Trailers

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
robfitz

Trailers

Post by robfitz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:06 pm

Slightly random question but how many of you trailer your Atom to a track day?

Do you all use closed trailers like a Brian James Race Shuttle 2 if you do, or transport on an open flatbed?

Having done trips to Spa and Bilsterberg in an Elise/VX220 I think I’d be minded to go in comfort and unload the car when I get there.
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

atomiser

Re: Trailers

Post by atomiser » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:45 pm

Open bed trailer all the way or someone to trailer it and fly. An enclosed trailer would need a reasonable tow car since a golf or 3 series wouldnt hack it. I'm not ready for Chelsea tractor just yet. Anyway the tow car can double up as a track car if I have problem

Driving there is one thing, with cut slicks in the wet - another... and driving back with just legal cut slicks in the wet is ... interesting.

Then the manifold breaks or the bearing goes ... the aa/rac will not recover you track side.

With the trailer you can carry spares including tyres so you have a fighting chance.

PaulF

Post by PaulF » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:54 pm

I put it on an open flatbed trailer. Don't like driving the thing on highways, especially not for 3-4 hours.

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:46 pm

Thanks both. Do you put a cover over it or just leave it open?

Have done the trips to Spa etc on ZZRs but think in an Atom it is going to be another level of effort. I’ve been recovered from anglesey when an engine let go and the AA were great, but i’d rather just push it back on a trailer.

Think a 3 series is rated to 1800kg would pull a Race Shuttle 2, with an Atom on it, trailer is about 800kg, but an open trailer is a much cheaper option.

Italianpaul

Post by Italianpaul » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:12 pm

I use a covered trailer, mainly for security as I stop over night at some tracks and has the benefit of carrying spare tyres etc. Also if the weather turns the added benefits of not having to spend hours cleaning down.
I use an Eco Velocity RS. Not as expensive as some but reasonably mid range trailer.

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:19 pm

robfitz wrote:Thanks both. Do you put a cover over it or just leave it open?

Have done the trips to Spa etc on ZZRs but think in an Atom it is going to be another level of effort. I’ve been recovered from anglesey when an engine let go and the AA were great, but i’d rather just push it back on a trailer.

Think a 3 series is rated to 1800kg would pull a Race Shuttle 2, with an Atom on it, trailer is about 800kg, but an open trailer is a much cheaper option.
I'd leave it open but you can cover with a stretch cover - though you need to attach securely otherwise it will beat the car up. I have all weather one if overnighting

On the towing front you technically cant tow a trailer that the gross weight is greater than the towing capacity of the car - even though you'd be under that and the police dont know the rules. Easily remedied by re-plating the trailer to 1800 gross for insurance purposes

For me the extra ~400kg cover means I couldnt use the golf for towing duties and my other 1.2t track car would be out of reach. Also I can front load the atom since the bed is 4m but I can slightly over hang the front to get 60kg positive weight on the ball.

The covered trailer does have the bonus of being secure if you are over nighting and means the spares and petrol are out of site under proper lock and key.

Either way it's worth checking the lip on trailer and clearance either side - I swapped from a club to a-max to give me a 1.96m bed width for 8cm clearance either side and minimise wheel kerbing/driving straight on.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:55 pm

Thank you very much - stuff to think about :tu:

staffsatom

Post by staffsatom » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:13 pm

P R G trailers near Whitchurch will build any spec trailer you want great guys and first class service, open or closed.

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:42 pm

I second the PRG comment. They built me a beavertail to fit in my very short and narrow garage. The Atom lives on top of it.

Great service, great bit of kit.

stupot

Post by stupot » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:08 pm

I too have a PRG beavertail. They were very helpful and custom built it for me back in 2006 it to fit in a single garage. I now have a double garage but the Atom lived on top and so will the Nomad when that arrives.
Atom 2 160 (05-11) / Atom 3 245 (12-19 ) / Nomad 300 (22-)

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:07 pm

stupot wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:08 pm ...so will the Nomad when that arrives.
When's the due date Stu?

stupot

Post by stupot » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:13 pm

Henry quoted 2 years when I placed the order which would make it around Aug 2020 :( Still on the bright side means more opportunity for budget creep :)
Atom 2 160 (05-11) / Atom 3 245 (12-19 ) / Nomad 300 (22-)

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:04 pm

:tu:

And maybe new innovations - as the parts bin starts to roll out to other models; maybe...