Atom 4 - Build and Collection

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
anx10us

Re: Atom 4 - Build and Collection

Post by anx10us » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:35 am

Thanks for the responses, agreed on 3 inch harness, I was thinking about sourcing my own ..

I did think about brake bias, traction, boost, trick suspension, however I think my money would be better spent on losing a few pounds and track tuition ... ;-)

I'm torn between the Titanium which looks like Nardo Grey / Quantum Grey or just going full stealth and a black chassis, if money was no object I suspect a white chassis would be in order ..

One thing mentioned was that the standard mirrors are awful and huge, the machined ones are a must ... However they can be sourced elsewhere as I assume they aren't bespoke Ariel items ?

Luckky

Atom 4 - Build and Collection

Post by Luckky » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:42 am

Good spec, I am also going for the stealth look with gunmetal grey with carbon parts.

The only observation is that the black brake lines look a little cheap to me so I went for the stainless steel but not the black and saved a few quid, other than that looks lovely spec!!

I will also be looking to source my own 3” although some sites will say if you want to track your car and want to wear a hans kit, 2” are the way forward. Some designers are now doing a graduation between 3” to 2” for exactly this reason.

Have you had the call from Ariel to ask you to lock in your spec? I did mine last week, very excited and now desperately hoping I’ll get some use this side of Christmas...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anon

Post by Anon » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:06 pm

anx10us wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:26 am Morning, getting close to finalising specification and would appreciate feedback ..

I'm keen to keep budget to £50k (this is just over), anything obvious I've missed ? or should swap ?car will be 50/50 split between road and track ..

I probably need to ask the factory, but i'm not clear on exactly what the difference in colour is between Silver / Gunmetal and Titanium ...

Atom 4 320bhp 6 Speed
Limited Slip Differential
Baffled Engine Oil Sump
AP Racing 4 Pot Caliper/290mm Discs (inc handbrake) Front and Rear
Black Brake and Clutch Lines with Stainless Steel Fittings
Bilstein Single Adjustable Dampers with 2 piece springs - Road/Track
Towing Eye Kit Rear Road/Track Day Use (1 x hook)
Standard 2" Harnesses
Road Wheel and Tyre Package
Stainless Steel Fixings
Machined Aluminium Wing Mirror Set
Aero Screen
Locking Fuel Cap
Black Colour Wheels
Silver/Gunmetal/Gloss Black/Titanium Powder Coat Chassis
IVA Test
Road Tax + Registration
Good use of cash I would say.

As mentioned by others, the black brake and clutch lines look plastic - the braided and cheaper ones look much better imo and more race car look.

I would tag on stainless brake and clutch line fittings too otherwise they may rust. The wing mirrors are Ariels - they have an Ariel logo on them and are really nice.

The 3" belts although expensive I don't think you will get them much cheaper elsewhere. The v type crutch strap yes you will and the pads but the factory supply Willians so are pretty good harnesses. They also come with a nice Ariel logo sewn into them. Of course there are cheaper ones like TRS or Luke - you find these in kit cars a lot. Also if going to a 2" belt they normally are only 4 point so you won't be able to fit the 5th point in there for track days or when kids maybe in your car. I fitted the V type crutch and eye bolts from Willians later on and saved a bit of money. Unless I am mistaken here and that you can buy 2" belts with quick release 5 point mechanism.

lancecrobinson

Post by lancecrobinson » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:39 pm

I got aftermarket TRS 6 point harnesses for my 4. Slightly childish I know but one of the reasons (OK the main reason) was the colour choice - bright green! The side seat belt eyes can just fit the lap belt and crutch harness. I believe that the Magnum range has the clip type fittings. In terms of cost, the TRS FIA belts are not a cheaper or lower quality option. The cheaper TRS 4 point belts (such as might be found in a kit car) are such because they have a push button type buckle, like a road car. This type of buckle is as comes standard with the Atom belts anyway. Suggest buying direct from TRS. They made and dispatched mine in a day.

Anon

Post by Anon » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:01 pm

Did you get the T type crutch belt with your TRS? and green sounds really nice. I considered doing this but in red or yellow - still not decided on whether to go with red everywhere i.e. calipers, carpet etc. My V type strap is not FIA approved, in fact no V type crutch straps are approved anymore. This only matters if you go racing. Bit of a pain though because it means you can't use those harnesses in another car for racing purposes. Also another rule is that you have to buy all the webbing at the same time for your harness to be FIA approved. Probably useless bit of information for you there if you didn't already know.

lancecrobinson

Post by lancecrobinson » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:36 pm

Yes, its the T Type
21C6002_2.jpg
21C6002_2.jpg (25.98 KiB) Viewed 588 times
thingy

anx10us

Post by anx10us » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:26 pm

Question asked by insurance company, what level of alarm (if any is available) ?

Anon

Post by Anon » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:55 pm

I don't think an alarm applies to an Atom due to there being no roof or "inside". Alarms work on the basis of movement inside the cabin when the alarm is activated. The only security device(s) for the Atom is the immobiliser (standard), tracker (cost option), removable steering wheel (cost option) and battery cut off switch (cost option).

anx10us

Post by anx10us » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:56 am

simonrhart wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:55 pm I don't think an alarm applies to an Atom due to there being no roof or "inside". Alarms work on the basis of movement inside the cabin when the alarm is activated. The only security device(s) for the Atom is the immobiliser (standard), tracker (cost option), removable steering wheel (cost option) and battery cut off switch (cost option).
Perfect thanks, according to the factory its a Cat 2 Immobiliser, with Cat 1 being impossible due to the lack of doors ...

Looks like i'm getting closer to a final spec now, titanium frame, just need a panel colour now .... I think yellow, orange or green ...

CAS983

Post by CAS983 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:29 pm

green TRS belts on green car I think looks good - ( then again im a bit biased !)
xx.jpg
xx.jpg (20.75 KiB) Viewed 513 times

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:09 pm

Why not go full wasabi hulk?

XSP_6621.JPG
XSP_6621.JPG (5.31 MiB) Viewed 498 times

Anon

Post by Anon » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:13 am

Hedge wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:50 am Luckky,

Factor in 600 notes to get the calipers (& hubs) painted.

You knows it makes sense.

image.png

Cheers,
Hedge
[mention]Hedge[/mention],

Do you mind me asking where you had your hubs and calipers painted? I contacted BCS and they said they don't paint hubs.

Thanks
Simon

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:52 pm

Somewhere not particularly nearby to you, I'm afraid: Slough.

Place called "The Autowerks". Sven has had his car in there recently, too, for the same thing + PPF.

Cheers,
Hedge

SvenTheHammer

Post by SvenTheHammer » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:04 pm

Hedge wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:52 pm Somewhere not particularly nearby to you, I'm afraid: Slough.

Place called "The Autowerks". Sven has had his car in there recently, too, for the same thing + PPF.

Cheers,
Hedge
I saw yours in there Hedge. Looks great.

I had my brake callipers done and wings PPF’d. I’d already had the rest of the car PPF’d at Definitive detail in Essex, which is quite a trek with me living in Surrey.

I’m very pleased with both jobs Autowerks have done with the car, and would definitely use them again.

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:34 pm

What is a realistic cost for PPF / ceramic coating and do you do both or one of? Never done either previously.
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.