Wiring diagram for the throttle pedal sensor (APP, FBW)

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Curves Junkie

Wiring diagram for the throttle pedal sensor (APP, FBW)

Post by Curves Junkie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:19 pm

Hi guys,
I need your help.

I searching for the wiring diagram or cable assignment for my AA3 from 2010 throttle pedal sensor.
From which car is this sensor?
Who can help me please with informations?

smokin

Re: Wiring diagram for the throttle pedal sensor (APP, FBW)

Post by smokin » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:24 am

Hi CJ,

I believe it is the Wabash Technologies 9631 Dual Output PPS (Pedal Position Sensor) however I've been unable to find any details of its pin outs. It's discontinued and newer Atoms use something else.

https://www.powerandsignal.com/docs/Pro ... ab9631.pdf

If you have a multi-meter you will be able to work out which pin is which. As it has dual independant outputs there will be 2 x positive, 2 x ground and 2 x signal wires.

Hope this is of some help

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:37 pm

Hi smokin,

thanks @smokin for answering.

It looks like Wabash Technologies Inc. is liquidated. If you look at google streetview the building is empty and abandoned. :-\

Yes, I have a multi-meter, but I dont know how to handle it to find the correct cable. :'(
Can you give me some advice? I need the correct signal cable for the APPS Sensor 1 and APPS Sensor 2.

smokin

Post by smokin » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:44 pm

Wabash were acquired by Sensata in 2013 https://investors.sensata.com/investors ... fault.aspx

Unplug the sensor connector and the cable end will look something like this:
-
PIO-15397577.png
PIO-15397577.png (72.88 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
-
Turn the dial on your multimeter to 20V DC
-
ch2-meter-dial-labelled-01.png
ch2-meter-dial-labelled-01.png (195.14 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
-
Cut off a length of paper clip or use a sewing pin and push it gently into the first of the 6 large terminal holes.

Turn ON ignition, hold the multimeter black cable against a good ground (bolt on the bracket securing steering rack should be good or battery negative terminal) and hold red cable against pin/paper clip. If it reads a voltage (probably 5v) then that is positive supply. Repeat this for each pin until both positives have been found

Turn OFF ignition, switch meter to continuity (diode symbol or speaker depending on your meter) and repeat the test for the other 4 pins. The 2 ground pins will show a reading close to zero or sound the buzzer depending on your meter.

The two pins that aren't power or ground are signal ;)

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:39 pm

smokin wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:44 pm Wabash were acquired by Sensata in 2013 https://investors.sensata.com/investors ... fault.aspx
LOL, I have found the same information on bloomberg https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stoc ... Id=1022792
I have send a message to Sensata Support this afternoon, with a request for support for Wabash 9631 PPS. If I get an answer I will report it here.
smokin wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:44 pm Unplug the sensor connector and the cable end will look something like this:

Turn the dial on your multimeter to 20V DC

Cut off a length of paper clip or use a sewing pin and push it gently into the first of the 6 large terminal holes.

Turn ON ignition, hold the multimeter black cable against a good ground (bolt on the bracket securing steering rack should be good or battery negative terminal) and hold red cable against pin/paper clip. If it reads a voltage (probably 5v) then that is positive supply. Repeat this for each pin until both positives have been found

Turn OFF ignition, switch meter to continuity (diode symbol or speaker depending on your meter) and repeat the test for the other 4 pins. The 2 ground pins will show a reading close to zero or sound the buzzer depending on your meter.

The two pins that aren't power or ground are signal ;)
My multimeter have both - diode symbol and speaker - with is better to use?

WOW - you make my day. Thanks very much for your support.
At the moment we have -5°C outside and snow fall, so I will wait for better temperatures then - I will check the pedal sensor.

smokin

Post by smokin » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:08 pm

Curves Junkie wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:39 pm My multimeter have both - diode symbol and speaker - with is better to use?
Actually, set it to the 200 between the diode and speaker. It will show resistence from zero to 200 and we're looking for a value close to zero so that will do nicely.
Curves Junkie wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:39 pm WOW - you make my day. Thanks very much for your support.
No problem, happy to help

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:47 pm

Whats the end goal here?

Does the engine not respond to Throttle input?

Are you trying to re-calibrate the senor for something?

H

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:04 pm

Hi Henry,
nice to hear from you. ;D

Everything's fine here.
My Ariel runs and runs without any problems and have more than 15000 road miles, no track, on the speedo now. I love my play toy very well. :tu:
It is very well maintained by me.

So, I'm looking for the two signal lines to evaluate them.
Do you want tell me the two signal wires??

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:28 am

Great to hear its still going strong :)

Ping an email and i will send the PIN OUTs for the wires.

:tu:

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:56 am

HenryJS wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:28 am Great to hear its still going strong :)
Morning Henry,
I had little problems with the electric when its bloody raining. After switching to waterproof-LED-lights and additionally water secure most of the connectors - no more problems now.
After the perfect service and upgrades Steve had done at the factory - the whole car and engine runs very smooth.
HenryJS wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:28 am Ping an email and i will send the PIN OUTs for the wires.
It sounds great. :tu: :tu:
But sorry I have the email-addresses from the Service, Parts and from Tom Siebert in my addressbook BUT not yours. :(
Can you send me by pm your own email-address and I will send you the message back?

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:17 pm

[mention]smokin[/mention] Thank you for helping and I've learned something new again. :tu: :tu: :tu:

[mention]HenryJS[/mention] Thanks for your email with the necessary informations I was looking for. :tu: :tu: :tu:
Please delete your email-address in the post before - because of the junk-robots.

Now I am ready for the next steps. :vroom: :vroom: