Race Tech Dash2

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
cvjoint

Re: Race Tech Dash2

Post by cvjoint » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:47 pm

That's the plan. I am waiting for a gap between track days that's long enough to get the dash sent out and back in time to install before the event.

I'm still shocked this isn't something that came up in the first month of deliveries and fixed. It really must be that I'm one of the very few to drive it in the rain. What about all those EVO and other magazine videos where they drove in the rain? They must have neglected to mention it.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:03 pm

As per Henry's advice earlier in this thread ( see Nov 28th), contact the factory and they will resolve this for you.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:38 am

I agree it is shocking that Ariel have fitted a part that the manufacturer has confirmed is not even shower proof! :o I suspect the issue is only apparent over time as the water slowly creates rust and shorts out the components. Hence its never an issue when new for reviewers.

To get it fixed I guess it comes down to cost and who you trust to do the work (Ariel or Race Tech). Under the circumstances I would send it back to the manufacturer tbh unless Ariel are doing the work FOC. Race Tech are obviously the experts on repairing their equipment.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:00 am

Strongly disagree. Get the factory to fix it.

They always do, after all.

Cheers,
Hedge

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:04 am

As per my previous post - we were assured this product was suitable in the Atom when we chose it.

If you experience problems with the Dash due to water ingress - please, get in touch with us. Alot of the time a repair can be made FOC. Chris410's dash was replaced with a new unit due to excessive damage inside.

We send all of the dashes back to Race Technology for inspection. If you return your Dash to us for inspection of damage due to water ingress - the likelihood is we can get it done FOC for you. If you return it to them, they will probably charge you - as you are technically not their Customer.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:32 am

HenryJS wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:04 am As per my previous post - we were assured this product was suitable in the Atom when we chose it.
Which begs the question:
When you found out it was NOT suitable (some time ago), what did you do?

As far as we know you continued to fit the un-suitable dash to all the remaining 3.5s and still fit it to Nomads. :td:

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:44 am

We told the manufacturer and they started sealing them properly...

Most of these dashes failing are older now (granted some are not) - and the Atom (and nomad) being mostly a fair weather car for most owners, the problem doesn't rear its head. When it does - 99 times out of 100 we fix it free of charge. Very occasionally someone is honest with us and says they pressure washed it from about 2 inches away. Most of the time its rain damage.

We have never had a dash fail on our demo cars - and they get used in all weathers, especially the Nomad.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:49 am

Peter255 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:32 amAs far as we know you continued to fit the un-suitable dash to all the remaining 3.5s and still fit it to Nomads. :td:
Really? That is a genuine question?

I sometimes wonder why you actually want any Ariel product, given your inherent distrust of the factory.

Cheers,
Hedge

IanG

Post by IanG » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:13 pm

Hedge wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:49 am
Peter255 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:32 amAs far as we know you continued to fit the un-suitable dash to all the remaining 3.5s and still fit it to Nomads. :td:

I sometimes wonder why you actually want any Ariel product, given your inherent distrust of the factory.

Cheers,
Hedge

:fence:

IMO I think its a question that has to be asked
Maybe as a way forward when the cars go back to the factory for a service they could inspect the dash to check if its waterproof
being simple to check

Not waterproof Rusty screws
Waterproof Stainless steel screws
Then inform the customer as to what action is required simple really
As Race Tech have always offered a waterproof dash

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:32 pm

Hedge,

lol :roflp:

Henry neglected to mention this fix until now. Its pretty critical info for this thread don't you think? Telling us this issue affected certain cars but is now fixed puts a completely different spin on this.

[mention]HenryJS[/mention]
GREAT news! :tu: There is a fix in place on car from a certain date after Race Tech added more sealing. If you can share the date we can arrange to get the cars BEFORE the fix remedied by yourselves at service time.

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:49 pm

Its not really as simple as that unfortunately Peter,

Taking the dash off, and sending it away and having it resealed to the new specification takes up to a week.

Most customers are only with us for a day - which is why we operate a case by case basis for repair. Also - we don't have enough room for every car fitted with a Dash2 to be here at once, its just not feasible. As i said in my previous post, it happens to some cars but not all.

As i have said before (for all who may not have read all the posts behind this one!) - If you experience problems with your Dash - call us, get it back to us and we will get it repaired (most of the time FOC due to water ingress) and get it back to you ASAP.

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:15 pm

Hedge wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:49 am

Cheers,
Hedge
+1

Pete, please don't take offense. You're a straight talking guy and that's absolutely fine but that's a crazy solution and not one that any vehicle manufacturer would ever undertake. The nature of small scale production is that issues can be found out relatively late in the product cycle (I've had this problem with my dash and various other bits as you'd expect, especially on the old Atom 2 and Ariel have always been more than fair in repairs and remedial works, usually at their expense.) Considering what most of us ask from our cars, they are immensely resilient and beautifully engineered.

I do look after my cars and only have Ariel service them which helps but having direct access to Henry & Tom is a luxury that most bosses in most companies would not consider entertaining. The more you attack them publicly on stuff the less likely they will keep themselves available to everyone in the future and this would be a massive shame as it's a hugely valuable asset to anyone who owns or is thinking of buying an Ariel product.

Be chilled, this is a proper 1st world problem. ;) :D

Cheers,
Stu

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:09 pm

Absolutely no offence taken mate. I am always chilled Stu! :)

Just trying to work out a way to avoid people cars breaking down when they are out and about (like Ian & CV).

If we can find out which cars are un-sealed, notify the owners, they can check the rear of their dash and discuss with the factory getting them sealed at their convenience. That will avoid further damage and potential break downs etc.

For example:
Henry confirms 2013 - 2015 cars affected (example dates)
We notify owners of cars made between those dates to check the rear of their dash.
If it looks all rusty and knackered they ring Ariel to discuss sending it in to them to check and forward to Race Tech.

That avoids the scenarios Ian and CV have had. Makes sense to me. :tu:

Discussing potential problems and solutions is one of the key benefits of owners clubs. :)

cvjoint

Post by cvjoint » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:46 pm

Peter255 might have hit the nail on the proverbial head, the lack of proofing might not show right away. I still think the dash used in an open cockpit car should have been IP65 or similar industry rating from the get-go so we avoid this scenario even if it strikes sometime down the line. This is not some Exocet build where we take the risk fitting production car parts in open air.

The loss here is two events worth of driving, it adds up in $$ but I'd say it's not a safety item, so if it gets fixed FOC that's a good outcome, especially considering the low production numbers of Ariel 8)

staffsatom

Post by staffsatom » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:46 pm

Beggars belief.

What more can Henry say if you have a problem let him know and he will sort it, he replies on here to any questions everytime you wont get that from any car manufacturer . I have never heard so much drabble by the odd few,
its getting more like the house of commons.
Buy a range rover then you'll know what problems are, and then when you moan at L & R they'll just smile and say that's 2k you owe us and we will see you in another week.
So just enjoy your atom's and keep on smiling life's too short.

Ian M