Atoms for sale - information thread

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Luckky

Re: Atoms for sale - information thread

Post by Luckky » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:45 pm

@Namastebuzz, you will not regret it, mine felt like ages but in the same breath, flew by. Part of the fun is reading back all the views on this forum; personalising yours and the changing the spec and the colour 10x over until that terribly exciting day when you need to actually lock in here the spec and that’s before you get the damn thing. Mines scary fast and I love it despite only doing 6miles in the last few weeks since I picker her up due to the weather.

Keep chatting here, we will all keep your interest peaked

Chrissey1

Post by Chrissey1 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:41 pm

Hi All,

Interesting comments and I agree some dealers are racketeers.

I spoke to Ben at Ariel today and he was extremely helpful and explained the 28 month waiting time and sent me the build/cost spreadsheet, I think I will do the same and go for a new one.

Chris

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:27 pm

I love everyone’s patience. My instant take was buy a new one, until I heard how long the wait.
Used all day everyday, life’s too short, a lot can happen in 2+ years. For a start you’ll be 2 years older

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Encro

Post by Encro » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:04 am

I see am not the only one searching for an atom 4 lol was so close to buying a decent example in Chichester 2 weeks ago for 54k but seller got a better offer elsewhere and did the dirty on me last minute leaving me with atom 4 insurance policy and train tickets lol. The 65k atom sounds like someone just trying there luck flipping a car that cost them 45k ish. The customer service is pretty bad too and they won't provide the full spec sheet. I'd give it a miss guys. The 7.5k above build price is over as that buyer was in Germany and Brexit is implemented now.

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:06 am

Namastebuzz wrote:Been looking at used Atoms for a couple of months now.

I've seen a £44k built car go for £54k on collectingcars and now that £65k car which cost less than £45k new on Autotrader/eBay. Add to that someone offering £7.5k over build cost for any Atom4 and £3k to "buy" a build slot. A proliferation of 8-12yr old Atoms going for £35-45k and ex track school/ experience day cars being sold with "low mileage" - slightly overlooking the fact that ALL those miles were on track.

I've decided a new one, to my preferred spec, is preferable to most of the cars I've seen and I'll just suck up the 28 month wait......
Also gives u more time to save up for some extra goodies...

Encro

Post by Encro » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:16 am

Noticed a new atom on collecting cars, anyone know the history?

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2008-ariel-atom-3

phil4

Post by phil4 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:29 am

At a guess, it's Mike Wood's. Don't recall seeing that name around here however.

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:45 am

funnily enough

have have just readvertised mine on pistonheads and had a call from collecting cars about using their service

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:02 am

That number plate might sell it if it’s staying with the car!

AT04RRR
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Namastebuzz

Post by Namastebuzz » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:38 am

Thanks for the input people. 👍

I think collecting cars is a great place for sellers. It's the buyer who has to cough up the 6% fee on top. The seller gets 100% of the sale price.

Collectingcars themselves take no responsibility for vehicles not being as described either so it's a good number for them and they get their 6% for doing (as far as I can make out) very little. Although I'll stand to be corrected if that's not the case.

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:04 am

CAG3D wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:27 pm I love everyone’s patience. My instant take was buy a new one, until I heard how long the wait.
Used all day everyday, life’s too short, a lot can happen in 2+ years. For a start you’ll be 2 years older Image
I was the same. Went to the factory, talked to Tom, talked second hand and then Atom 4, he mentioned the long waiting list (over 2 years at that point) was taken out by Reg in the supercharged demonstrator, decided I needed a supercharged car ASAP, found AlanP's old car, had the factory sort everything and bought it. Just over 2 years and 6k miles later, it is still a thrill to get back into it, hear that supercharger banshee wail and feel my arse pucker up and my vision blur as I put my foot down...

No matter how many times I see and hear the 4, I still think a supercharged Atom (especially a 3.5R) is a far more exciting/visceral car. People should really experience an earlier car before waiting and/or paying a premium for a 4. Having said that, I haven't driven/been out in a 4, so I may be talking bollocks!
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

ArBrMD

Post by ArBrMD » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:45 pm

Fastlane wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:04 am No matter how many times I see and hear the 4, I still think a supercharged Atom (especially a 3.5R) is a far more exciting/visceral car. People should really experience an earlier car before waiting and/or paying a premium for a 4. Having said that, I haven't driven/been out in a 4, so I may be talking bollocks!
That's what I tought as well!

That is why I bought a second hand Atom 3.5R this week!!! (excited²)
In the proces of insuring it, also the ECU hes been sent to the UK for downgrading the 'cup-car' setting to 'newby standard atom' setting. as soon as it is back, i will be able to drive MY VERY ONW ATOM (excited³) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool:

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:10 pm

ArBrMD wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:45 pm
Fastlane wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:04 am No matter how many times I see and hear the 4, I still think a supercharged Atom (especially a 3.5R) is a far more exciting/visceral car. People should really experience an earlier car before waiting and/or paying a premium for a 4. Having said that, I haven't driven/been out in a 4, so I may be talking bollocks!
That's what I tought as well!

That is why I bought a second hand Atom 3.5R this week!!! (excited²)
In the proces of insuring it, also the ECU hes been sent to the UK for downgrading the 'cup-car' setting to 'newby standard atom' setting. as soon as it is back, i will be able to drive MY VERY ONW ATOM (excited³) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool:
Congratulations! You will not be disappointed.

:vroom: :tu:
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

Cro

Post by Cro » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:02 am

Encro wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:16 am Noticed a new atom on collecting cars, anyone know the history?

Is it just me or is that really rough in parts? At least it’s an honest set of photographs for buyers

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:13 am

Cro wrote:
Encro wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:16 am Noticed a new atom on collecting cars, anyone know the history?

Is it just me or is that really rough in parts? At least it’s an honest set of photographs for buyers
The wheels do have some odd scuff marks around the bolts. Its not been kerbed but prob hit a tyre wall/armcoImage