Atom 4 - Spec and Discussion

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
atomiser

Re: Atom 4

Post by atomiser » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:11 pm

Just gone from a atom 2 to 3.5 cup, and that was night and day on turn in, grip and stopping power (100mph to 0 in 84m!)

The atom 4 must rip clothing off at fifty paces!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:15 pm

atomiser wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:11 pm Just gone from a atom 2 to 3.5 cup, and that was night and day on turn in, grip and stopping power (100mph to 0 in 84m!)

The atom 4 must rip clothing off at fifty paces!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
It will be interesting when the first track reviews come in but it's the way in which the performance is delivered without that much fuss which is deeply impressive. Whether that actually makes it more fun will be open to interpretation.

I loved my Atom 2, it was just bonkers on track. I also loved my 3.5, it was still thoroughly visceral but so much more accomplished in other areas. The 4 is without doubt the biggest step ever in Atom Land and will be mega-quick but I doubt that it will feel as fast in acceleration terms (until you look at the speedo when you'll wonder why they calibrated it in km's ph!) Everywhere else it will take a while to re-calibrate our brains I suspect!

Cheers,
Stu

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:17 pm

That is one mega mega spec.

Think you need to just CF the old girl (body & boots) to finish her - & your bank balance - off.

I'll get me coat.

Cheers,
Hedge

cannon24889

Post by cannon24889 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:47 am

Morning all,

I don't want to pester Henry or anyone at ariel as I'm sure they are pretty busy, just reading through the threads, currently car 29, and it looks like it's going to be well in to Autumn if predictions on delivery are right.

If this is the case do we have an option to delay delivery until next spring say?

Thanks again

Sean

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:07 am

Morning Sean!

Dont worry about pestering us!

Give us a call at Ariel to discuss :tu:

anx10us

Post by anx10us » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:10 am

cannon24889 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:47 am Morning all,

I don't want to pester Henry or anyone at ariel as I'm sure they are pretty busy, just reading through the threads, currently car 29, and it looks like it's going to be well in to Autumn if predictions on delivery are right.

If this is the case do we have an option to delay delivery until next spring say?

Thanks again

Sean
Sean, I think the answer is yes, however the only people who could say for sure would be the factory, give them a call ...

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:14 am

cannon24889 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:47 am Morning all,

Thanks again

Sean
Sean,
Previously (before Atom 4 was announced) i was told i could wait for a new model if i wanted to. I would effectively slip my slot down the list as required. I am pretty sure before they have started any work or you have paid anything beyond the deposit you could request a hold to be put on your order till Spring next year. As long as this is done occasionally by exception it would cause Ariel no issues.

But I am sure Henry will comment at some point to confirm.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:17 am

cannon24889 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:47 am

Thanks again

Sean
I think that due to the delay Ariel are being a bit flexible but they are very limited for storage. Give Henry a call, I'm sure he'll be able to sort something out.

Cheers,
Stu

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:42 am

Some thoughts,

I took delivery of my Atom last October, there have been enough bright, warm, dry days to have done 1500 miles so far. I wouldn't have missed that excitement of waking up to a dry, sunny day and getting the car out. Get it while you can is my advice.

On Wasp's spec:

Delete the handbrake, you don't need it.
Delete the crutch strap passengers side, a pain for passengers and somewhat inelegant for a woman not in trousers. Really it helps!
Delete the removable steering wheel, I don't understand the point myself.
Delete the fire extinguisher, I'm interested to know if an Atom has ever caught fire?
Delete the boost controller, you have a right foot and if a Divo/Senna/LaFerrari don't need one...

Save another few quid on top of those savings and get the sequential box, that's a real upgrade that will REALLY have an impact on the drive. I am still waiting for someone with the Sadev to say they rather they didn't have it.

All personal opinion, that's the point of the forum. But do delete the passenger crutch strap, I'm glad that I did every time I strap someone in.

Alan

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:45 am

Take delivery without registering it, stick it in garage, dont look at it till xmas, register it new 1st March

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokin

Post by smokin » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:58 am

AlanP wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:42 am ...
Delete the fire extinguisher, I'm interested to know if an Atom has ever caught fire?

I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it as they say

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:59 am

Suggest you get the car ASAP. We had nearly 20deg in Feb this year when you would have used the car. Global warming does have a benefit if you own an Ariel

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:00 am

That really would make no difference to residuals, it's condition, spec and mileage that matter I think. Get it, use it, love it!

A

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:03 am

Smokin,

Wow thanks! How did that happen???

It's still down to our individual approach to risk I guess. These are Atoms after all.

A

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:12 am

AlanP wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:42 am Some thoughts,

On Wasp's spec:

Delete the handbrake, you don't need it.
I didn't bother with my last two Atoms but I intend to do more road trips with this one and the central position of the lever makes it more difficult to retrofit I believe
AlanP wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:42 am Delete the crutch strap passengers side, a pain for passengers and somewhat inelegant for a woman not in trousers. Really it helps!
For use on track I find that passengers like the security and I prefer it when I'm letting a friend drive. Plus, you don't need to actually connect it to leave the other 4 points still working.
AlanP wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:42 am Delete the removable steering wheel, I don't understand the point myself.
Once again, it's for security on road trips. The last thing I want to do is come back to the car has been "played" with. The number of times I've come back to it with someone sitting in it might surprise you. Plus, if it's raining at lunch time it gets soaking wet which is just a less pleasant thing.
[/quote]
AlanP wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:42 am Delete the fire extinguisher, I'm interested to know if an Atom has ever caught fire?
I agree with you but the missus insisted on it. There is a clip somewhere of Estaban Ocon proving this very point at Silverstone.
AlanP wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:42 am Delete the boost controller, you have a right foot and if a Divo/Senna/LaFerrari don't need one...
I bought my first Atom back in 2007 cos I didn't want anything helping me drive the car. I still feel like that but once again on a road trip there are times when having a quieter experience (none of the pops and bangs) will just make it a nicer place to be. On motorway runs, there have been times where fuel stops have been a bit further than ideal in Europe, so it kinda made sense there too.Plus, if you let someone else ever drive your car, which I do,sticking it in a lower map is just safer.
[/quote]
AlanP wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:42 am Save another few quid on top of those savings and get the sequential box, that's a real upgrade that will REALLY have an impact on the drive. I am still waiting for someone with the Sadev to say they rather they didn't have it.

All personal opinion, that's the point of the forum. But do delete the passenger crutch strap, I'm glad that I did every time I strap someone in.

Alan
I agree that the Sadev is a bloody fantastic bit of kit but if I deleted everything from your list it's about £2k, nothing like the cost of the Sadev and probs not close to the cost of the new sequential. I did think long and hard about the sequential but I still like old school fun and will re-learn heel/toeing for this car. I also believe that retrofitting the new sequential won't be anything like the job of the Sadev should I choose to update in the future (or find an unforgotten pile of dosh under the sofa.)
I agree with Alan, it's great to have differing opinions and all that and I certainly don't take any kind of offense but the passenger strap cost £60, can be removed in about 30 seconds and isn't needed to make the rest of the harness work.

It's great to have someone who's prepared to express some opinions, so great props Alan! :tu:

Cheers,
Stu