Atom 4 buyers spec discussion thread

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Luckky

Re: Atom 4 buyers spec discussion thread

Post by Luckky » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:41 pm

Peter255 wrote:Lets cut to the chase here everyone. Trying to restrict access to the spec sheet is pure marketing, and avoiding potential negative publicity.

Ariel market the car as a smidge under £40k. The review test mules were specced to over £60k with tasty £10k wheels, adjustable suspension, big brakes, handbrake, boost control, sports exhaust, optional frame colour, wheel colour etc etc. Indeed they may have been running the 350map ;) ;) But they were described as £40k.

Why allow posting and thus wider distribution of the option list with the £10-20K of options most of us are thinking about. Hiding all the extras makes it seem much more affordable and comparatively cheaper. £40k sounds good value. £60k sounds quite expensive. Its 50% more for flips sake! If you show everyone the sheet those interested will make their goal spec and then have the uncomfortable realisation of the true cost. Best keep that till after a deposit is down. ;)

But as Hedge says that's how Ariel work and we have to accept that or go elsewhere. :vroom:

I definitely want a decat pipe separately tho! Not worth paying £3k including a exhaust i can't use on track.
If anyone puts a deposit down without thinking it’s going to cost more for the options, please PM me.... I have a bridge that’s up for sale that you might be interested in ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:50 pm

Peter255 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:37 pm Lets cut to the chase here everyone. Trying to restrict access to the spec sheet is pure marketing, and avoiding potential negative publicity.

Ariel market the car as a smidge under £40k. The review test mules were specced to over £60k with tasty £10k wheels, adjustable suspension, big brakes, handbrake, boost control, sports exhaust, optional frame colour, wheel colour etc etc. Indeed they may have been running the 350map ;) ;) But they were described as £40k.

Why allow posting and thus wider distribution of the option list with the £10-20K of options most of us are thinking about. Hiding all the extras makes it seem much more affordable and comparatively cheaper. £40k sounds good value. £60k sounds quite expensive. Its 50% more for flips sake! If you show everyone the sheet those interested will make their goal spec and then have the uncomfortable realisation of the true cost. Best keep that till after a deposit is down. ;)

But as Hedge says that's how Ariel work and we have to accept that or go elsewhere. :vroom:

I definitely want a decat pipe separately tho! Not worth paying £3k including a exhaust i can't use on track.
The price list is Ariel's IP, it's up to them how they distribute it, maybe it's for marketing reasons but I don't think it is. Tom sent me the spec sheet before I went down to see the car (3.5) and before I placed a deposit so I knew what I was getting into. I also looked at the Radical SR3 RS and the Ultima Evo. Ultima is similar by the way they say you can build a car for way less than you can - technically you could have the car in stock but it would not be a fast car on track. My take on this is unless you are going to track the 4, you don't need half those options anyway, why would you need 3 way adj. dampers for the road ! lol or even a dry sump for the road, there are no corners really that you can get up to speed until you get caught up behind a little Corsa doing 40mph in a 60. The only thing that is absolute is the limited slip diff. I did think this was stock but it's not.

phil4

Atom 4 buyers spec discussion thread

Post by phil4 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:05 pm

Hedge wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:54 pm I do wonder why some on here are buying an Atom. The level of general distrust - for want of a better word - towards Ariel is a joke. Go buy another car, if you're that unhappy.
I'm not sure there's much distrust in the posts, disagreement perhaps, but that's everyone's prerogative. Ariel isn't a charity, your best mate nor a religion. It is a money making company however. Should we trust them to make a great car? Sure. But should we trust them to do it at cost? No, don't be silly. If they think they can make more money, then they will and should. That's what a company does.

Reg's point is a good one. We know how great the car is when it's got lots of options. But we don't yet know the level of greatness at the base 40K mark.

Did we expect it to cost more? Yes, I think if you read back a few pages we were indeed speculating on how much more, and what cost we'd expect. This sort of debate is healthy, and provided it doesn't become a slanging match, or get too off track, I don't see why it shouldn't continue.

