simply no right or wrong regardless how strong opinions are.

I personally don’t need the variable boost but might look to add traction control if I can afford it as I’m not that experienced control to some who are on their 3rd/4th Ariel vehicle.

Hope that helps.... lastly, it’s an Atom so you simply can’t go wrong with any option

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:31 pm

travelbug63 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:50 pm Pretty strong views re the Traction and Boost control. I'm obviously in the minority but I too have ordered both, however in hindsight I'm wondering whether if I've got traction control do I actually need the variable boost, I could save a bit of money leaving that off.
There is no need to have both IMO. Just turn the traction control up to max if your worried. If its raining / damp / cold / un-even road surface just take it easy. These cars demand respect BUT they aren't wild animals. Just accept you cannot get your toe right down unless conditions are good. There is plenty of grip on smooth tarmac on a warm sunny day.
Karl V wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:57 pm Isn't it better to have and not need it, than need it and not have it?
Of course. But most people have a price limit. Paying nearly £600 for something you DONT use might annoy you, especially if you could have used that money to fund another option you want, and would use. In my mind the £2.5K for traction and boost control is best spent on other options.

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:24 pm

I can understand the need for a traction and boost set of controls on this type of car - especially on cut slicks in the wet!

Though I'm in no driver aid camp, I'd be tempted by the traction control, which, if it cuts power rather than just limits revs, should cover boost control.

Traction control, if it cuts power in a nice way, would have been useful when I was on track after a rain shower. This would have minimised the car trying swap ends on cut slicks! Also means I could of gotten away without having to swap to wets until the track dried properly.

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:52 am

Simple solution is to make sure that when u bin it due to loss of traction is to make sure the damage caused is less than £2k

I will just go for boost control as it allows u to lower power if you are willing to let your friends have a shot...and when it rains

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:58 am

Put it this way.

Get traction control and boost control AFTER the following:
  • First get big brakes front and rear (similar price)
  • Second get adjustable suspension (£500 more minimum)
  • Third get the 350 pack minus the sports exhaust (similar price).
If you have all three above and still have cash to spend i'd suggest looking into the other suspension options (MDS and Ohlins) or traction and boost control.

The any / all of the 3 above will make a massive difference for ALL drivers and increase your resale value more than something an experienced driver will just turn off. I wouldn't pay a single penny for boost control. Traction control i might have specced if it was cheaper. Traction will add some value for some people, but not all.

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:41 am

What I will say about the boost control and what I do like. When just pottering around in town or on the motorway I leave it on the lower boost. There is much less induction noise when on the lower boost, then when you turn it up to max it is a different car again. I like that as it feels like 2 cars in one, so I suppose it is down to budget but for me it has been worth the money. I took the car out yesterday for a drive in very slippery conditions so having all the traction on and boost down to its lowest level made the drive a lot less scary and very enjoyable. For me I just enjoy driving the car and don't need to go flat out to enjoy it so turning the power down is good.

It is down to what you want to use the car for and also your budget. I didn't have a set budget so I went for what I wanted and went with Tom's and Henry's advice on spec. The electronics for me were a definite tick in the box due to how I use the car and have not regretted either of them. Driving through the Wye Valley in pouring rain and having boost to minimum and traction on Max gave me a lot of confidence in the car to push on.

DMZ

Post by DMZ » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:07 pm

Looking at myself as an example, the Atom 4 is broadening the appeal of the Atom by being easier to drive and part of that would be the electronics. I could no doubt buy an M2 Competition (and it's a very good car) but clearly the Atom is something else entirely. I wouldn't make any assumptions about resale etc re the electronics as there will be plenty of people who will value a configurable safety net for on-road use. And the thing is that any Ariel product is so completely configurable that it's really the ultimate when it comes to personal preference so get whatever you want really and the next owner can also change a lot of things so it doesn't really end there.