Kumho V70A

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
PaulF

Kumho V70A

Post by PaulF » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:27 pm

I bought a pre-owned Atom 3 245 from the factory with Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R tyres. Had little grip on both road and track even though thread depth was still good. I'm under the impression that they've gone through a bit too many heat cycles.

I upgrade to the Kumho Ecsta V70A tyres (front and back soft) and the difference was astonishing. Loads more grip and confidence. After only 2 hours of tracking, the soft rears are already pretty worn. Figured I should just order the mediums, but can’t find them anywhere online in stock.

Any idea on where I could find them?

If not, what would be a good alternative? What tyres and compound do people here use for tracking and how much life do you get out of them?

PaulF

Re: Kumho V70A

Post by PaulF » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:37 pm

And have some of you compared the Avon ZZR to the Kumho? Any ideas on that?

PaulF

Re: Kumho V70A

Post by PaulF » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:49 am

So I've bought the Avon ZZRs and took them out on track yesterday. At the end of the day, I switched back to the Kumhos to see how they'd compare.

The Kumhos made the ride a bit more comfortable and seemed to heat up a tiny bit faster.

Kumho's had a little more oversteer coming out of corners, but it felt very predictable and smooth. The Avons seemed to grip more under hard acceleration, but broke away more sudden. Front axle seemed to grip harder as well, but understeer scared me a bit more than the Kumhos.

Subjectively, I had more confidence pushing the Kumhos than the Avons. Coming out of the car to check my laptimes after being on the Kumhos, I was fairly confident I'd knocked a bit off. I didn't. Average laptimes were identical, with the fastest lap of the day driven on the Avons (being only 3 tenths of a second faster than my other laps with both Avons and Kumhos - over a short circuit with 1 minute laptimes).

Driving for about 250km on track, pushing hard, the Avons wore about 1mm and the rubber looked nice. The Kumhos on the other hand were allmost half worn after only one other trackday (with a bit too much pressure on the tire in hindsight, my fault). I guess I'll stick with the Avons for now and build up more confidence with them.