Do I like the cars? heck yeah. Will I buy another? too right. But at the end of the day, I'm handing my hard earned pennies over to a company, and it's not unreasonable to question what we get for those pennies and debate what the right choices are etc.

reg

Post by reg » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:08 pm

Luckky wrote:
If anyone puts a deposit down without thinking it’s going to cost more for the options, please PM me.... I have a bridge that’s up for sale that you might be interested in ImageImageImageImage
I knew what it would cost, doesn't bother me tbh as the 3.5 was the same. But, you can't push a development car out there and have various press outlets get all excited about '£40K' when the thing they're driving is £65K. That kind of changes things in my world. One thing is for sure, used values will remain strong on the older cars :D

reg

Post by reg » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:02 pm

simonrhart wrote:
The price list is Ariel's IP, it's up to them how they distribute it, maybe it's for marketing reasons but I don't think it is. Tom sent me the spec sheet before I went down to see the car (3.5) and before I placed a deposit so I knew what I was getting into. I also looked at the Radical SR3 RS and the Ultima Evo. Ultima is similar by the way they say you can build a car for way less than you can - technically you could have the car in stock but it would not be a fast car on track. My take on this is unless you are going to track the 4, you don't need half those options anyway, why would you need 3 way adj. dampers for the road ! lol or even a dry sump for the road, there are no corners really that you can get up to speed until you get caught up behind a little Corsa doing 40mph in a 60. The only thing that is absolute is the limited slip diff. I did think this was stock but it's not.
Of course it is. It's a plain as a Belgian eurovision entry :D

Depends what you want, the Ohlins, big brakes for me are a must, and the baffled sump, that's just insurance. I'm surprised they don't dry sump the Atom actually given how tall it is. The LSD was stock, absolutely included on the base spec lust, it appears they have changed their minds. Who on earth would buy a 300HP lightweight car without an LSD?

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:23 am

Not many of the costs are a surprise to me. In isolation its all quite expensive, but so were the earlier cars options.

However the point of this thread was to discuss the surprises, and what people are opting for.

Reg is right that there should be more transparency with reviews. "Price as reviewed" should be included IMO, or they should review the base spec car if the price is stated as £40k.

Anyways back to the spec. I am disappointed wheel paint is now getting expensive and you have to pay for most frame colours now even the standard silver!

I'll be honest i have NEVER even seen a supercharged Atom (comparable to the turbo) with standard (not sport) base model brakes. Surely thats an unwise choice even for the road! Fair enough sports all around on the road. And the basic ones were fine for older NA cars. Are they still suitable for the front of a 320BHp Atom 4?

IMO LSD and Sport front brakes should be standard purely for safety.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:02 am

Peter255 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:23 am and you have to pay for most frame colours now even the standard silver!
That one surprised me the most, especially when if I've understood it you now get satin black frame and silver wheels as base. A bit like the LSD in reverse - who would order that?

The LSD, it's not just that it should be there, and you thought it would be there, the Ariel site's spec says it's there.

That all being said, perhaps this is a blessing in disguise. Sure it means we've no LSD and odd paint combo at 40K, buuuut, if they'd included those, even at cost, the price would have been just above 40K, meaning we then have extra road tax at registration and another £300 odd per year for the following 5 years.

So rather than being odd they've not included more, perhaps the only shame is that there really isn't a cheap Atom available new any more.

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:49 am

Heres my spec. I do about 5k miles per year on the road and about 4-6 trackdays a year but I am not the quickest driver and just want to have fun on the track. Trying to keep it around the 55k-57k mark

