Helmet or not?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
woza

Helmet or not?

Post by woza » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:37 pm

One of the key reasons the other half isn’t so keen on me getting an Atom is its ‘exposure to the elements’!

What does everyone do with regards to helmets? Do you wear them all the time? How beneficial are the windscreens and can these be retro fitted to any model? What about in the rain? Full weather gear as if on a motorbike?

Thanks in advance,

Woza.

phil4

Re: Helmet or not?

Post by phil4 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:56 pm

It’s sort of your call.

@winmoz will do just sunglasses as will others. Me I almost always put a helmet on. If nothing else it helped with the wind noise.

Yes you can retro fit the windscreen, not sure if you can for an atom 2, but 3 and 3.5 you should be able to.

I’ve not tried an atom with a windscreen, but in a nomad you can easily drive round with no helmet, sunglasses or anything. I suspect it changes the perspective of speed somewhat though.

Rain... you get wet. There’s just so many ways water will get in, ski or motorbike gear is a good idea, but you’ll likely still get wet if you’re out in it for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:27 pm

I only wear a helmet on track

IanG

Post by IanG » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:33 pm

Helmet on track
or
Motorways with Alex in the car (14 year old ) helmet on,can't tell him he has to wear one and not me.
The rest of the time no helmet 👍

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:15 pm

As Phil says, for a short Sunday blast I will wear sunglasses and a cap (tethered with a clip) but for anything longer or involving lots of dual carriage ways or motorways, I’ll put a helmet on.

Tracks - helmets are required.

Rain - despite your best intentions, you will get caught out in it. I have an all-in-one motorcycle wet weather suit that I wear if it is likely to be cold and wet. I also have some electrically heated gloves that keep my fingers toasty on such days.

My theory that if you drive fast enough you’ll create an area of high pressure just above the car thereby causing the rain to fall around the car and not in it is, sadly, bunkum.

But most of the time I just wear jeans and a jacket or teeshirt.

My wife has been known to wear a wide brimmed hat, secured with a scarf, but that is another story.

#BananAtom

Spikey_head

Post by Spikey_head » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:42 pm

I've got some Oakley motorcross googles that fit nicely over my glasses. Good enough to keep stones and bees out of my eyes.

I'll use a helmet on track or on a long motorway run.

dunny

Post by dunny » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:50 am

Hi,
I had a Grouse fly right through the side of my Nomad and out the other while i was driving over the [wonderful]Lammermuir hills. Everything else bounces off my windscreen! Lucky if you have one!You can get prescription Boll'es at Boots,handy for work as well.
Dunny.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:58 am

I used a set of 3M safety glasses in the Atom, but did catch a few stones to the head over the years. Also, being caught in a light shower is like acupuncture at 40MpH.

Then last year, a suicidal pigeon decided to have a pop at me at 50MpH. Dread to think what would have happened if I was still in an Atom and had a passenger.

Dead_pigeon.jpg
Dead_pigeon.jpg (178.3 KiB) Viewed 1695 times

jordanhiggins2002

Post by jordanhiggins2002 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:54 pm

anytime you wear a helmet you should have some sort of neck support or brace.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:01 pm

jordanhiggins2002 wrote:anytime you wear a helmet you should have some sort of neck support or brace.
Playing devils advocate for one second.... how many motorcyclists do you see with neck support/brace? mentioned in CBT, theory or licence? Worn by top level MotoGP riders?

Suspect then it’s not a bad idea, it far from essential.

jordanhiggins2002

Post by jordanhiggins2002 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:04 pm

It is always good to discuss but many GP rider or others have a chest protector and some sort of shoulder brace so the helmet cant completely bends your neck. I use to race and as you become better your vision becomes more important as a GP rider you actually have to move your head more then most people think.
To each, his own but a helmet first will protect your head from blunt force trauma and I added the neck support as its another step you can take if you wish.

phil4

Helmet or not?

Post by phil4 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:19 pm

You’re right and motorbiking is very different. You’re not strapped into a seat tight.

This is what the Hans type stuff protects, your head moving and your body not. Strap yourself in super tight and it’s made worse,

Half the problem with a car like the atom is that in the event of a big head on shunt... a neck brace isn’t really going to help. Nor a helmet,

I’d guess most atom drivers wear a helmet to a) reduce chances of flying debris damage and b) reduce noise. With any genuine head protection being a second thought.

At least it was for me.

That said, always worth thinking about.

DB Atom

Post by DB Atom » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:20 pm

Helmet on, always for me. You only get one set of eyes, so for me the risk of having gravel or even a small fly at serious speed is not worth the risk.

SvenTheHammer

Post by SvenTheHammer » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:35 pm

Sir Nick wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:27 pm I only wear a helmet on track
Same here Nick. I wear a helmet on my motorbike daily, so like the fact I don’t have to in the Atom. Takes away from the experience imo.

SvenTheHammer

Post by SvenTheHammer » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:36 pm

Always wear shades though.