Atom 4 - Build and Collection

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Alec

Re: Atom 4 - Build and Collection

Post by Alec » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:21 pm

atomiser wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:38 am Haha! I actually lusted after one of those in 1989 but got a fiat turbo ie what instead because it was unbelievably cheap and relatively fast.
Mine came out of the factory in Genk, Belgium, in May 1986, the first month they produced that model, and February 1987 production changed over to the MkII Sierra, so it was only in production for 9 months.

I bought it from the local Ford Dealer, who had it still sitting on display, so I got a very good deal on it, driving it out just after midnight on 1st August 1987, hence it being on an "E" plate.

I used to love sitting at the lights with XR3i & XR2 owners, who were invariably revving their engines, then just leaving them behind when the lights changed, especially if there was the slightest bit of damp on the road, when they'd be spinning their wheels in frustration as I disappeared in the distance.

It's a great Wolf in Sheep's Clothing.

Unfortunately, it's now SORN'd needing some work done on it, but I won't be parting with it, just as I won't be parting with my Atom.

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:41 pm

Preseh wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:41 pm For toying around with colour schemes, I've been using a free bit of software called Paint.NET and there are a bunch of tutorials online showing how to change the colours of things. Here's my marmite colour scheme (Thanks @simonrhart for being the model ;)):

I like that - have been doing similar and toying with Porsche rubystone and bianchi Celeste turquoise
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:46 pm

That's not Marmite. It's Ribena.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Anon

Re: Atom 4

Post by Anon » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:17 pm

HenryJS wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:25 am
Peter255 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:37 am Ariel are restricting what you can have now just so they can offer more later to get even more money from us.
This isnt true...

We simply don't have a 375 / 380 / 400 whateveritwillbe map yet. we dont even know if that power is achievable reliably (Ariel reliably, not yeah mate, we can get 410 for you no problem... At the local remap shop!)

When we develop it, it will go on the pricelist, and be available for upgrade. Pricing will be determined by how much needs to be changed from the standard car... if its an engine out job, it will be a little more expensive, sorry! :'(
[mention]HenryJS[/mention] I just had my 4 on a rolling dyno, after the guys were able to get sufficient grip (had to clean the melted rubber off from a previous track day :roflp:) the results were 365.6 bhp and 427Nm torque. This was on the Ariel 350 map, and honestly, I don't think I need more power and I did always think it felt more than the advertised 350bhp. The car now needs to be dialled for the track, more power will not make me go faster.

Very happy customer :)
20200917_170741.jpg
20200917_170741.jpg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 547 times

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:22 pm

That is 315 in lbft rather than NM.

Also what is the redline, I thought it cut at 7 but that looks like it goes a little higher?
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

Anon

Post by Anon » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:06 pm

Red lights flash at 7200, then limiter hits and it stops pulling. Best to change around 6600rpm.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:33 pm

Slightly off topic but can anyone who has an Atom 4 with the full factory aero fitted tell me the measured distance between the rear wing vertical end plates?

Top rear left tip to the top rear right tip!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:54 pm

autobackup wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:33 pmSlightly off topic but can anyone who has an Atom 4 with the full factory aero fitted tell me the measured distance between the rear wing vertical end plates? Top rear left tip to the top rear right tip!
I'll have a butchers for yous tommoz & report back.

Cheers,
Hedge

Karl V

Re: Atom 4

Post by Karl V » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:03 pm

simonrhart wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:17 pm the results were 365.6 bhp and 427Nm torque. This was on the Ariel 350 map.
I trust you'll be declaring this to your insurers?

:roflp:

dooke2000

Post by dooke2000 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:21 pm

Sommi wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:48 pm Hi All
I have been following everything Atom on this forum for the last two years and waiting to spec my own.
I have been here as Som previously but I think my ID got muddled up and there is no way to re-register it.

Anyway, I would value the input of one and all Atomaniacs on the spec I have chosen.
Please bear in mind this is my first fast car and I have no experience with Caterham or similar either.
Fastest I have had is Maserati QP DS and I have rarely been on a track day.

Here is my spec which I have literally put all options available. I would like to take off a few and can't decide what's less important or can be added later for not much outlay cost wise. I am due in next week to experience the Atom at the factory and take their advise butmost what you see below has been suggested by Tom @ Ariel. Please advise. Many thanks.

