Boost by gear setup

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
s2kseven

Boost by gear setup

Post by s2kseven » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:33 am

I recently upgraded my turbocharger to a much bigger turbine and compressor. It's a ballbearing .82 a/r and 70 a/r compressor.
The engine now produced 405hp @ 12psi boost. With this power, i decided to map my turbocharged atom to run on boost by gear. Boosting so much in first and 2nd from standing start is pretty dangerous and unusable in any type of the road. No reason to dump all the boost in the low gear if the tires are not hooking up.
Boost by gear is a term used by tuners to infer that the car is tuned to run different amounts of boost pressure, based on the gear they are currently in. The benefits to doing this are that the vehicle gains better drivability & traction, as the motor is restricted in its power by running lower boost levels.
The reason one would want to do this based on gear is the fact that gearing gives the motor such a mechanical advantage, that this advantage must be controlled by varying the engine’s horsepower output by varying the amount of boost the motor see's. To attain boost by gear, you need to install a 3 ports or 4 ports hondata electronic boost controller. Unfortunately this type of control (electronic boost solenoid)can only be done on a turbocharged car. Currently there is not a system on the market that can vary the boost of a supercharger which most of the ATOM are supercharged. If you want to know how it was done, pls let me know.