Atoms for sale - information thread

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Cro

Re: Atoms for sale - information thread

Post by Cro » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:28 pm

phil4 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:41 pm I swear this car was listed for £28k when I commented. Indeed I was even doing some man maths to work out if I could, and if i could squeeze it in the garage.

At 38k I think it’s a bit too rich. Forget the crash, more that it’s got plenty of miles and engine and gearbox are many years old.

And while it’s reasonable spec it’s not stand out.

At that price, I think Simon’s right, you’d be better spending a smidge more and getting a 4, or looking for better spec/less old/less mile atoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prices seem strong at the moment, but I guess summer does that! I think if it had been 28 i'd have been able to overlook a lot at would have flown over to check it out.

Does anyone know the current waiting list time for a 4? Holding deposit I assume is all that is required?

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:45 pm

Cro wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:28 pm Does anyone know the current waiting list time for a 4? Holding deposit I assume is all that is required?
I think the current list is circa 2-2.5 years. I think the deposit to get on that list is £3000, and is non-refundable.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:45 pm

Pre-Covid, the waiting list was close to 3 years, from memory. I assume that lead in time has only increased since.

Cheers,
Hedge

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:01 pm

autobackup wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:08 am Simon

Would your opinion be the same if it had never been in an accident but had simply had a complete new rebuild that included a new 3.5 spec frame?
autobackup,

Yes my view is the same regardless of the rebuild. If Ariel did it, then that would give me confidence it was done properly. Ordering a 4 requires someone to wait a long time of course, I do have patience so it was ok for me, but this is not the case for everyone of course. I actually almost bought a Radical RXC before Christmas then Tom said he had a chassis available, so I went that road. If I were waiting for a 4 now, I'd just buy a Radical, track that for 3 years then sell it if needing the cash to pay for the 4 when the build slot comes up.

Rena

Post by Rena » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:23 am

Hi,

Looking for a AA3 and found this one in Sweden (live here).
As I can see, no baffled sump, but otherwise it seems OK for mainly road use.

Any comments or input on this one?
Atom 3 - rear.jpg
Atom 3 - rear.jpg (304.22 KiB) Viewed 411 times
Atom 3 - front.jpg
Atom 3 - front.jpg (573.15 KiB) Viewed 411 times
Atom 3 - spec.jpg
Atom 3 - spec.jpg (454.27 KiB) Viewed 411 times
Atom 3 - top.jpg
Atom 3 - top.jpg (479.62 KiB) Viewed 411 times

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:22 pm

It has a pretty basic specification but as you say, is fine for road use, including no wind deflectors I think(?) but has the side panels. No mention of stainless steel fittings, which are a must for any Atom, especially in Northern Europe. How many miles/kms, what is the price, service history, no. of owners?

A call to the factory will confirm its original specification and when they last saw it - you just need the chassis number, or the UK registration number that is shown on it may work too.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:03 pm

This seems to be it? https://www.blocket.se/annons/ostergotl ... k/93222102
"An Ariel Atom in mint condition, only 1100 miles !! 245hp Honda type-R 2.0 Honda gearbox 6 speed Handbuilt by James Fevien Ariel Engine NOTE Unregistered at the moment Carbon fiber front Bilstein coilovers Eibach springs Tilton pedal rack incl. Pre-registered in England UK but lacks original paper, there is a purchase agreement and a pdf copy from Ariel Motor Perfect trackday / race car, fast and reliable, wagon book can be supplemented with original mounts for roll bar Out and chase porsche, radicals and other touring cars only, as fun out on the sea ice as on the racetrack .... Two competition series in Sweden that we competed in with other Atoms, SPVM and STEC More info about Ariel at arielatom.se"
25000SEK (£22.3k)

Comments:
This is obviously a former racing car, being sold by the Ariel dealer/Ariel experience day company in Sweden, as the advert states. My thoughts:
1. The advert says is has done 1100 miles, but the odometer shows 11693 miles (18800kms)
2. You mention it being OK for mainly road use, but it has no papers so most probably cannot be road registered
3. It does appear to be in good condition, so looks like it has been well maintained and/or tidied up for sale
4. The Honda gearboxes are very strong, even at 11000 miles, it is unusual to need a rebuild. Why did it need it?
5. The document says homologation in Spanish - why? It was originally registered in the UK on 2nd June 2010.
6. A track car would normally have a baffled sump, have they added one?
7. There is no mention of a service history, why not? Where are the invoices? Have they maintained it?
8. The price is low and reflects that it can only be used on track.
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:42 am