Atom 4 320bhp 6 Speed
350 BHP upgrade - Decat pipe + ECU reflash
Limited Slip Differential
Sports Exhaust Silencer (instead of standard)
Polishing of Complete Exhaust System
Adjustable Traction Control inc Launch Control
3 Stage Variable Turbo Boost Controller
Baffled Engine Oil Sump
High Performance Sports Core Engine Coolant Radiator
AP Racing 4 Pot Caliper/290mm Discs (inc handbrake) Front and Rear
Stainless Steel Fittings on Brake and Clutch Lines
Cockpit Adjustable Remote Brake Bias
Bilstein MDS 2 way Adjustable Dampers with 2 piece springs - Road/Track
Quick Release Steering Wheel
Side Panels
Fire Extinguisher (Stand Alone) - Road/Track Day Use
Road Legal Wheel and Track Day Tyre Package
Stainless Steel Fixings
Machined Aluminium Wing Mirror Set
Aero Screen
High-Level Brake Light
Locking Fuel Cap
12v. Auxiliary feed with USB socket
Reversing Camera System
Passenger + clutch footrest (Passenger footrest only on Left Hand Drive)
Towing Eye Kit Front (road use)
Battery Optimiser/Trickle Charger
Carbon Fibre Aerofoil Front and Mounts
Carbon Fibre Aerofoil Rear and Mounts
Carbon Fibre Instrument Panel
Black Colour Wheels
Silver/Gunmetal/Gloss Black/Titanium Powder Coat Chassis
IVA Test
Road Tax + Registration
3" Seat Belts/Harnesses With Alloy Chest Adjusters (each side)
3" Seat Belt/Harness Pads
V Type Crutch Strap for 3" Seat Belts/Harnesses (each side)

All this is coming to a mind numbing £ 68k+!!!
Nice spec!

I have just sent my order (options list off to Ariel after a long deliberation), my car is being built now, started 10 days ago.

Mine is very close to your spec.

I have not gone for the traction control, as I decided this is not the nature of the beast, saying that, it only has to save you once and it has paid for itself. I will rely on the 3 stage variable turbo and my right foot. Also the chuffs and whistles can get a bit annoying (so some say), so being able to turn these down may be a good thing.

The high performance radiator is not needed unless the Atom is going into hot countries like Italy and Spain in mid summer.

Side panels are an easy fit. Atoms are ready to accept these. So you can save the money and fit yourself later, if you indeed find you do want them.

On the chassis colour, only the black is now a cost free option

Good luck with the decisions.
Corvette 74 big block, Mustang Cobra Terminator, Focus RS mk3, Nissan GTR, Maserati Gran turismo mc sport.

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:14 pm

Satin black is the cost free option for the chassis colour.

I agree on traction control. If you feel the need for it to save you then buy a Focus RS, BMW M2c or something with less power. The thing to watch out for is tyres. If you take those day track tyres on a wet winter road or track nothing will save you. I never get tired of the turbo noises.

I was seeing 104c coolant temps on a UK track day last week with a standard radiator. So I don't think that radiator is sufficient.

dooke2000

Post by dooke2000 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:32 am

simonrhart wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:14 pm I was seeing 104c coolant temps on a UK track day last week with a standard radiator. So I don't think that radiator is sufficient.
I hope that was one of our hot days, you was stopped waiting to go on track and I suppose that is the temp when the cooling fans step in?

I was going to option the uprated radiator, but Ariel co. said not needed if staying in UK. Slightly worried now.
Corvette 74 big block, Mustang Cobra Terminator, Focus RS mk3, Nissan GTR, Maserati Gran turismo mc sport.

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:06 am

simonrhart wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:14 pm If you feel the need for it to save you then buy a Focus RS, BMW M2c or something with less power.
I can never understand view points like this. If he wants Traction control, then he buys it, I know I would, but it's all personal preference.

Furthermore, the road car I would buy is the latest variant of a previous purchase I had 10 years ago, IMO still a great car, but my opinion.

wasp

Post by wasp » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:09 am

dooke2000 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:32 am
simonrhart wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:14 pm I was seeing 104c coolant temps on a UK track day last week with a standard radiator. So I don't think that radiator is sufficient.
I hope that was one of our hot days, you was stopped waiting to go on track and I suppose that is the temp when the cooling fans step in?

I was going to option the uprated radiator, but Ariel co. said not needed if staying in UK. Slightly worried now.
I wouldn't normally disagree with Ariel but I do on this one. We had some hot days this year in the UK and my experience is that the uprated rad is essential for track use.

Cheers,
Stu

Anon

Post by Anon » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:56 am

Jerry wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:06 am
simonrhart wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:14 pm If you feel the need for it to save you then buy a Focus RS, BMW M2c or something with less power.
I can never understand view points like this. If he wants Traction control, then he buys it, I know I would, but it's all personal preference.

Furthermore, the road car I would buy is the latest variant of a previous purchase I had 10 years ago, IMO still a great car, but my opinion.
It's called a point of view or opinion about something and we all have different ones. The value of the Atom (and again this is my opinion) is it takes you back to a raw driving experience that very few other cars can do today because they often have assisted brakes, power steering, ABS, traction control, fancy electronic automatic suspension etc. etc. If you start loading up a raw car designed for the driver's pleasure with computer aids to help you, then what is the point in getting an Atom? It then becomes the next GTR, M2 etc etc. This is my point. If you still don't get this then fair play to you.

The day wasn't that hot it was 26/27 degrees c. I did drive it quite hard as I wanted to see where I needed to improve the car and it's weak points.

Cooling is a problem though, not sure if anyone else is seeing this or if there is something wrong with my car. No problem with the AP racing brakes or ZZR tyres - tyres get really sticky when they start to melt.

[mention]wasp[/mention] what temps do you get on track with your sports rad? Ariel have asked me if I want to upgrade to it.