Any advice is always welcome

Atom 4 320bhp 6 Speed
350 BHP upgrade - Sports Exhaust Silencer with Decat pipe + ECU reflash
Limited Slip Differential
Standard Silencer as Spare for Track Days
3 Stage Variable Turbo Boost Controller
Traction Control
Baffled Engine Oil Sump
AP Racing 4 Pot Caliper/290mm Disc Front
AP Racing 4 Pot Caliper/290mm Disc Rear
Handbrake System for Rear 4 Pot Caliper Brakes
Bilstein Single Adjustable Dampers with 2 piece springs - Road/Track
Quick Release Steering Wheel
Reversing Camera System
Road Legal Wheel and Track Day Tyre Package
Stainless Steel Fixings
Aero Screen
High-Level Brake Light
Locking Fuel Cap
12v. Auxillary feed with Cigarette Lighter Type Socket
Passenger + clutch footrest
Battery Optimiser/Trickle Charger
IVA Test

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:09 am

markwetherall wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:49 am Heres my spec... Any advice is always welcome
If it were me, I'd consider a towing eye of some sort so if you get beached in some gravel they don't damage it too much pulling it out. There's lots of other more track focused stuff but it does put the price up.

My other suggestion is find out what the reversing system is, it could be that it's included as some sort of EU compliance type deal, and if so may not be quite as nicely integrated as you'd hope (It won't be shoddy, as Ariel don't do that, but might just not be as you imagined).

One question I do have, does anyone know anything about the "Tail tidy" that appears a few times in various forms through the list?

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:43 am

Looks pretty good mark! :tu:

For me the boost controller is pointless but thats a personal thing.
Traction control could be good if its adjustable. Might be pricey tho. All the missing prices are probably significant!
Reversing Camera System might be a bit pointless. Need to see the install really.

I agree with Phil over the towing straps for track work. Prevents damage if they need to recover your car.

Don't forget the cost of wheel and frame colours! :(

Am i blind or missing the painted bulkheads option?

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:53 am

Peter255 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:43 am Am i blind or missing the painted bulkheads option?
At a guess, they're done satin black like the frame, and I think the demo car.

Dogz111

Post by Dogz111 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:38 pm

I’ve been hankering after an Atom for 2 or 3 years now and drove the 3.5 prob a year and 1/2 ago but decided to wait for the atom 4.

I’ve read every review I can lay my hands on plus scoured the forums and have been devouring the options list I received yesterday

I’m looking to try and keep the car to a reasonable level, so £45k - £50k max and have so far got the following spec

LSD
Baffeled sump
Turbo controller - might be tempted by this but not sure
AP front brakes
Sports rear
Aero screen
Locking filler cap
12v usb feed
Front foot rests
Iva test / tax

I’m looking at the boost to 350bhp with the exhaust and decat pipes as well as the suspension options

I agree with all the people who have mentioned so far the glowing reviews on the new car are highly specced examples

I personally think the biggest fau pass is not allowing people to drive the new car. I appreciate that they say they will take people out for a drive but that isn’t good enough in my opinion when sinking at least £40K on the car. I just need to convince the mrs which I’m pretty much there with and I’ll be leaving my deposit. Had I not already driven a 3.5 and known how good the outgoing car was then I might not have been convinced.

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:13 pm

I have added tow eye to my list. The traction control I am estimating between 1k and 2k and my understanding (think I saw it in a review) is it is a 9 stage traction control system. The boost option I think is well worth it as I let me teenage kids drive the car on tract so nice to be able to decrease the power and also increase the traction control. Also would be a great thing to have in the wet especially with 350bhp.

Will go for cheapest options on colours as you can always wrap it afterwards in something a bit more fun

Shame Ariel wont do a track day where we could have 15 mins to drive the car to see if we like it. Same as Lotus does. Seeing as we cannot drive it on the roads

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:25 pm

markwetherall wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:13 pm The traction control I am estimating between 1k and 2k
I wonder if it's being done with something like an ABS sensor... that'd explain the cost. My rough understanding is it'd be very very beneficial to know how fast the front and rear wheels are turning (indeed each wheel) to detect overspeed at the rear, and then tame it with cutting the power at the engine.

Indeed I can't think of a good way to do it without.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:00 pm

It is a big ask to put down money on a car you have never driven.

It is especially hard for people who have never driven a supercharged Atom (the closest thing we can get).

A passenger ride won't tell you about the control feedback / feel etc.

I can however understand the insurance problem. :vroom: