Race Tech Dash2

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
AlanP

Re: Race Tech Dash2

Post by AlanP » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:57 pm

So, given the absence of any confirmation about the water resistance of the dash from the chaps, I'm curious how many owners have experienced similar problems. I don't want to feel concerned whenever there's a bit of unexpected rain! Also another thread about cleaning the car doesn't seem to concern itself with protecting the dash.
I'm sure the risks are minimal, but interested to know.

A

IanG

Post by IanG » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:51 pm

[mention]HenryJS[/mention]
Have you at the factory had anyone else that has had this problem or is this a one off
Interested to find out ;D
Could be a Friday afternoon build by Race Tech

phil4

Post by phil4 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:27 pm

AlanP wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:57 pm So, given the absence of any confirmation about the water resistance of the dash from the chaps, I'm curious how many owners have experienced similar problems.
Yes, when left outside at the 2015 Le Mans 24 hr race. No heavy rain, but enough for the display to read garbage the following morning. As the car and weather warmed up, it dried up and returned to normal. I had a tarp over it the following year.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:31 am

Maybe a poll to get feedback from owners.

I have had similar issues on my analogue dash and from memory other owners have said they have had issues with their cars. And we know Phil and Ian have both had issues. I don't know how frequent it is but its not a one off.

I suspect Ariel won't even know the full extent of the issue either as most people will do the same as Phil and myself. We just dry out the dash and if all is well don't bother to call Ariel. I am sure Ian would have done the same IF his dash had worked again. Why bother call anyone if it dries out and works fine? I suspect water ingress is common, but in most cases the dash just dries out after a time. Crucially it either initially has no effect at all, or works again after it dries out.

But as RaceTech have stated these units are not sold as even shower proof. So this is potentially a ticking time bomb as eventually the repeated water exposure to the internal components will lead to failure (as in Ians case). We could see more of the failures over time as the cars age.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:43 am

Peter255 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:31 am Maybe a poll to get feedback from owners.
Good idea, poll over here: https://www.ariel.club/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17287

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:05 am

It has happened before.

It is reasonably uncommon as we were told the Dash would be fine in an Atom.

If you experience a problem with your Dash2 - please contact us, get the dash back to us and we can get it sorted.

Don't - repeat DON'T buy a Dash2pro. They a re nightmare to set up and use. a Dash2 with DL1 data-logger is way, way better.

IanG

Post by IanG » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:23 pm

HenryJS wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:05 am It has happened before.

It is reasonably uncommon as we were told the Dash would be fine in an Atom.

If you experience a problem with your Dash2 - please contact us, get the dash back to us and we can get it sorted.

Don't - repeat DON'T buy a Dash2pro. They a re nightmare to set up and use. a Dash2 with DL1 data-logger is way, way better.

Thanks for that Henry
Just as a thought if people do have a problem with their Dash2
Would it be possible for Ariel to negotiate with Race Tech

A : A fixed price repair

B : A discount on just having the Dash made waterproof

Thanks

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:07 am

As per my last post - if you experience problems with your dash2 - please call us. We will sort it on a case by case basis.

Alot of the time the dash needs to be inspected before a quote / repair FOC in some cases can be made.

We cant do a fixed price repair (sorry) - as sometimes the dash can not be saved (there has been cases that have been sprayed with high pressure water to clean it! despite the warnings...)

Chris410

Post by Chris410 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:23 am

I have just returned from a trip to the Picos which unfortunately had 2 days of persistent rain. This sent the DASH2 haywire for a few hours and then died. My car has essentially only been used in the dry with any rain exposure being as a result of being caught out on the odd occasion and being washed. The car has never seen a jet wash but on removal of the unit 3 days after the rain storm the back of the unit was still wet. It appears that ANY water near the unit will be trapped at the back and hang around for sometime.
Ryan at Race Tech was helpful and seemed to know exactly what the problem was.
IMG_6099.JPG
IMG_6099.JPG (1.94 MiB) Viewed 1589 times

phil4

Post by phil4 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:08 am

That doesn't look good!

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Wed May 22, 2019 11:34 am

Chris410 - give us a call and speak to Matt in the parts department, we will get the repair for your dash underway ASAP.

01460 78817 if you dont have the number to hand :tu:

Chris410

Post by Chris410 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:41 am

Thanks Henry,

I had a chat with Steve this morning and will return the unit to you rather than direct to race Technology today.

IanG

Post by IanG » Wed May 22, 2019 2:50 pm

That looks worse than mine was :H:
I found Race Tec very helpful
You just need to inform them .

cvjoint

Post by cvjoint » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:55 pm

Had a wet track weekend and the car was absolutely useless with the Dash 2. It got water on the first wet session and the screen was full of Egyptian symbols and eventually went blank for an entire week. It seemed to have dried out and it's working fine now but totally ruined both of my time trial events. How is it possible to option an open cockpit car without a waterproof dash? Even more curious in that the Atom originates in the UK where no one is a stranger to a rainy day. Do people not drive these in the wet?

To make it worse, the SRA doesn't have a thermostat. Since I couldn't see the engine temp to add enough tape on the nose cone, I didn't know if I was running the engine too hot or too cold.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:12 pm

cv

I have a 'folk' memory that I have seen somewhere on this forum that if you return your Dash 2 to Race Tech they can offer a waterproofing solution.

As too whether, or not, it's true or even what the cost might be - I have absolutely no idea whatsoever!!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)