Atoms for sale - information thread

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
DJW

Re: Atoms for sale - information thread

Post by DJW » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:11 pm

Sold my Atom 3 a good 8 years ago and forgot my login details for this site, so new ID

Tempted back by a Nomad or Atom 4. Re latter found this bizarre to find an unregistered car on CC https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2021-ariel-atom-4-2 . What would be list in that spec ?

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:23 pm

That's pretty unusual to see a car that's unregistered ..
Bit of an odd spec too - Car has some carbon fibre bling but everything else is standard basic road spec.,

Anyway, I input all the options into my old Atom 4 configurator and it comes to :-

£36,383 + £7,277 VAT = £43,660

Note that picture 100 of 100 on the web site includes what appears to be the full Ariel Invoice amount (not just the balance) for the whole car which totals £43,755.60 inclusive of VAT.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:30 am

John Scherrer wrote:That's pretty unusual to see a car that's unregistered ..
Bit of an odd spec too - Car has some carbon fibre bling but everything else is standard basic road spec.,

Anyway, I input all the options into my old Atom 4 configurator and it comes to :-

Note that picture 100 of 100 on the web site includes what appears to be the full Ariel Invoice amount (not just the balance) for the whole car which totals £43,755.60 inclusive of VAT.
Maybe it allows the buyer to ship to another country that will allow it in? Then pay the taxes in that country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devonatom

Post by devonatom » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:42 pm

Also see there is another one on Collecting Cars - higher spec but again unregistered with only 40 miles - carbon, 350bhp, Ohlins etc...

Bit odd that two appear at the same time - wonder who is selling these two without even driving them...and why..?

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2021-ariel-atom-4-3

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:56 pm

Sounds to me like they've been bought by a Company in the Motor Trade, whereby I think that they don't have to Register them until they are sold on to the Public.
Similar to when they would buy your Used Car, and it goes onto their Stock until it's sold, but they never appear on the Registration Certificate as having owned it.
Car Showrooms, only Register New Cars when they sell them, so that's my thoughts on the situation, with Collecting Cars buying them just to make a tidy Profit.

(Update: I've just noticed that the second one is Registered, so my comments only apply to the Unregistered one)

devonatom

Post by devonatom » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:11 pm

Sorry - didn't look at the advert properly and note the second one is indeed registered! Nice car though for someone if they want to beat the waiting list....

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:17 pm

You can buy a car from Ariel and not register it. You wont be able to drive it on the open road. Say you then sold it 2 years later. The new owner can register it then and become the first registered keeper.

The VAT issue has been raised before on forums and when probed the OP went quiet lol

If I owned a business that used Atoms SOLELY to train racing drivers then I believe you could claim the vat back.
When selling on you will have to pay the VAT on the agreed second hand price.

It is very difficult to prove to HMRC that you have no personal use of the car so VAT usually has to paid upfront then claimed back.

Maybe some accountants on here could help explain

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:30 am

John Scherrer wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:23 pm That's pretty unusual to see a car that's unregistered ..

That one sold yesterday for £47,000 + £2350 fees = £49,350, which seems like an excessive premium just to skip the queue on a very basic car.
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

u412499

Post by u412499 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:12 am

Yes cheaper if bought by a buyer outside the UK where the platform fee is 5%.

According to the FAQs on Collecting Cars for UK buyers their fees are 6% (inclusive of VAT) of the winning bid.

So a £47,000 winning bid would have cost a UK buyer £49,820.

DJW

Post by DJW » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:37 pm

devonatom wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:42 pm Also see there is another one on Collecting Cars - higher spec but again unregistered with only 40 miles - carbon, 350bhp, Ohlins etc...

Bit odd that two appear at the same time - wonder who is selling these two without even driving them...and why..?

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2021-ariel-atom-4-3
Didn’t sell. Highest bid was £58k, so additional 6% buyers fees to take into consideration.

devonatom

Post by devonatom » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:41 pm

If anyone is looking for a nearly new Atom 4 just seen that there is one for sale with Castle Motors (Cornwall) - £72,500

https://www.castlemotors.com/used-ariel ... ll-3795601

James McBrown

Post by James McBrown » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:13 pm

I purchased the unregistered Atom from Collecting Cars. It was ordered 3 years ago and during that time the owner moved abroad and asked Collecting Cars nominated management company to handle the sale. They expected the Atom to make more than the final auction price. I feel it is good value when you take the size of the waiting list and the asking prices of secondhand Atom 4's I've looked at. When making a decision I considered that if I ordered one now there would be several price increases during the wait time. Given the current global situation for raw materials etc, it is hard to see Honda not asking more for their unit and the manufacturers of the other components hiking up their prices. I also have the use of the Atom now, and I cant put a figure on what that is worth to me. It wasn’t bought as an investment, only to give me total driving pleasure.

I bought the Atom to use on road and track and it won't be a garage queen. I'm currently using my McLaren 600LT Spider for track days and felt it was time to buy an Atom as I've wanted one for years. I'll now have 2 great enthusiast cars in my garage. Once I've had it on track I'll make any changes to brakes, suspension, tyres etc that I feel are required. Any advice would be very welcome indeed.

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:47 pm

Welcome James, looks like an amazing car, you should be really pleased.

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:45 am

James McBrown wrote: Once I've had it on track I'll make any changes to brakes, suspension, tyres etc that I feel are required. Any advice would be very welcome indeed.
Welcome. You seem to have bought it with you eyes wide open, so good luck to you.

The obvious changes for a track car would be upgraded brakes, adjustable shocks, 5 point harness and a baffled sump. You may also want the 350bhp upgrade and the much nicer Rizoma Radial RS mirrors. Then there's carbon Tillet seats, front and rear carbon aerofoils, forged wheels...

I suggest you call the factory and they can give you advice and costs for the various upgrades, but I would reckon on £15-20k, or much more if you go for the aerofoils and carbon wheels.

Enjoy.Image

2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

James McBrown

Post by James McBrown » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:24 pm

Fastlane wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:45 am
James McBrown wrote: Once I've had it on track I'll make any changes to brakes, suspension, tyres etc that I feel are required. Any advice would be very welcome indeed.
Welcome. You seem to have bought it with you eyes wide open, so good luck to you.

The obvious changes for a track car would be upgraded brakes, adjustable shocks, 5 point harness and a baffled sump. You may also want the 350bhp upgrade and the much nicer Rizoma Radial RS mirrors. Then there's carbon Tillet seats, front and rear carbon aerofoils, forged wheels...

I suggest you call the factory and they can give you advice and costs for the various upgrades, but I would reckon on £15-20k, or much more if you go for the aerofoils and carbon wheels.

Enjoy.Image
I’ll look into suspension, brakes and a baffled sump over the Winter. In relative terms that seems good value compared to the world of McLaren. Carbon wheels and seats don’t interest me at all. I’m quite sure I’ll have plenty of fun without them.

I’ve a 718 Spyder PDK coming as well next Spring so it’ll be interesting to see how they all compare on lap times. I suspect the McLaren will probably be quicker with Trofeo R tyres on.