Atom 4 - Build and Collection

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
dooke2000

Re: Atom 4 - Build and Collection

Post by dooke2000 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:36 am

This Atom is shod with them.

They do look very grippy. To me they look made from the same rubber that is used for superbikes, just my gut feeling, super sticky.
Corvette 74 big block, Mustang Cobra Terminator, Focus RS mk3, Nissan GTR, Maserati Gran turismo mc sport.

dooke2000

Post by dooke2000 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:03 am

simonrhart wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:58 pm Did not know there was a choice. The Avon's are quite highly regarded are they not? what Yokohamas are they? AO48 perhaps?
If you can tear up a set of tyres in one track day, I would say, do not put these Yokohama's on.

I drive up to around 95% of a tyres capability letting them squeel slightly. The Avon's at a guess would give me around 7 track days. The Yokohama's will give me around half that.

My guess is I could run the car in, do a few track days and a little road use, then trailer the car to track days and run them to slicks before changing. May even make five track days.

With this Covid-19 lasting a lot more days than I thought, I may end up with a standard Atom with no options.
Corvette 74 big block, Mustang Cobra Terminator, Focus RS mk3, Nissan GTR, Maserati Gran turismo mc sport.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:51 am

simonrhart wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:40 am It's not that I am worried in someone starting it, the car is so light you can just roll it away by releasing the handbreak, it's much harder without a steering wheel even to get it on a trailer.

The other reason I opted for the removable steering wheel is I think (I could be wrong here) is that it makes it easier to adust to bring it closer to you, I am not entirely sure this is possible without the boss??

Plus I think it feels more like a racing car..
Of course, walking into pubs / bars / etc. casually swinging a steering wheel for effect has nothing to do with it.

(Well, that's what I used mine for...)

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:58 am

On a more serious note for a moment...dont wanna bother Ariel but my build slot will be due in a few months. If I delay till next year, will you just be able to say that you want to spec at anytime the following year. In effect Ive given up my space but just want to skip a few places. My finances have been hit! Anyone any experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:33 pm

Bruce Fielding wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:51 amOf course, walking into pubs / bars / etc. casually swinging a steering wheel for effect has nothing to do with it. (Well, that's what I used mine for...)
This, exactly.

As is a lot to do with having an Atom in the first place, obvs ;D

Cheers,
Hedge

Italianpaul

Post by Italianpaul » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:30 pm

Alistairbuchanan wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:58 am On a more serious note for a moment...dont wanna bother Ariel but my build slot will be due in a few months. If I delay till next year, will you just be able to say that you want to spec at anytime the following year. In effect Ive given up my space but just want to skip a few places. My finances have been hit! Anyone any experience?

I think that there.will be quite a few of us with orders due this year with similar financial issues. I am sure that Aerial will be flexible as they still.want to sell the cars.
Hopefully we can all.sort out our finances as soon.as possible.

Anon

Post by Anon » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:55 pm

Yes sadly the COVID19 is effecting everything. It has taken 4 weeks to settle a US transaction from my US bank account to my UK account!! finally it was settled last week but quite simply painful it took this long and it is a long story why but this is expected I suppose with every business effected in all this.

I am sure Ariel will be understanding if you speak to them when they are back. I can't imagine waiting another year for an Atom, but needs must. My car is ready to be registered and collected and once the lock down is relaxed, off to Crewkerne I will go.

Anon

Post by Anon » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:57 pm

Bruce Fielding wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:51 am
Of course, walking into pubs / bars / etc. casually swinging a steering wheel for effect has nothing to do with it.

Exactly, you got it Bruce!

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:59 pm

Alistairbuchanan wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:58 am On a more serious note for a moment...dont wanna bother Ariel but my build slot will be due in a few months. If I delay till next year, will you just be able to say that you want to spec at anytime the following year. In effect Ive given up my space but just want to skip a few places. My finances have been hit! Anyone any experience?

Yes Ariel will just move the next orders up the list and your place will bump along until you’re ready and you slot in at that time. Ariel will just hold your deposit until then. I think that’s how it works.

dooke2000

Post by dooke2000 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:51 am

I have a similar problem. Mine is due to start in two weeks, maybe five now due to the shutdown. My money is held in shares so I thought Do not use these and let them bounce back. Ok get a re-mortgage. All mortgages have been put on hold. Lots of buyers on the list will have problems in the short, medium term. Ariel should be understanding. Speak to them when your build is closer.

Fingers crossed yours, others here and my problems are only short term, good luck.
Last edited by dooke2000 on Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

dooke2000

Post by dooke2000 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:57 am

(Well, that's what I used mine for...)
[/quote]

Lol, I will enjoy doing that, problem will be trying to stop the smirk on my face.

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:21 am

dooke2000 wrote:

I have a similar problem. Mine is due to start in two weeks, maybe five now due to the shutdown. My money is held in shares so I thought Do not use these and let them bounce back. Ok get a re-mortgage. All mortgages have been put on hold. Lots of buyers on the list will have problems in the short, medium term. Ariel should be understanding. Speak to them when your build is closer.

Fingers crossed yours, others here and my problems are only short term, good luck.
Exactly the same boat I’m Image

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:40 am

Unless things have changed (and there is no reason why they would), when I was ordering my Atom4 Tom did offer to put the order on hold if necessary as long as you tell them prior to ordering the frame in advance of starting the build.

They will just slip the next person up the build list and retain your deposit until you are ready. This avoids any impact to their supply chain as they cannot store parts / frames etc for cars mid-build. As long as they haven't started anything there should be no issue.

I hope it works out for you guys, it is worth it in the end. I think the delay with be a LOT more than 3 weeks though. 2-3 months is more likely. :(
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Alec

Post by Alec » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:13 pm

Unless they've changed their system on orders.
When mine was due to start its build back in 2005, delivery & waiting times were shorter then, I had to have a life saving operation, so I told them I wouldn't be able to take delivery at the estimated time and could it be delayed by about a month.
The re[ply was that I had been taken off the build list and put to the back, whereas I was just expecting to be dropped down one or two places, so it meant I got my Atom a year later in August 2006.
If you get put to the back of the list now, I imagine it will be a longer wait than the one I had.

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:33 pm

Alec wrote:Unless they've changed their system on orders.
When mine was due to start its build back in 2005, delivery & waiting times were shorter then, I had to have a life saving operation, so I told them I wouldn't be able to take delivery at the estimated time and could it be delayed by about a month.
The re[ply was that I had been taken off the build list and put to the back, whereas I was just expecting to be dropped down one or two places, so it meant I got my Atom a year later in August 2006.
If you get put to the back of the list now, I imagine it will be a longer wait than the one I had.
Well that would piss me off even more!! Glad your still with usImage