Water temperature

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Toilet Duck

Water temperature

Post by Toilet Duck » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:36 am

Morning all,

Just wondering what sort of water temps people are seeing. What is the "safe" operating range, including track use during the warmer summer months? I've noticed that the recent warmer spells we have had has resulted in higher water temps/more regular fan activity (which I would expect), I'm just wondering what the safe max temperature is, especially with track use in the middle of summer? I did a track day at Snetterton early last month, and it was a hot day (I'm guessing around 20 degrees C?). I noticed that the water temp went up to around 100/102 out on track. Is that "normal/safe?" What water temps would you expect (road and track use) on a really hot day e.g. high 20's degree C? If it makes a difference, my car is a 3 300.

Also, I know the factory offer a twin rad/fan upgrade for "hot climates", what do they class as "hot climates"? No doubt its not the UK with its crappy weather!

Cheers :)
Last edited by Toilet Duck on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3 300

Glen Belfast

Re: Water temperature

Post by Glen Belfast » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:18 am

Morning,

I drive watties old car which has the dual rads, as it was built for use in cyprus. Car operates at 83-84 consistently and to be honest have yet to see it peak over about 96 

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:32 am

Not been on track with my atom (3 300). On the roads as long as I'm at speed the WT never really goes over 90. It's only if I'm in town traffic it will creep to 93/94.

smokin

Post by smokin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:06 pm

Never seen mine in three figures even on mid summer full tilt track days (but I always do a cool down lap). Wonder if your thermostat or sender is playing up. What temp does the dash report at the point the fan kicks in?
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Cheers for the replies gents.

It normally stays around 84ish when driving around, on motorway etc. Obviously it starts creeping up when in traffic, especially after "pushing on" a bit. The fan cuts in and gradually reduces the temps back down, but I'll have to check to see what temp it actually reaches before triggering the fan.

Do we think 100/102 driving hard on track in warm weather is outside what's "normal"? After a cool down lap, I return to the pits and leave the engine/fan running and shut it off once the fan stops.

Smokin, what's the highest temp you've seen on track in summer then?

Cheers all
Atom 3 300

smokin

Post by smokin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:47 pm

top end of the nineties so not far away from what you're seeing.

I did have a sensor replaced not long after buying the car as it was reporting higher than reality temp. It was reporting 90+ when it should have said 80+. I held off track days until sorted just to be safe although would probably have been ok as I think there's a sensor that triggers the fan and a different one that reports to the dash.
Last edited by smokin on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:57 pm

[quote="smokin"]
top end of the nineties so not far away from what you're seeing.

I did have a sensor replaced not long after buying the car as it was reporting higher than reality temp. It was reporting 90+ when it should have said 80+. I held off track days until sorted just to be safe although would probably have been ok as I think there's a sensor that triggers the fan and a different one that reports to the dash.
[/quote]

Yep there will almost certainly be two different sensors, one which supplied temp data to the ECU and the other to the dash.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:57 pm

I would have thought the water temp sensor on the engine fed the ECU and the SPA dash and a separate sensor/themostat at the front radiator switched on/off the radiator fan ...?
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

smokin

Post by smokin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:56 pm

On my Atom 2 I have (I think) a sensor on top of the water outlet and one inline on the hose that heads from it to the rad.

Arrows on pic - please excuse the condition of the engine it was pre the xmas refurb
Attachments
SAM_0132.jpg
Last edited by smokin on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:53 pm

[quote="John Scherrer"]
I would have thought the water temp sensor on the engine fed the ECU and the SPA dash and a separate sensor/themostat at the front radiator switched on/off the radiator fan ...?
[/quote]

On my Atom 1 the ECU controlled the fan and the dash / ecu had separate sensors.

eta: a quick google shows that Hondas also use a separate sensor for the dash and the ECU and on more modern cars the ECU controls the fan. 

Earlier Hondas have a fan switch built into the radiator but I don't think the Atom has this.  It makes much more sense for the ECU to control the fan as it can adapt the temperature it comes in based on parameters other than water temp.

Ben
Last edited by benyeats on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:45 am

[quote="Toilet Duck"]
I noticed that the water temp went up to around 100/102 out on track. Is that "normal/safe?" What water temps would you expect (road and track use) on a really hot day e.g. high 20's degree C? If it makes a difference, my car is a 3 300.

Also, I know the factory offer a twin rad/fan upgrade for "hot climates", what do they class as "hot climates"? No doubt its not the UK with its crappy weather![/quote]
20's is not hot. I've driven my Atom on the road in 52 degree weather :o (link - note temperatures there are in F, not C). That place and temperature brings out the craziness in people - the Badwater Ultramarathon had just finished, and out of 80 entrants, 73 made it to the finish line 135 miles away. I had trouble just sitting in the Atom. ::)

That created higher oil / water temperatures at road speeds than the temperatures I see at the track (though I don't drive the car hard on the track). My highest recorded oil temperature was at the same location as above, where it hit 108.

Note that this is on a Brammo Atom 2, so not directly comparable to any other model.

Walrus

Post by Walrus » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Normal driving temperature is 84.  It often goes to the mid-90's on a warm day during spirited driving.  I slow down or put it in a higher gear when it hits 100 and starts to flash.  Highest temp was 104 on the track.

fb.george

Post by fb.george » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:59 pm

Opening this string in advance of the predicted heatwave. Taking my 2012 3 245 to Brands GP circuit on Monday. Slightly troubled by the fact I will be thrashing the arse off the car on what might be the hottest day in the UK!
Did we ever get to a landing on what is the highest upper operating temperature range before giving the car a rest?
Thanks in advance

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:43 pm

As per the previous post to yours, I suspect 100 is the figure ?

Make sure to do a couple of slow cooling laps before pitting to allow for heat soak and avoid the exhaust frying the wiring loom.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

fb.george

Post by fb.george » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:10 pm

Thanks John
If it hits 100 I plan to slow it down; also limit continuous running to 5 laps I think
There is also a product called “water wetter” that Steve has referred to which I might be able to find in an auto shop (too late for Amazon but will get for the future)
Much appreciated