Spooky headless bikini lady lurking in the shadows in that last picture !
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Rena

Post by Rena » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:16 am

Fastlane wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:03 pm This seems to be it? https://www.blocket.se/annons/ostergotl ... k/93222102
"An Ariel Atom in mint condition, only 1100 miles !! 245hp Honda type-R 2.0 Honda gearbox 6 speed Handbuilt by James Fevien Ariel Engine NOTE Unregistered at the moment Carbon fiber front Bilstein coilovers Eibach springs Tilton pedal rack incl. Pre-registered in England UK but lacks original paper, there is a purchase agreement and a pdf copy from Ariel Motor Perfect trackday / race car, fast and reliable, wagon book can be supplemented with original mounts for roll bar Out and chase porsche, radicals and other touring cars only, as fun out on the sea ice as on the racetrack .... Two competition series in Sweden that we competed in with other Atoms, SPVM and STEC More info about Ariel at arielatom.se"
25000SEK (£22.3k)

Comments:
This is obviously a former racing car, being sold by the Ariel dealer/Ariel experience day company in Sweden, as the advert states. My thoughts:
1. The advert says is has done 1100 miles, but the odometer shows 11693 miles (18800kms)
2. You mention it being OK for mainly road use, but it has no papers so most probably cannot be road registered
3. It does appear to be in good condition, so looks like it has been well maintained and/or tidied up for sale
4. The Honda gearboxes are very strong, even at 11000 miles, it is unusual to need a rebuild. Why did it need it?
5. The document says homologation in Spanish - why? It was originally registered in the UK on 2nd June 2010.
6. A track car would normally have a baffled sump, have they added one?
7. There is no mention of a service history, why not? Where are the invoices? Have they maintained it?
8. The price is low and reflects that it can only be used on track.

Thank´s for your input. Will call Jonas at Ariel Sweden to get all the background information.
I don´t really know if it´s a former racing car, I think Jonas at Ariel Sweden is trying to help a customer to sell it. Of course I will check if it´s just used as a trackcar.
1. 11693 km on the odometer.
2. I think I have solution to get it roadlegal.
3. Jupp
4. Rebuild? I think google translate did something wrong. "Honda 6 speed gearbox. Handbuilt by James Fevien Ariel Motor "(I think he means the car is handbuilt)
5. Don´t understand why.
6. Will check
7. WIll check

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:35 am

I am not on facebook, so perhaps you can see a bit more than I do...

ArBrMD

Post by ArBrMD » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:10 pm

Hy all, I am new to the community and would like what you think about this car i am thinking about buying:

https://arielbelgium.be/used

Its a second hand atom 3 from 2011 upgraded to a 3.5R in 2015
The car is and always has been the property of the official Belgian Ariel dealer.
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (321.02 KiB) Viewed 297 times
ariel1.png
ariel1.png (400.54 KiB) Viewed 297 times
ariel2.png
ariel2.png (318.95 KiB) Viewed 297 times

Tompy

Post by Tompy » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:42 pm

ArBrMD wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:10 pm Hy all, I am new to the community and would like what you think about this car i am thinking about buying:

https://arielbelgium.be/used

Its a second hand atom 3 from 2011 upgraded to a 3.5R in 2015
The car is and always has been the property of the official Belgian Ariel dealer.

unnamed.jpg
ariel1.png
ariel2.png
This one is from Koen
Immaculate condition!!
Oil changes way more than needed.
Perfect car! And details on the plus side. If you have any questions just call him and he will be happy to help you with everything. I ve bought my atom 4 with him. Perfect service!!

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:39 am

This Atom was built in 2011 so would originally had an Atom 3.0 chassis.

The later Atom 3.5 had a stiffened chassis (15%) and the 3.5R, due to the extra power, REALLY needs this chassis upgrade.

There is no mention of this being done in the attached spec sheet - although the upgrade might have been done when the Sadev was fitted?

I would ask the question?

If this chassis mod has been done it looks to be a pretty good buy - if it hasn't been done the window would open for a price negotiation!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

ArBrMD

Post by ArBrMD » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:52 am

I think i will have to call Ariel for that one, Do you think they will give me the information even though I am not the owner?

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:53 am

Koen had a factory bare chassis upgrade to the 3.5R spec .. I think it was discussed on Facebook at the time, not so much on here ..

Not with the Sadev !

Here's a video of the car on track :-
(Keep going past the slow warm up lap ..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmKns5zswmc
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold