Atom as a '' Daily Driver ''

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
carspath

Atom as a '' Daily Driver ''

Post by carspath » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:53 pm

Hello Ariel Atom owners and enthusiasts
This is my first posting on this forum

I'm considering an Atom as a daily driver (in place of my very long-standing Mk 1 MX5 )
, and would appreciate any considered advice .

I need to use the car 2 days a week to get to work , but this will include leaving home at 6.45 am in the depths of winter (NB : I live on the South Coast , but have seen some snow most years )

My wife has a ''sensible car'' , which I will have access to .

I have / have had a couple of light weight cars , and quite honestly would love to run an Atom , despite it obviously not being the sensible option .

However if others have done this previously , and tell me it is completely mad , then I would think again .

Any advice on the following points would be gratefully received :

-insurance

-Atom 2 vs 3 (purchase price is a serious consideration , and while I don't want to pick up a pack of trouble just because it is cheap , I need to keep the purchase price down )

-clothing / waterproof bags for the notes I have to take to and from work

-servicing

-reliability issues ...….esp between the Atom 2 and 3

-security /immobiliser

-waterproof outdoor cover

- anything else that I might have missed out that you think might be relevant

Thank you

Carspath

Hedge

Re: Atom as a '' Daily Driver ''

Post by Hedge » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:00 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I've done my pretty odd things in Atoms over the years but I would never ever consider using one as a (true) daily driver. That said, you're only intent on using it twice a week, so....

Have you been in one, incidentally? That would be a good place to start - both for you & in terms of further discussion.

Cheers,
Hedge

thomas_fr

Post by thomas_fr » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:44 am

Doable, it's like a motorbike about weather (helmet, gloves, pant, vest, ...), and we see "lots" of motorbikes during winter :tu:

phil4

Post by phil4 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:49 am

Welcome!

I appreciate it's only 2 days a week, but even that could be a fair amount.

Let's take the worst case of heavy rain or snow. Yes, with the right gear you'll be ok with the rain, though it'll not be a lot of fun. Snow however, I'd just not bother, you've neither the clearance nor the grip.

I suspect that covering large numbers of miles each year will impact the value of the car, especially if driver come rain or shine. Likewise insurance might not be too cheap. It seems expensive enough even on limited mileage.

The other thing I can think of is that regardless of value, you'll probably quickly end up with quite a tatty car, what with stone chips, exposed metal (rose joints etc) it'll either need refreshing quite often, or live with it as is. I doubt the engine would complain much, but other components might not do so well.

What tips would I have though? I'd go with an Atom 3 if you can, I wouldn't worry about a supercharged one, NA will be plenty fast enough. Definitely ensure it had the stainless steel option, so all nuts and bolts are SS, or do this yourself after. Likewise the plastic side panels, to try and help with the cold air and rain.

I still think you're mad :) The Atom is a great car when the weather is nice and roads open and flowing, but in heavy traffic, rain or snow, there are lots of better places to be. Apart from snow, it's likely to get you where you want, but why do it? It'll survive unexpected, but why do it on purpose?

Back to your wife's car, if that's the plan for rain/snow, then it becomes a more reasonable proposition, but do bear in mind the bits above.

Regardless, as Hedge says... go try one first. Good luck!

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:01 pm

Welcome to the forum but your man maths are a little off. ;)

It has all the un-practicality of a bike without the traffic skipping ability due to the size. All it has in favour is more luggage space than a bike.

Think of it as a large motorbike. Its fine in the wet with care just like a motorbike. You just get wet. In the snow like a motorbike its not leaving the garage.

You will get cold in Autumn / winter if you don't wrap up carefully.

Honestly its not much fun in traffic with no heater, no radio, engine and wind noise etc.

If you can afford a Atom you can afford a £500 run around to drive on wet cold days (or maybe every day to work!). Keep the Atom in the garage to enjoy when weather and conditions are suitable. This WILL work out cheaper in the long run and more comfortable on the route to work (in the dry, warm, listening to the radio).

If you must do this, a smoother Atom 3/3,5 with side panels and a windscreen would be a help, but its still a bad idea.

Atoms need fast flowing preferably smooth tarmac without lots of traffic. Better still a race track or airfield. Stop-start commuting in amongst other idiots on the way to work is painful.

Sorry to rain on your parade. Just buy a run around for the commute, and the Atom for fun times! You'll thank me in the long run. ;)
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

carspath

Post by carspath » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:50 pm

Thank you all for taking the time to post such considered information .

It is good to hear from people who have had direct long-term experience of the Atom , and I suspect that I knew in my heart of hearts what you have unanimously very clearly stated .

I actually got taken out in an Atom by Tom almost 10 years ago , but ended up buying the prototype Brooke , purely because it was cheaper . (I kept the Brooke for 9 years )
Henry then took me out about 8 months ago , but I ended up buying a KTM X Bow R.

I cannot justify another toy car , but equally would love to have an Atom , so the Man-Maths concluded that a daily driver Atom would square the circle .

I would be quite mad to ignore what you have all explained so clearly

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to do so .

Enjoy your lovely toys

Carspath

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:17 pm

This thread pretty much sums up why I bought a Nomad.

I had an Atom 2 for 3 years (working from home) and it was the everyday car popping to the pub, visiting folk etc. It was a bit uncomfortable on everyday roads and you quickly realise how exposed you are. And getting caught in a shower without a lid stings like hell!

5 years later and I'm back working from home, but this time, with a Nomad. It is much more forgiving on our shite roads and offers a lot more 'protection' with a roll cage and windscreen. Custom made fabric roof, All Terrain tyres (which are snow rated BTW) and a foot of ground clearance should deal with the worst of the weather.

Still get wet. Still get cold. Still can't nip through traffic like the bikes do. But the sense of enjoyment in being in such a machine was a no-brainer for me.

cheeky_chops

Post by cheeky_chops » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Peter255 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:01 pm If you can afford a Atom you can afford a £500 run around to drive on wet cold days (or maybe every day to work!). Keep the Atom in the garage to enjoy when weather and conditions are suitable. This WILL work out cheaper in the long run and more comfortable on the route to work (in the dry, warm, listening to the radio).
This. The atom will corrode to pieces on out salty roads. IIRC in the user manual it says to wash the car down after taking it on salt treated roads (or did i imagine that...?)

A shed will cost £100pm to run even if reliable. Had a Y reg volvo for a year, MOT was the kicker at £500. I now have a 3 year old nissan leaf - costs buttons to run, auto heating and meant i could use man maths to fund my Atom and enjoy it when the weather is suitable. I got stuck at work in the atom and it rained, it was a miserable place to be even in light rain on mild july day